Old 07-02-2008, 05:55 PM #22
24/7

Did your 4th of July come early?
207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM #23
pbgurrrl

Congrats on taking the first steps!! That's a huge accomplishment.
After reviewing your pics (which aren't bad) here's a few things to think about...
Fireworks....cool
Dogs...cool
Cars...cool
Hmmmm....trying taking pictures of things that aren't obviously cool and MAKE them look cool. (Okay, I'm done using the word "cool")
Art is everywhere, not just in obvious places. Take something that you would otherwise consider ugly, disturbing, etc. and put your own perspective on it.
And take A LOT of pictures, because you never know...
I hope this helps...
Keep on keepin' on!!!
pbgurrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:25 PM #24
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntcheck45 supports our troops
cool.

Learn to shoot in the manual modes, do some research on basic photography, find some photographers you like and keep shooting.
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:36 PM #25
killr_b323
Dude, wheres my title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyroolz101 View Post
Just out of curiousity, what didn't you like about that one?

Yeah, the ones of the Honda meet in the big parking lot didn't turn out too good. I kinda rushed through everything.. Free food for photographers and like 175 people to talk to kinda made it hard. I appreciate your input!

I'll be posting in here a lot, trying to get input, so we'll see where this goes haha.

It's just more snapshotty than the rest. Try getting right at eye level with the dog, and using a wider angle(I'm assuming you're using the kit 18-55m lens). Also, use that lens at a smaller aperture, to make your pictures sharper.
killr_b323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM #26
24/7

Woah. Girl.
207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 PM #27
kirradude1025

My $.02:
First set (Fireworks)-
1) Get a tripod to avoid shaking and blur, and if you can stand for long, find a better show to shoot.
2) Have the shutter open immediately after the "boom" to avoid the blown/overexposed center of the fireworks.

Second set (Dogs)-
1) No matter how good of a dog picture it is, people will say it is a snapshot. In order to avoid this, try getting the picture from angles that a non-photog would not take them from (i.e.: Lay on the ground, stand on a chair, sit face to face, etc...)
2) Especially in animal pictures, a tight crop is needed, make the dog stand out as much as possible!

Third set (flower & sign)-
1) Idk what you were attempting with the blue background but it does not sit well with me. I would prefer that picture with the natural background, underexposed 1 stop, with a little post processing to add some saturation or perhaps beef up the yellow.
2) The sign-
I understand what you are trying to do but that needs to be 100% in focus. If you were to do a reshoot, I would tell you to: put on a tripod, get a polarizer, lower shutter speed, and aperature, ISO=200-320, and two second timer "on" to avoid shaking from pressing the shutter.

Fourth set (cars)-
I am an avid car enthusiast some of this may have some intended pun.
1) Don't shoot VTEC! (lol, just messing around)
2) Shadows are very distracting in car pictures and give a misconstrued image due to the possible variations in paint tone.
3) Logo close-ups are very cliche and belong on myspace and cardomain.

All I can say is keep shooting. I am no where near good, but I post here, get comments and criticism (and massive amounts of flame) and take it all into consideration and do reshoots if I feel they are necessary.

Enjoy, Danny

"Originally posted by infotography: Sounds to me like you should just turn it to auto and give up."
kirradude1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM #28
dynastysmartparts (Banned)
Suck My Dick *****

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyroolz101 View Post
gah, that picture would have been amazing in hdr, i really like the compositoin, and if you didnt cut the car on the far left
but your serious about this, and trust me out of my first 5,000 shots from my dslr i have only kept maybe 10, but i finally have become acustomed to certain types of photography and their compositions, but im also learning new ones like skateboard, so all i can see is just keep clicking away, with a reason of course, and if you are trying you will definately become good and enjoy the pictures you take

and danny, man your a trooper, but its good to know that there are people in this world that can take all of the **** from PBn and pick it apart to find answers

Last edited by dynastysmartparts : 07-02-2008 at 09:29 PM.
dynastysmartparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 PM #29
mdyroolz101
Glocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLPB View Post
he isn't being an ******* about anything, that's why... he seems to be taking what people say into consideration. it isn't like we sit in the GDT in wait of dumb****s to make post.... dumb****s are thrust upon us.

