PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM #43
Dakkon

Dakkon is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Trust us when we say we understand turf is a nice thing.

However because we would have to move it every year off the fair grounds properties and need a place to store it (Trust me that thousands of square feet of turf is not small). We would also have to level the ground again every year as the ground is tilled. Plus decent turf is definitely not cheap, are all a few good reasons, and there are a few more.

Also, this is just my personal opinion but all turf does is attract tournament players, I fail to see how that is such a good thing? I support the growth of paintball as much as the next player but hey, it is a business, and to be honest tournament players aren't the key to most fields success. If you rely on tournament players you better be able to invest a lot of money. Otherwise the next big tournament field that comes along will steal a good portion of your business.
Dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 PM #44
alienshinubie
Norcal Player

alienshinubie is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakkon View Post
Trust us when we say we understand turf is a nice thing.

However because we would have to move it every year off the fair grounds properties and need a place to store it (Trust me that thousands of square feet of turf is not small). We would also have to level the ground again every year as the ground is tilled. Plus decent turf is definitely not cheap, are all a few good reasons, and there are a few more.

Also, this is just my personal opinion but all turf does is attract tournament players, I fail to see how that is such a good thing? I support the growth of paintball as much as the next player but hey, it is a business, and to be honest tournament players aren't the key to most fields success. If you rely on tournament players you better be able to invest a lot of money. Otherwise the next big tournament field that comes along will steal a good portion of your business.
True for sure.

I am not very educated on exactly how turf is put in, so this may sound a bit stupid, but:

Would it be possible to just get some sections of turf and lay them down in just a few key spots on the field? (Such as along the snake and in front of it). Just the places where someone is likely to be diving. Once again, i'm not sure of how you anchor the turf, and what sizing you buy it in etc, so i really have no idea how this would work. I just picture it as having something like a carpet roller or like sod laid in a few places....
New Feedback (+7 - 0)
Lake Tahoe Skier
alienshinubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 AM #45
Dakkon

Dakkon is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienshinubie View Post
True for sure.

I am not very educated on exactly how turf is put in, so this may sound a bit stupid, but:

Would it be possible to just get some sections of turf and lay them down in just a few key spots on the field? (Such as along the snake and in front of it). Just the places where someone is likely to be diving. Once again, i'm not sure of how you anchor the turf, and what sizing you buy it in etc, so i really have no idea how this would work. I just picture it as having something like a carpet roller or like sod laid in a few places....
USPN did something like that a couple years ago and in my opinion it didn't work that great, however I only played on it twice. One of the problems was the edges kept coming up because it was hard to anchor all around, and causing problems with tripping and such, also if you slid off of it, from moving fast on turf to instant stop on dirt doesn't go so great.
Dakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:00 PM #46
heezlebub
woah!

just a couple more days to go
Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM #47
heezlebub
woah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heezlebub View Post