PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 AM #1
huntersmind

Dear refs, you make or break a field

I wanted to share how refs can make or break a field for me when
I am trying a new field for the first time. I will leave field and teams un-named, I'm not trying to trash talk anyone.

Trash talk:
Sadly, every field I have ever been to the refs trash talk the other fields in the area. I know you want my buisness and TRULY believe you have the best field around, but I dont care about your obviously biased opinion about the "other guy".

Sponsored team preferential treatment:
Almost every field I've ever played at has a sponsored team. I understand that these guys are your buddies and all but theres a point that pisses of the walkon guys. I've seen the sponsored team get to pick what the field and what side of the field they wanted to start on every game for a whole day. I've seen the a guy on the sponsored team wipe in full view of the ref without consequence. I understand If you give them discounts or waive their fees, but some of the things you guys let them get away with.... Your not helping them get any better as a team, and your pissing the rest of us off.

Evening up the teams
I understand that some guys want to play together, I show up with a group usually too. But when the teams are so unbalanced its a slaughter, its time to mix it up. I dont care if I lose, but when the group of randoms and I last less than 2min.... When I pay to play on a field I'm not paying a field fee, I'm not paying for field paint, I'm paying to have fun. I don't care if you don't want to break up the home team because they need practice or want to play together, I didn't pay to help them practice. Hell, they might get better if they played against eachother to challenge themselves. I don't care if the good-old-boys/regulars cant function without eachother. I'f I'm not having fun, I'm going to take my money elsewhere.

I hope some of the refs read this and take it to heart. More so, I hope some of refs at places I've played at read this (hopfully the one I walked away from today that insighted this post).
huntersmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2008, 03:41 AM #2
lamorte
mod a la mode

Annual Supporting Member
lamorte is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
Arrow

i know exactly what you mean but, it's not all the refs account. the field owner is the main one at neglect since he let's all this go on. if he doesn't notice it he'll be added to the huge list af failed fields this past year.

another thing, from your post, doesn't sound like you said a thing to the field owner. yes....no?

i recently had a similar but different experience. i took one of my boys to a local field since i never tried it yet. we had some things to do early so we got there a little late. one thing that attracted me was they were opened till 6:00 rather than 4:00 like most all the other surrounding fields.

they have 6 fields there. 1 airball field was going all day. the home team played that particular field all day against all the walkons. one of the refs sat around all afternoon bs'ing with all his buds and other players. another that i swear acted like was mentally impared kept saying he was going to start a game but never did. finally one of the regular players there started a woods game that alfred e neuman never did. from about 1:00 - 5:00 we ended up playing 2 games lol.

i said something to one of the owners and he got pissy, made some excuses and acted offended. the field to my knowledge has been opened for less than a year. it's a close proximity to a large city so locals don't have to drive a long distance to get there. that is the only reason i can think of why they are still in business.

i say the refs are and aren't a part of the prob. maybe he doesn't pay them much or maybe he just doesn't care. maybe he just has no concept of ref training.

the next week we went to my normal field which is about an hour drive. we simply had a wonderful time. the refs are good and the owner cares about his clients. he's continually making sure everyone's having a good time(he'll ask you) and making sure no noobs are being taken advantage of. if he has the time he goes out with most games and refs himself.

the differences in both fields is like night and day. the manager of both fields is the owner. the way the refs conduct themselves is a reflection of his guidence as manager. not to say all fields have the exact same circumstances but i'd suspect the field you posted about had a bad manager as well.

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:10 AM #3
huntersmind

I didn't say much about the owners because it's the ref forum, but since we went there.....
I'm a big fan of x-ball and this fields web sight boasted 2 xball courses. When we arrived they had NO speed ball fields. They said they had been vandalized about 2 weeks earlier and they were looking to rebuild them. Looking at their posts on the forums, the x-ball fields have been down since 2007 and the owner has no intention of putting the money into rebuilding them. He is happy with his 3 woodsball fields and thats the end of it. He has even overlooked outside investors paying the majority of the bill to get them back. Yet the refs insist "the speed ball courses will be back in a month or so"
I believed them till I found posts dating back till last year in the forums promising the same thing. I wish people would just offer what they had.
huntersmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 PM #4
mtbrdude
**** Smart Parts

mtbrdude donated to help Peyton Trent
Unless you've reffed a field, I'm not sure it's fair to complain. Just today I had one guy get arrested, and i almost needed the cops a second time for someone smoking weed on our front steps. Once the adrenaline gets pumping people go crazy. We do our best to make the teams fair and the games fun, but not everyone shares the SAME opinion of "fair" and "fun".

Now, I've been working at this field for almost 4 years, and I play a major role in training all the new staff at our field. Reffing is one of those things that you can't really "train" for, it's something you need experience for. Unfortunately, most refs are young and immature and lack the balls to stand up for themselves when confronted by a large group of people.

