PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-09-2008, 08:08 PM #1
maunz
spc

need some advice

im looking to volunteer to be a ref at my local field and am curious about a few things. what are the basics of being a ref? how do i become a good ref and what are players looking for in a ref? i, unfortunately, dont get to play much but do know quite a bit about the sport imo. i want to know from the experianced what it takes to be a ref that is wanted by the players, staff, and other refs

i get my gear from splatter effect paintball

iraq is gay
maunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM #2
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

TeamShellShock is a Supporting Member
TeamShellShock supports our troops
TeamShellShock is a Forum Captain
First I would read these 2 threads

Advice For a Field ref

Refereeing 101

Then go talk to your local field and see if they need help or ask for an application if you know there hiring (assuming your old enough). Make sure you know why you want to be a ref for their field, its a question they will ask.
TeamShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 PM #3
maunz
spc

i found one of those threads after i posted this. sorry lol. it had a lot of good info but could anyone go a ittle more in depth? im wanting some of your personal experience wheather it be as a player or ref.

im 19 and talked to my local field and they are looking for refs for tournies but never really interviewed me about it. the field is real laid back. like they get your money, give you paint, talk a bit and be friendly, go back to the house and tell you to call if you need anything.

iraq is gay
Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 PM #4
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maunz View Post
i found one of those threads after i posted this. sorry lol. it had a lot of good info but could anyone go a ittle more in depth? im wanting some of your personal experience wheather it be as a player or ref.

im 19 and talked to my local field and they are looking for refs for tournies but never really interviewed me about it. the field is real laid back. like they get your money, give you paint, talk a bit and be friendly, go back to the house and tell you to call if you need anything.
Well The second link is very in depth and should be a good read. Be ready to do more then just ref..cleaning, light construction, food service, and sales are some of the things you can expect to do. Is it a scenario field, or speed ball field? Or both?

What kind of experiance do you want to hear about?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 PM #5
maunz
spc

its a speedball field but its a very small under budget field. im pretty much looking to see what you guys have to say about what makes a good ref and some examples from real life. but i will read through tthe second one

iraq is gay
Old 07-09-2008, 11:50 PM #6
TeamShellShock
Collect All 16!

Both of those threads have great advice and should give you a great start. As for examples, I cant think of anything that would be unique right now. Being a local ref has been the same pretty much everywhere Ive worked/helped.