PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 06-27-2001, 03:24 PM #1
TheWhiteRabbit

has been a member for 10 years
New to phantoms, questions

Well, I've acquired a used phantom VSC (for only $130, w00t), with a plain black finish. So, here are my n00b questions:

1) I have two stabs laying in the closet not being used, a female and male. If I used both of those with a tank, would that have any negative effects? I'd assume not, but just wanna know.

2) How many shots do you get per 12oz tank? 9oz?

3) Do the vertical feed bodies (not stock class) work with hoppers (because it looks..uhm, wierd)? If so, does it require a thingymabob like the '00 angel does, or does the hopper slip over it?

4) Is there anything really important I should know that's not in the manual?

5) Were those stupid questions? -- Yes!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2001, 10:51 AM #2
ren

1)Using stabs... hmm. It's hard to say. First off, phantoms run best with their stock parts at 850psi. I, however, use a WGP regulator and run mine at 750psi. Why? I happen to have a high-flow powertube, so now my phantom works slightly more on the "lower pressure, longer valve dwell" spectrum rather than the "higher pressure, shorter valve dwell" spectrum, dig? Realy, with the stock parts on there... I may think you may just want to set the output at around 800psi or so and basically use it as an expansion chamber. Even though it doesn't doo a lot of actual regulation, it will convert any liquid to co2 and thus yield better consistency. To tell you the truth though, phantoms work great right off of co2. A regulator will only help when properly configured to the gun. Double regging may be a bit too much if you're on co2, because in colder weather if the tank pressure drops below your regulated output then your reg isn't really regulating.. I'd suggest slapping one of them on there- doesn't really matter which one, and trying your best to stay above 750 psi. Even though you CAN run your phantom at around 550, you are going against the design of the flow rates of the gun... just stick around 800 with the stock parts, alright!?

2) How many shots you get depends upon a lot of things. If you've got a really nice unported barrel right around 12.5" with a low drag coefficient and a super paint match, you can get killer efficiency. However, it really depends upon a lot of things. I personally never really counted, it will also depend upon the fill, temperature of the tank.. a lot of things...

3)I think you're talking about the centerfeed. Most hoppers just slip over it. I personally use a right feed and a VL-100 with a VLbow.

4)Important things to know that are not in the manual:
-Don't overtighten your nylon setscrew (the little setscrew thing in the bolt), this will strip the threads! I learned this the hard way other than that I can't really think of any...

5)The only stupid question is the one that was never asked *wipes away tear*
Old 06-29-2001, 04:02 PM #3
Nutless Wonder
Mullet Hunter

Quote:
Originally posted by ren
4)Important things to know that are not in the manual:
-Don't overtighten your nylon setscrew (the little setscrew thing in the bolt), this will strip the threads! I learned this the hard way other than that I can't really think of any...
Actually, that is in the manual... . But he was right about everything else. Oh yeah, Ren, you know I would take that stupid little annoying vl-100 off of your hands for ya .
Classic mullet: This specimen is a clear demonstration of a classic mullet. Note how this mullet proudly displays his exotic plumage while in a menacing stance. Classic indeed. The mesh tank-top, digital watch, silver chain, and molester mustache all add points to this fine specimen's overall look and mulletude. Courtesy Of MulletsGalore.Com
Old 06-29-2001, 04:12 PM #4
ren

Oh it says it in the manual? Doh! Also, I think it says this in the manual too but don't over screw the TPC. This is the "rod" inside of the bolt. It connects to the powertube and channels the gas to form around the ball. Really the best thing to do is to try to get your TPC as far OUT as possible. If you get your springs set correctly (like mine ) then you can have a beastly light pump stroke and still get the same velocities. Well there is a lot to know about phantoms... if you ever have a leaking problem with the hearline (if you have one) it's not the hardline, but the orings in the FITTINGS ofthe hardline. They come stock with an oring which is made of a hard rubber-like material called buna. Buna isn't the best thing to use. If you gas up and experience a leak, it's actually the buna oring absorbing the liquid co2, and swelling and expanding, this stopping the leak. This can be fixed with a simple replacement of the orings in there, and upgrade from buna to urethane. I did that after I had the same problem and haven't had a leak since. Other than that, there's not much you can do to hurt a phantom. If you've got any questions, PM me and I'll do what I can to help out. And the VL-100 is a little toy I just got in a little while ago, I really like it a lot. Very nice, easy to clean, nice size. Doesn't load well at all but it's not like I need 40bps or anything. And if I ever sell it I'll let you know nutless. I'll tell you if I see one around...