It's true about the management, though. The quality of customer service always relates back to the people in charge.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 PM #5
wallify

^ agreed. All the advice I can give you is if your not having fun b/c of an issue like that PLEASE let management know ASAP! If its a good field they will straighten it out and get you more games and even teams. Every field has a group or 2 of regulars that play every weekend (not everyone that plays often is sponsored or discounted), and though they may be good, they are a group of paying customers like you. No one wants their group split up, but if we have to we do. Many times we just skew the teams so that the regulars have their 10 or so guys and the other team has significantly more. Most of the time the other team thinks its great b/c they have so many more guys and are playing against a bunch of players with pump guns! If we get complaints about it we will split them up though. What it comes down to is Refing is a hard job and does involve getting shot a lot. B/c of this you will have your good reffs and your bad reffs. It's your job as a player to let management know what kind of reff you got that day. This helps get the slackers off the field and the Dedicated staff out there taking care of you guys. Also, if you have a really good reff, a simple "thank you" at the end of the day makes a world of differance, and if your really pleased, pass that on to management as well. They like to hear people want to talk to them about the good points of a field as much as hearing about concerns.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM #6
mtbrdude
**** Smart Parts

mtbrdude donated to help Peyton Trent
Think about it this way: How comfortable are you giving a presentation in front of a classroom full of 30 people you know? Now try and do the same thing in front of 50+ complete strangers.

If you think you can handle it, apply for a job.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:53 PM #7
superskittles

Well as a reff with a boss that cares.

the fields took a huge beating during the spring storms of Texas. We rebuilt within two weeks and we were still down 2 out of 5 speedball fields. The only reason we had not rebuilt them was because ever day we were open happened to either Rain till we closed or we had record breaking weeks in numbers of players and parties.

The idea that you try out a field once and the refs were all terrible is generally just a large misconception.
How did the manager treat you?
Did you take your problem up with the manager?
Did you ever talk to the ref about the problem and let him know what your opinions are, in a calm and easy going manor?

please try to remember that these refs take a lot of **** either from stupid aholes who cuss them out or shoot them.
or maybe that stupid **** comes from the manager, we have had that problem here where a manager has come in and replaced a well admired and respected manager. this new guy doesn't know the difference between the rental Phiranas or an 08 ego, much less how to run a field.

So when these refs just sit down with "their buddies" or the normal guys to the field, they are trying to get away from all the stupid stuff that happens at a field and it does help to take a break when it is 104 degrees out side and you have been reffing since 8 am.
superskittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 PM #8
thor94

one ref at my field trash talked about another field, but he had a good reason. the other field (like magic) gets broken into once a year. After they get the insurence money is paid to them for the price of the stolen items, then a week later the "stolen" items (like magic) re-appear and gets SOLD$$$$$$ like magic......
thor94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 AM #9
TwOQuiK
Ego Waffler

excuse me for not reading much, but we have the same at a field about 2 hours from where i live. my team plays there once a month for their tourneys...a team that is there, is sponsored by them. the refs baby them and barely ever call them out. so this past tourney, the one guy i shot took a shot to the hopper. ref saw it, i yelled to the ref. didnt do anything. So when the guy was coming to hang the flag, because i got pulled because of cursing...i stood up walked to the guy, asked him if he had a problem with not pulling himself...and he was like hahah that was funny when i did that...and told me to sit the **** down. so we had a nice little battle that ended up in him with pink all over his face and neck and me sitting out the next 3 rounds...just a point to say refs, quit picking favorites.. i am now done playing at that field
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 AM #10
wallify

While I understand that you got cheated and you were angry about it, Paintball is a game. It is something we do for fun. What your implying you did to that guy was in no way justified and your quite lucky you only got a few game suspension. No way shape or form of that would be tolerated on a field I was reffing. Paintball is getting bad enough with all the over shooting, and swearing. The last thing it needs is fighting.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:08 AM #11
xblackstarx (Banned)

hell i was head ref once at a old field i played at and i let it happen to this guy that was letting people wipe.
you've got to understand how much wipers are hated. and the refs that see the wiping and allow it are even worse.
xblackstarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:47 PM #12
Paintball hitman

I help young refs all the time with there people skills,evening up teams and controlling unruly players. I know from experience if they leave happy they will come back. If u treat them right they will treat u right and sometimes that means big tips. Bust your *** for the right group and you could make a 100 dollar tip.

And if a group of new players wants to play the refs do 2 vs 5 for example. and let them win a few games they have fun and u have fun.

No home team advantage , If i find out im hit after a game that i called a paint check for and a ref from my field calls it clean i will get pretty mad, because the groups are paying the money most of the time refs play free. Tourneys aren't much diffrent. I want a fair game.

If ur at another field and the refs are favoring the home team POP them in the side of the goggles,back shots, exposed skin. They are cheating and cheaters need to be reprimanded.

Bonus ball wipers, tourneys only never over shoot when playing with paying groups. Aim for the mask if u see wipers.

Last edited by Paintball hitman : 06-28-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Paintball hitman is offline   Reply With Quote