Yeah, I actually want to learn, and I've seen some badass stuff come out of here. No reason act like I know what the hell I'm doing, when its obvious I don't =]

anyways, droolz, i know you've seen JDMOTO's stuff and you have to realize that when he posts 4 or 5 shots of a car he took HUNDREDS during the set. most times he'll post one or two. just because you have a DSLR doesn't mean everything coming out of it is gold.
Yeah, I've seen his work. I took like 200 some pics at the Honda thing, and around 75 with my car and the Civic. I'm going to snag up a tripod pretty soon. I'm also gonna mess with those settings over the next few days. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgurrrl View Post
After reviewing your pics (which aren't bad) here's a few things to think about...
Fireworks....cool
Dogs...cool
Cars...cool
Hmmmm....trying taking pictures of things that aren't obviously cool and MAKE them look cool. (Okay, I'm done using the word "cool")
Art is everywhere, not just in obvious places. Take something that you would otherwise consider ugly, disturbing, etc. and put your own perspective on it.
I hope this helps...
Keep on keepin' on!!!
I'll take that into consideration, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 View Post
Did your 4th of July come early?
Nah, it was a Springfield Park Board sponsored event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirradude1025 View Post
My $.02:
First set (Fireworks)-
1) Get a tripod to avoid shaking and blur, and if you can stand for long, find a better show to shoot.
2) Have the shutter open immediately after the "boom" to avoid the blown/overexposed center of the fireworks.

Second set (Dogs)-
1) No matter how good of a dog picture it is, people will say it is a snapshot. In order to avoid this, try getting the picture from angles that a non-photog would not take them from (i.e.: Lay on the ground, stand on a chair, sit face to face, etc...)
2) Especially in animal pictures, a tight crop is needed, make the dog stand out as much as possible!
Yeah I figured as much after the criticism I got in other places. I'll keep that in mind for sure!

Third set (flower & sign)-
1) Idk what you were attempting with the blue background but it does not sit well with me. I would prefer that picture with the natural background, underexposed 1 stop, with a little post processing to add some saturation or perhaps beef up the yellow.The flower I didn't expect to turn out all to well. I didn't know how to actually TAKE a flower picture. Now I do =]
2) The sign- The sign isn't going anywhere, so yeah, I'll for sure grab more after I get my tripod. It was super rushed and not planned at all. I don't even think I looked through the lens
I understand what you are trying to do but that needs to be 100% in focus. If you were to do a reshoot, I would tell you to: put on a tripod, get a polarizer, lower shutter speed, and aperature, ISO=200-320, and two second timer "on" to avoid shaking from pressing the shutter.

Fourth set (cars)-
I am an avid car enthusiast some of this may have some intended pun.
1) Don't shoot VTEC! (lol, just messing around)
2) Shadows are very distracting in car pictures and give a misconstrued image due to the possible variations in paint tone.
3) Logo close-ups are very cliche and belong on myspace and cardomain.

All I can say is keep shooting. I am no where near good, but I post here, get comments and criticism (and massive amounts of flame) and take it all into consideration and do reshoots if I feel they are necessary.

Enjoy, Danny
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastysmartparts View Post
gah, that picture would have been amazing in hdr, i really like the compositoin, and if you didnt cut the car on the far left
but your serious about this, and trust me out of my first 5,000 shots from my dslr i have only kept maybe 10, but i finally have become acustomed to certain types of photography and their compositions, but im also learning new ones like skateboard, so all i can see is just keep clicking away, with a reason of course, and if you are trying you will definately become good and enjoy the pictures you take

and danny, man your a trooper, but its good to know that there are people in this world that can take all of the **** from PBn and pick it apart to find answers
Thank you!!
mdyroolz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:47 PM #30
JungleLawrence (Banned)
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbgurrrl View Post
Fireworks....cool
Dogs...cool
Cars...cool
I hope this helps...
Keep on keepin' on!!!
Too many exclamation points. Your post is ****. This thread is ****.

mdyroolz -

Just go get better. Trying to tell you what could be better with your photography would be like trying to tell a Mexican guy what could be better about his English. The things you could improve are so elementary that I doubt anybody here has the patience to explain to you. Your photography is too inconsistent right now to give you efficient advice that will significantly change the way you take pictures. The only thing you can do is read up on photography as much as you can, find pictures you like, try to emulate them, and just practice. That's what it's going to take -- a lot of time, dedication, and practice.
JungleLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 PM #31
dynastysmartparts (Banned)
Suck My Dick *****

