Community Focus

Old 06-26-2008, 10:25 PM #1
Raion
Girl w/a Gun

has been a member for 10 years
Raion helped look for balloons
Raion plays in the APPA D5 division
How to paint a vforce grill

I had many people commented on my paint job and asked how I did it so perfectly, so I thought I would share how I did it step by step.

Grills for reference:

I used Krylon fusion paint. It's like $5 a can at walmart (must be 18 tho). They do not have it at lowes .. walmart has it. Krylon fusion bonds with the plastic so it will probably NEVER chip.

Second, what I did was take out lense (duh) foam, clips and strap. I also took out the jewels to paint. (just bend the tab back gently and they come right out).

I then used the automotive masking tape. This is a lime green . I used this on the entire mask for parts I didn't want to paint. When I got close to the edge of the plastic I wanted to paint, I used 1 layer of tape. This means I did not over lap over and over again. There is a distinct line between the rubber and plastic as you can tell. Go ahead and put tape over the line but like I said, one layer. I also taped most of the inside of the mask to prevent it from getting painted. Even when it's dry, the paint will have fumes, so you don't need to breathe this crap in.

Now it's all taped and you have some tape over the lines, you now need to cut out the lines. I took my fingernail and traced the distinct line between the rubber and plastic. You will now have an outline. The top of the mask is a little tricky cause there is not a big line between.

After you traced the line, take an exacto knife and cut it. You can get these at walmart too in the model car section for $1 or any hobby shop. It doesn't have to 100% perfect but it will help with a perfect outline.

Now paint it. I always paint mine outside in a spot that is in the sun.This will help the bonding and drying. I usually just sit the mask on a piece of cardboard (like a usps box :p ) Stand back about 2 arm lengths and spray evenly. You should just be misting it over and over. This will prevent runs. Also move back and forth horizontally. Pass over it evenly. If you do not get the entire mask in 1 layer, it is okay. Be sure to get the lip near the jewel area too. Let the paint set for 15 min.

After 15 min do another layer of paint. I did 3 layers. Let the final coat sit 2 hrs. This is really important for the next step

Now I took off all the tape. Be very careful, the paint still can be chipped ! Take it off slowly and gently. No for the final touches for the perfect lines between plastic and rubber. Since krylon fusion fuses to plastic, it chemically can not bond with the rubber well. I take a jeweler's flat head screw driver and stick it in that distinct line and scrape the excess paint in that line. The screw driver is a perfect fit and gets most of the excess paint in 1 or 2 passes. You can also use the screw driver as a pick to pick off the paint too. After you have done that and it looks great to you, let sit for 24 hrs before playing. Many people will also add a Gloss coat at the end (obviously before taking off tape), but for my grillz, I wanted them a little more on the matte side cause I play woods too. It is a preference. The fusion paint will hold u just as well without the clear coat imo.

Touch ups:

In the event while taking off the paint, you might chip. To cover up these chips really well, a trick I use is to take a qtip, spray a little paint on there, then dab the chipped area. Do not have a qtip loaded with paint or the coverup will not really work.

Hope that helped.

edit: I can add more pictures with the next pair I paint.
Raion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 PM #2
cash money87 (Banned)

cash money87 plays in the PSP
cash money87 plays in the APPA D5 division
good job that is the best looking grill ive ever seen.
cash money87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 PM #3
MavBoii28
I quit again

yeah dude i thought it was krylon, but the brown looks VERY nice, lol
MavBoii28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM #4
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)

sticky this?
MrSmartyParts5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:19 AM #5
thep8ntr

Theres no Krylon fusion gold color. Is there a way i could get metallic gold and spray paint the mask? and then put some sort of protective spray over that?
thep8ntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:11 AM #6
I34z1k

+1 Vote to be put in sticky
I34z1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:26 AM #7
pedrofb19
Sweet stroller ***

Annual Supporting Member
pedrofb19 plays in the PSP
pedrofb19 donated to help Peyton Trent
pedrofb19 plays in the APPA D3 division
sticky, love the grills
pedrofb19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:27 AM #8
michpaintballa

did you happen to scuff it up before painting it?

looks nice

My Sniper

Trust

If you ever played a game of paintball with nothing but a plastic pirates sword and still got a kill put this in your sig...
michpaintballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:20 AM #9
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)

can you paint the next pair reverse yellow, i want to do mine like that, and i want to see how it comes out? thanks. if not, thats cool.

PS. not a bright yellow, like a lil darker then the yellow profilers.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:22 AM #10
cash money87 (Banned)

cash money87 plays in the PSP
cash money87 plays in the APPA D5 division
shouldn't be stickied but it should in the ultimate sticky someone hit up ion shooter
cash money87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 02:31 PM #11
brando123
has a dick like jesus

brando123 helped look for balloons
i know this is the grillz thread but does anyone know if this would work on E-Vents?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:00 PM #12
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)

probably. arent events rubbery thoguh?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM #13
brando123
has a dick like jesus

brando123 helped look for balloons
yeah, thats why i was wondering.... maybe around the lens tho, its hard there.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:54 PM #14
MrSmartyParts5 (Banned)

im not sure. i saw her mask and then asked her how to do it. she explained it to me. and i told her to post it up with instuctions and it might get stickied. so she did. so you wold have to ask Raion
Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 PM #15
Raion
Girl w/a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thep8ntr View Post
Theres no Krylon fusion gold color. Is there a way i could get metallic gold and spray paint the mask? and then put some sort of protective spray over that?
I used Krylon Fusion Hammered finish. They have some that look bronze and silver and I think maybe gold.

You can use regular paint however, the krylon fusion fuses to the plastic and prevents chipping. Regular paint will chip.

My next pair I think is going to be lime green. I thought about yellow. Ask someone in a photoshop thread to help you out ?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 PM #16
Ego187
haz

thats a very nice job you did thar on them grillz

:LionStatus:
Ego187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 PM #17
calvman
Clickety screeeee

Annual Supporting Member
calvman is a Mega Moderator
calvman is a Supporting Member
calvman is playing at Living Legends VII
That's an amazing job with masking. Well done. Super crisp edges.

"Always buy the biggest bottle."

ASM|macroline guy|BPP|DAB Photo|Inception|Powered by EXALT
calvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:29 PM #18
steve213

that looks great!!
steve213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:20 PM #19
Lite_em_up
wHaT eVeRs ClEvEr

i did this but my problem seemed to be that the lens would scratch off the paint and the clips too when i put everything back together, did u experience this problem
Lite_em_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:59 PM #20
Captain_Howdy
GET OUTTA MA HEAD CHARLES

Captain_Howdy plays in the PSP
Captain_Howdy supports Pev's Paintball
so you mean to tell me that with a direct shot with a gun, this wont chip? Believe me man, I think you did a terrific job, but I wanna see what would happen if you set this mask down and shot it from 5 feet away. Lemme know how that works out. I wanna do this, but I'm skeptical that it wont chip.
Captain_Howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:12 PM #21
Raion
Girl w/a Gun

I mean for the most part it won't chip. If you sit there and repeatedly shoot it, it might chip.

Do you really plan on taking that many balls to the face ?

And if does chip ... you can repaint it. This mask will not take the entire can of paint. You could probably paint over a dozen masks with one can. If it does chip, just touch it up. I got gogged this weekend and the part that got hit did not chip. Krylon fusion does work pretty well.