Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 PM #1
Matt.is.back2011

Did PbN ban the NPPL?

did pbnation seriously ban the nppl tournies? I used to watch those live on here all the time....
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2008, 02:59 PM #2
JAG91000
(JAG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
did pbnation seriously ban the nppl tournies? I used to watch those live on here all the time....
I have no clue???
2006 SMART PARTS SFT SH((O))CKER. FREAK 14" BARREL, CP REG, HYBRID BOLT GUIDE,Q-LOCK FEEDNECK,NDZ SLIK TRIGGER.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:50 PM #3
pbmann1213
TBF

pbmann1213 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
yes they did. It had something to do w/ nppl signing w/ fox. I guess that in the contract beetween the nppl and fox it said that small dvd companies like derder couldnt film at the nppl. and apparently pbnation didnt like that so they broke up w/ the nppl.

Last edited by pbmann1213 : 06-19-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:14 PM #4
DyePaintballer2k11
Greek, I am it

DyePaintballer2k11 helped look for balloons
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DyePaintballer2k11 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmann1213 View Post
yes they did. It had something to do w/ nppl signing w/ fox. I guess that in the contract beetween the nppl and fox it said that small dvd companies like derder couldnt film at the nppl. and apparently pbnation didnt like that so they broke up w/ the nppl.
at the last minute, nppl said that nobody else could film, just the guys they signed with (could have been fox). its all sorted out now.

USAF
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine.
And the machine is bleeding to death.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:13 PM #5
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
PbNation never banned the NPPL.
PbNation never closed the NPPL forum.
PbNation never banned NPPL employees from posting. Not even Camille when she spammed about the TV show.

We actually used to be a Gold Sponsor of the series and set up a booth at every event.

We did filter their webcast after they blatantly told some half truths and complete untruths on their webcast. We asked for an apology and got one, so they are now off the filter.

Speaking of the webcast, PbNation pioneered webcasting paintball tournaments. We came up with the idea of webcasting the events and did all the work to get it done at NPPL events for the first year. So if you have ever enjoyed watching those, you have PbN to thank.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 PM #6
SOAD8789
Massive

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
PbNation never banned the NPPL.
PbNation never closed the NPPL forum.
PbNation never banned NPPL employees from posting. Not even Camille when she spammed about the TV show.

We actually used to be a Gold Sponsor of the series and set up a booth at every event.

We did filter their webcast after they blatantly told some half truths and complete untruths on their webcast. We asked for an apology and got one, so they are now off the filter.

Speaking of the webcast, PbNation pioneered webcasting paintball tournaments. We came up with the idea of webcasting the events and did all the work to get it done at NPPL events for the first year. So if you have ever enjoyed watching those, you have PbN to thank.
Didn't you remove the NPPL forum link for a while? You could still get to it with an outside link, but not directly from the PbN homepage...or something like that.

☻☺
Old 06-19-2008, 07:21 PM #7
John

Annual Supporting Member
No the link was never removed. You could always get here through clicking "tournament talk."

All the paintball tournament series on the home page do link to us. Their series isn't on the home page of the site because they don't link to PbN.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:27 PM #8
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
How come John will only date supermodels?
Old 06-22-2008, 05:33 PM #9
John

Annual Supporting Member
Because my wife gets mad otherwise.

BTW, apparently some of the first HB event was webcasted by someone besides PbN. Anyone else know anything about it?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 PM #10
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
I remember folks having problems with the PbN feed, but being able to watch some action because someone who sells kites on the pier turned his camera down onto the fields.

That's how I was able to watch from home.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 AM #11
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is an Administrator
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Yeah, basically what happened was that during one of the first HB events, the webcam on the pier that's normally pointed out at the surf was aimed towards the event.

Word got out on PbN that there was a live feed from the event, and the guy who ran the webcam got a huge bill because of the huge spike in viewership.

At the next years HB, Tony, Ed and I had the usual gamut of laptops setup for users to be able to stop by the PBN booth and check their mail. We had a webcam aimed out at the concourse so people could see what was going on.

But of course we got bored with that and decided to see if we could get a decent angle on the center court by ziptie-ing a webcam to the top row of the bleachers, and history was made.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:47 PM #12
iTV360
PaintballLive.tv

The first NPPL event was webcast by XSNetworks in Huntington Beach, "history was made" as you would say, I guess that would have been 2003.

The Vegas event that year was to be webcast also, but the sponsor pulled out at the last minute.

PbN used to have a strong showing at NPPL events. Computers lined up for users to post about the event, multiple updates during the events. A real sense of community was built up. Down the road PbN put iChat cameras on the sides of the media tower and broadcast a wide shot of the entire court by placing two video feeds side by side. I believe a pay per view option was added for a higher quality view, and perhaps the field announcers were piped into the feed and maybe a chat feature.

If memory serves, PnB was streaming the center court at HB, and there were some issues, when the surf camera on the pier was pointed at an outside field (Spyder?) and many people watched that shot over the entire weekend.

The first NPPL webcast as we know it today (on field cameras, announcers, replays etc.) was in Huntington Beach, 2005. It went through some cycles of being free and fee, back to free and now fee again.

Last edited by iTV360 : 06-23-2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:23 PM #13
Kyle
RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!

Annual Supporting Member
Kyle is an Administrator
Kyle is a Supporting Member
Kyle is a founding member
Kyle supports Bob Gurnsey
Kyle supports our troops
Kyle is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTV360 View Post
The first NPPL event was webcast by XSNetworks in Huntington Beach, "history was made" as you would say, I guess that would have been 2003.

The Vegas event that year was to be webcast also, but the sponsor pulled out at the last minute.

PbN used to have a strong showing at NPPL events. Computers lined up for users to post about the event, multiple updates during the events. A real sense of community was built up. Down the road PbN put iChat cameras on the sides of the media tower and broadcast a wide shot of the entire court by placing two video feeds side by side. I believe a pay per view option was added for a higher quality view, and perhaps the field announcers were piped into the feed and maybe a chat feature.

If memory serves, PnB was streaming the center court at HB, and there were some issues, when the surf camera on the pier was pointed at an outside field (Spyder?) and many people watched that shot over the entire weekend.

The first NPPL webcast as we know it today (on field cameras, announcers, replays etc.) was in Huntington Beach, 2005. It went through some cycles of being free and fee, back to free and now fee again.
Hm, I don't remember a cam streaming in 2003, nor does the name XSNetworks ring a bell. Can you elaborate further?

I know we weren't the first officially to stream the games since the pier cam was there long before the NPPL was having the HB event, but I could have sworn we were the first group to have an agreement to stream the games officially.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:45 PM #14
iTV360
PaintballLive.tv

The center court action and live commentary streamed on the NPPL.com site using WME, with a local feed setup in the NPPL VIP section on a Plasma.

I don't believe any other events were webcast that first year, I would have to guess PbN began live video coverage in 2004, I feel like they did it for more than just 5 events though.

Last edited by iTV360 : 06-23-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM #15
CS@PbNation

Annual Supporting Member
CS@PbNation is a Supporting Member
CS@PbNation supports Cereal Killerz 2
CS@PbNation donated to help Peyton Trent
CS@PbNation supports Sherwood Forest
CS@PbNation supports our troops
Hey Dan, how you doing?

Dan is with the company that is currently doing the NPPL web casts and also was there the 1st year PbN did a web cast. I don’t think PBN was the 1st to web cast but we did “pioneer” the concept and extend it to more NPPL events than ever before. We did it for a year and a half. I wonder if we still hold the “most” events broadcast or if Dan’s company has that now?

Dan was a big help in getting us connectivity that 1st year at HB. Thanks Dan.

We stopped because we were losing tons of money on the effort and it was wearing us out. The last event we web cast at the NPPL Denver event we had 5 or 6 web cams, 7 or more Macs and hundreds of hundreds fire wire to connect it all. We also used DSL hard lines (6 or 7 at each event) as wireless wasn’t really available back then.

Tony also built a pay-for-view system to go with the web cast. Really something ahead of its time.

Right as the finals were ending on Sunday night a huge thunderstorm hit and there we were in a tall metal tower pulling metal wire into loops to pack it up in the driving rain while lighting was crashing down all around. And that was the end of NPPL web casting by PbN.

I think it was Bob McGuire and company that might have been the 1st to try the web casting thing. I’m not sure about the plasma streaming part. Might have been a bite early for plasmas? PbN did stream the live web cast into VIP area at the last few events.

Thanks
Ed
Old 06-24-2008, 09:00 PM #16
iTV360
PaintballLive.tv

Hi Ed,

There was actually a Bob involved in the first NPPL webcast, Bob Smith. I am not sure that this interests anyone but us, however I wont let that stop me! That first NPPL event these strange nets crept up in front of our XSNetworks surf camera. Living in HB I went down to investigate, and found the NPPL setting up for their premier event.

They were planning on webcasting the event with 4 Java cameras, and no internet connection. Having already webcast a number of events we offered our services, and using our existing connection and equipment the first live NPPL webcast was born. We took one of the 2 Plasmas we had in the office down there. The expectation was there to do more events, but the sponsorship just wasn't stable enough to fund our travel costs, though Vegas was almost a go, I recall my car being packed and ready to go.

As you mention that is where PbN came in and saw the demand, and provided a solution unlike anything else out there. Everyone else was using Windows Media and CDNs while you found a way to use Quicktime and your existing servers.

Then in a strange twist of fate I noticed on PbN that people were watching our competitors surf camera. I realized what that was costing them and let them know. I ended up going to work with them. We then offered to do the 2005 HB event, and started working on catching PbN for most NPPL webcasts . I think we did help break the record for most postings in a PbN thread one year.

-Dan