NadeMagnet

Whatever. My stiffi was cut and if mine was they all are
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2008, 01:01 AM #23
HARDKNOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RygorMortis View Post
lol, how does anything I say even imply that I am 12 years old, I have backed up my position with facts and first hand experience, you have reverted to petty name calling
Im not name calling, Im just making a point that some people are just childish with their responses on an internet forum.
I posted pictures backing up my facts, can we all see your pictures that back up your facts?

RygorMortis, How long (time reference wise) do you think it takes to make a carbon fiber barrel?
HARDKNOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 AM #24
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

has been a member for 10 years
well that depends on which method you believe they use. If they are simply cutting it from one long rod it would take a matter of minutes, if you believe that they weave each barrel together separately it takes several hours provided you have the proper machinery to do so

The reason I do not have pictures is I do not have a camera set up to take pictures through a microscope, if I did I would post pictures. I still fail to see how anything I am saying is childish, and you have yet to point anything out that fits such a description.
I am sorry if you are not used to people questioning your work but if you post a few blurry pictures and claim that your work is as good as a professionals without any reason to believe you are more than a kid with a saw I am going to be very skeptical for obvious reasons

Guns only lead to problems…But when they come we will be ready to blow their freaken heads off
RygorMortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM #25
HARDKNOX

what is your first hand experience exactly? Where is the profit in a $100 barrel if it takes a few hours to just perfect 1? It obvious they take a large sheet of carbon fibre, soak it in catalyst resin and roll it around a madrel rod. Once cured it's cut to length and the porting holes are drilled. At that point the barrel is honed and polished.
I have never been to a paintball barrel manufacture to say first hand that's how it's done. But I'll bet you dollars to doughnutsthat I'm pretty close to being right with the procedures. (I have been to other manufacture plants, and this would be the typical procedure with making a part like this out of CF or the likes)
Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 PM #26
InSilence

Why don't you guys call the people that make the barrels and find out. There is only one CF barrel that is made in the USA though. So the rest you will have to call China. The barrels (if you want to call them that) from China are not even auto claved they are just cooked. Making them structurally CRAP. The USA barrels are hand made! They use the same technology as NASA, Lockheed, and Boeing. Call and ask the difference they will tell you.
InSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM #27
HARDKNOX

I asked sitemfg (stiffi) some questions about a week ago, but they are pretty good about not going into detail as to how the manufacture their barrels. They did
however say they do cut barrels down to size.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:48 PM #28
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

My first hand experience was working in the machine shop that my grandfather and father used to own, it was called PennScrew, located in Philadelphia. The reason I know they do not make them from one long tube is because the barrels have a tapered bore, that would be impossible to make out of one long tube because the internal bore would have to start at the correct size, taper out to the end bore, then be instantly brought back to the original bore size so that the next one can be cut, the logistics of doing that are virtually impossible. If the barrel was the same bore the entire length it would be a plausible way of making the barrels, but they are not, the internal bore diameter changes and becomes larger at the tip of the barrel making cutting them from one long tube impractical and incredibly expensive

Guns only lead to problems…But when they come we will be ready to blow their freaken heads off
Old 08-05-2008, 05:20 PM #29
HARDKNOX

That might be the case with some or the majority of barrels on the market. I can only speak for the 1 stiffi barrel that I own, I have measured both ends and the middle which are all the same ID (inner diameter) which means there is no tapering. Keep in consideration, that wet/ heavy CF can and will conform to any shape. Also keep in mind that the tapered ID that your reffering to on other barrels is fraction inch differences. Something you can't normally see with the naked eye.
Not that you asked or even care, but I first handedly work with all kinds of materials on a daily basis. CF being one of them. Making prototypes and 1 of a kind working objects for the motion pictures.
But I will admit that doesn't make me an expert with paintball barrel manufacturing, or apparently close up photography with cheap cameras
Old 08-05-2008, 05:40 PM #30
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

taken directly from http://www.sitemfg.com/stiffi.html

Quote:
All one-piece Stiffi Barrels have a Stepped Bore.
So something is not right with your barrel as every Stiffi I have had the pleasure of handling had a different internal diameters at the front and back just like they say it should

Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 PM #31
HARDKNOX

well my stiffi is the 2 piece mamba tip. The word "stepped" doesn't necessarily mean it's tapered. It can be a "stepped" boring process. I tried calling, but they are already closed for the day.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:37 PM #32
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

ah, the 2 piece Mamba would be a different story, but as far as I am aware stepped refers to the fact that the bore size "steps" up as the barrel continues. I also have tried calling but to no avail but honestly I do not care how they make their barrels, if your cut worked and isnt causing problems congratulations, I however, would personally never cut down one of my barrels, but since you continue to argue with me perhaps you should not be so quick to state that you will not argue with a 12 year-old and give people who know what they are talking about when it comes to barrels and have been giving advice on this forum for many more years than you have, a chance to voice their opinions

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM #33
HARDKNOX

so in order for my advice or years of experience to be creditable, I need to be a posting member here for X amount of years. People should give "noobs" a chance to voice their opinions. You never know what experince they may have. My comment about you being a 12 year old was in reference to your childish responses to my pictures and saying that on a "micro scale"....blah blahblah. If I owned a Ferrari, I wouldn't cut the roof off to make a convertible. But there are some out there that see it differently. For someone to say "I wouldn't do it" or "it shouldn't be done" normally comes from 1 or many persons who have not even tried, to even know if it would turn out to be a problem.

Last edited by HARDKNOX : 08-05-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:31 PM #34
RygorMortis
Glock the Earth

I give "noobs" a chance to voice their opinions, in fact I do not try to silence anyone, I post what I have found to be true given my experience.

I fail to see how the micro scale comment is childish, all I can figure out is you do not like people questioning your work and so you attacked me about it. Unfortunately I am completely serious in that statement, people pay $100+ for barrels because they want perfectly smooth honing on the inside on a micro level. The difference between a Spyder stock barrel and a brand new top of the line barrel are indistinguishable to the naked eye, we are talking on the scale of ten thousandths of an inch on which small defects can effect the quality of the barrel and therefor its performance

Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 PM #35
matrixshooter93
What's a Marker?

matrixshooter93 plays in the USPL
matrixshooter93 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
matrixshooter93 plays in the APPA D5 division
well if Im allowed in, if they do cut it from one long tube, im sure they then dip it in a sealer to seal the loose fibers and make them smooth, i dont know if this guy did that after cutting the barrel or not.

OTB Editor (JC)- 5dmk2
OTB Productions
Pictures Video
matrixshooter93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:25 PM #36
HARDKNOX

I get questioned about my work on an daily basis. I have no problems about it, if I did I wouldn't have posted my pictures. I don't think I speak for myself when I ask this question, and frankly I should have asked this from the begining to avoid this whole ego argument: have you cut any CF barrels and experince the cut end to come unraveled or "shred paint"?
As you can see with my pictures, I cut my CF barrel and did NOT put anything on the cut tip. I have yet to experience any problems (frayed end, cracks, blistering, any unraveling and it still shoots just as straight as I did befor I cut the 2" off.