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleLawrence View Post
The things you could improve are so elementary that I doubt anybody here has the patience to explain to you.
a lot of people already have, even therealmr is willing, so dont come flame on other peoples posts. the thread is about photography and its in the photography section, so it isnt pointless
dynastysmartparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:57 PM #32
kirradude1025

lukycharmz, was that necessary? His photography doesn't affect you, it doesn't change the quality of your pictures, and him being a photographer affects you under any circumstance. He is learning and familiarizing himself with the art, and by you contributing your completely useless thoughts such as "Get a new hobby" just shows your lack of competence as a human being and makes more apparent your endless desire to aggrandize yourself and your interests by commenting condescendingly on his art. You've wasted more time than just yours with your $.02 of stupidity. And seeming as you have nothing wise to say, perhaps you would like a link to dictionary.com since you are probably not going to understand what you would call my inscrutable writings. Enjoy

"Originally posted by infotography: Sounds to me like you should just turn it to auto and give up."
kirradude1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:25 AM #33
JungleLawrence (Banned)
Bangarang!

Quote:
a lot of people already have, even therealmr is willing, so dont come flame on other peoples posts. the thread is about photography and its in the photography section, so it isnt pointless
Sorry, I can't hear you over your insignificance.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:55 AM #34
TheLPB
LOOK LIKE A MYSTERION

hahahahahaha
Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM #35
sixsixsix69
Aggressively Lazy

Annual Supporting Member
sixsixsix69 is a Supporting Member
sixsixsix69 is a founding member
sixsixsix69 is a Paintball photographer
sixsixsix69 supports Team VICIOUS
sixsixsix69 posts videos on PbNation
I love how everyone was surprised that no one came in here and flamed the guy or just made stupid statements... they just didnt give the idiots time to come in here.

OP: your car shots are good.
when taking rolling shots, the back ground is still important. also, slow you shutter speed to catch more motion. and try not to get the car youre in in the shot.
your close up of the gauge and stuff, you need to be sure that its in focus

just my .02

EDIT: I was referring more to the guy who said get a new hobby and the likes.

Last edited by sixsixsix69 : 07-03-2008 at 03:31 PM.
sixsixsix69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:28 PM #36
TheLPB
LOOK LIKE A MYSTERION

the idiots? when you've contributed as much to this forum as Larry has you can go ahead and elaborate on that
Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 PM #37
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleLawrence View Post
The only thing you can do is read up on photography as much as you can, find pictures you like, try to emulate them, and just practice. That's what it's going to take -- a lot of time, dedication, and practice.
Quote:
When it comes to basic exposure, composition, and etc... it's best that the OP just heeds JL's suggestion (quoted above). Practicing / research / photography immersion will help him develop his eye. Trying to explain it to him would potentially result in ruining HIS creativity; for, teaching someone those basic techniques would result in the bias of the instructor... and their personal style.

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 PM #38
JungleLawrence (Banned)
Bangarang!

Exactly. When he's developed sense of photography and finds a specific goal, then we can help him reach it. Giving us twenty pictures to mull over doesn't help. The best way to get help in this forum is to present one or two images, tell us what you're going for, and we'll do our best to help guide your lighting composition, post process, etc. to realize that goal. When I was new here I didn't post; I read. That's what it's going to take.

Perhaps if this guy lived next to me and I could look over his pictures in person I'd be more help. But typing all the stuff out I would say in person would take hours. Plus, all that information is very easily found in a Google search.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:21 PM #39
Codemastadink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drex17 View Post
same here not enough time to go through all of them, but I'll give you a fireworks pointer.

Get a tripod or at least prop the camera on something solid. this will remove the "wiggles" most of your shots are plagued by. In terms of settings I tend to shoot 1-3 second exposures started right before a shell goes off. (shortly into the show you'll get a good idea of how long the flight time is before they detonate) IIRC ISO 200. this should get you some very crisp sireworks shots instead of the wiggly ones you got here.

PM'ing you an example shot as to not clutter your thread with my pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by snufferoo View Post
Not too bad, but yeah, get a tripod for fireworks.

http://www.geofflawrence.com/photogr..._fireworks.php

Everything else looks pretty good. Just get out and shoot.
Or even just using a wide open aperature and faster shutter. although it might tend to get a slight bit fuzzy because of a big aperature setting. I would think it would hardly be noticable, if at all

EDIT: This would be if you wanted a crist slean shot of the fireworks, as to freeze them in time. If you wanted a more silky type shot with the streaks falling to the Earth, then the tripod and slower shutter would come in handy.

Last edited by Codemastadink : 07-09-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Codemastadink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:07 AM #40
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
fireworks frozen are boring, it's just dots in the sky. you want some motion to capture the bursts.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote