PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-10-2008, 10:18 PM #1
moff_09
Mitt's a Greedy Bastard

Things Fall Apart

Anyone read it? It's by Chinua Achebe and is one of 4 books my A.P. English teacher is making us read over the summer. If you've read it, how was it? And can anyone give me just a short overview of what it's about? The back cover didn't give much information besides how good/popular it supposedly is.

Mitt Romney is an evil, sadistic bastard who tortures puppy dogs and screws middle & lower class workers out of jobs in order to make himself millions.

Mitt Romney went a decade without paying any taxes. Now people wonder why he won't release his taxes?!??

More Mitt Facts: www.TrueRomney.com
moff_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:34 PM #2
MR.JABM

MR.JABM supports our troops
dude gets a chick and her son.

dude raises son like his own. This kid is hard working and makes the dude's real son a stronger person.

Oracle says, "dawg, you gotta kill that kid that's been living witchu fo' liek three years."
Dude is like, alright. Dude tells real son,"i aint' gonna kill him, calm down."
The dude really kills him.

Christians come and start converting people after the dude leaves to live with his mother for doing something bad(i don't remember what.)

Dude comes back, sees what his village has turned into(it's not good) and hangs himself liek a warrior.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:57 PM #3
Crede777
Resident Agnostic

Crede777 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
^^ Pretty much, although he neglected to mention the strange obsession with yams that the village people have. ^^
Derr: Whether or not you believe the universe is here for a reason is patently irrelevant to whether or not the universe cares.
XBL = On3ManRi0t

Breakout Photos
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:05 AM #4
ChaoticReign Pbt
Invulnerable

has been a member for 10 years
It wasn't bad. Read it for sociology last semester. It's a short read, just read it.

Toy: 2009 Kawasaki ZX-14. DD: Stock 1996 5SPD XJ.

Fitchburg State College
ChaoticReign Pbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:16 AM #5
MR.JABM

MR.JABM supports our troops
yam wine, yam soup, yam chicken.

It's all they eat
Old 07-11-2008, 09:33 AM #6
moff_09
Mitt's a Greedy Bastard

Sounds weird, thanks for the help though. I'm planning on starting it as soon as I finish my current book.

Mitt Romney is an evil, sadistic bastard who tortures puppy dogs and screws middle & lower class workers out of jobs in order to make himself millions.

Mitt Romney went a decade without paying any taxes. Now people wonder why he won't release his taxes?!??

More Mitt Facts: www.TrueRomney.com
moff_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:02 PM #7
jolly rodgers
aggggg maty

i couldnt finish it. i had to read spark notes on it so i could pass the test for it. the only thing i got from that book is that they loved yams, and beating their wives.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:50 PM #8
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
^^ Pretty much, although he neglected to mention the strange obsession with yams that the village people have. ^^
An obsession? More like yams are a durable crop that grows in many areas of Africa and is the only thing they have to eat.
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:17 PM #9
Prouddm5owner2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly rodgers View Post
, and beating their wives.
i would always make jokes about that and my teacher would get really pissed
Prouddm5owner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 PM #10
rigby (Banned)
smo queed

The most important literary aspect of it is that the white christians come into africa and try to convert people into christianty and their societys ways. The main character is a perfect example of a strong individual in the traditional society, and really excelled according to their standards (won wrestling competitions, hard working, successful farmer, ****ed hoes). Ukemku rejected their new society and watched the weaker members of his tribe convert over with the white people because they were the people who would benefit the most (weak men and women).
rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:29 AM #11
imyourfrend
My body is a wonderland..

It's all ironic. The entire novel is irony. Basically it talks about how strong and how tough minded the main character is (Okonkwo), as you see, he takes no **** from anyone. Okonkwo doesn't want to be anything like his father (his father is weak, and only talks about ****, but never does anything). well, in the end of the novel, Okonkwo kills himself (I don't care if I am ruining the book, you asked for it), and the village takes him as some sort of traitor. He ends of being worse than his father for what he did.

Also, when he gets sent into exile he lives with his mom (this is what the other guy was talking about). He got into exile because he shot some boy in the head, accidentally during a celebration the gun went off and he was charged with the crime and sent into exile for 7 years. Any more questions just PM me.

WTB Gun and Tank: $250 PM me.
imyourfrend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:50 AM #12
time2kil
futbol ftw

Basically its about Okonkwo's fear of failure and weakness ultimately leading to his deterioration and demise. His inability to cope with changes in the tribe emotionally, socially, etc. makes "things fall apart."