Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 AM #1
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Idea for the most amazing zombie game ever...

So sometimes when I'll be playing a game, I'll be like "you know what would be cool? If they had a game like ____". Usually within the next year, such a game is made (though, I'm still waiting for a first-person Gladiator game for Wii).

However, upon playing GTAIV, some zombie mod on CS:S, and ****ing with map editors and such, I got to thinking about an epic zombie game.

Basically, the game would revolve around a single world, or city, on par with one from the GTA games. Basically, a good mix of thick urban environments, lush forests, open feilds, and bodies of water. The entire game would then be customizable, with tons of preset game types. Things like setting up weapon pickups, how much ammo you can carry (just a few mags or infinete), what weapons you can carry, vehicles, time of day (bright daylight zombie matches, or night-time brain-gorging fests), weather, and everything else. You can choose to rope off a certain area of the world, like just a few blocks that you have to survive in, or use the entire world. Set points of entry for where th zombies would come from, how many would come at once, maybe break them into waves, or if you are doing the entire world, set how thick of a zombie population you want there to be.

Of course, it would mainly be an online game, having a bunch of buddies fighting things out with you, maybe even some bots if you really want, possibly to take care of and make sure they don't get killed or even have them fight back. People can even join the zombie team, instead of it being just hundreds of mindless bots. Some of the presets on the game could be objectives too, and you can change what the objective is in the editor mode, like it being to run across the city to get to a helicopter, or driving a bus through the zombie infested streets, and once you make it to a waypoint somewhere, you win.

For weapons, there would be a ton, each with it's strengths and weaknesses basing around 5 things: It's class (pistol, AR, SMG, shotgun, rifle, LMG), it's weight (more guns you carry, slower you get, as goes for ammunition as well), speed, power, and ammo capacity.

For vehicles, it would be much the same, except allow for user modification of the vehicles. Like say, you want just a stock car, and try to get it down a busy street of zombies. Or...maybe you want the heavily armored and modified bus off of Dawn of the Dead. Put a plow on it, allow for the passengers to man chainsaws or turrets on it, etc.

There would also be support for users to make their own maps (PC), or download new ones from the developers (360, PS3).

Personally, I think it could be done. After playing GTA, I think it's a very possible thing to do. Would probably be one of the coolest zombie games ever, with ****-tons of replayability. Hell, you really don't need a single-player to it, so cut that out just to save on disk-space.

I'd buy it. I'd buy it and play it every damn day and night. It'd be awesome!

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 PM #2
dhbb05
Hehwwahhhh

Not a bad idea. Not at all. BUT it won't be done unless you do somethin about it

"If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."

CAN TRADE ANY SKATEBOARD BRAND DECK(S) and wheels/trucks/bearings/grip for a new gat! PM ME

FEEDBACK
new feedback
old feedback
dhbb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:07 PM #3
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Well, I made a side-scrolling shooter before in a programming class. It was made with shapes. lulz.

I'm definitely not qualified to do this.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 05-30-2008, 02:09 PM #4
Charlie_Boy (Banned)

An MMO. Straight up.

Not like a "macro this to your keys, and just press one or two buttons to kill something" kinda game. But something where there are a certain amount of people per server like in WoW. You must survive/form groups.

Basically everything you said in MMO form.
Charlie_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM #5
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

I was thinking more of a third/first person shooter...

MMO would get kinda lame. The purpose of the full customization of the maps would to have rounds. Everyone dies, the round ends. You survive the zombies, round ends. You get to the destination, etc, the round ends.

An MMO would be cool, but I'd much rather see it in a full out post-apocalyptic world with more than just zombies. Think Road Warrior meets Dawn of the Dead. And free...

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM #6
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Boy View Post
An MMO. Straight up.

Not like a "macro this to your keys, and just press one or two buttons to kill something" kinda game. But something where there are a certain amount of people per server like in WoW. You must survive/form groups.

Basically everything you said in MMO form.
Would not work. Too many people would be required to be zombies and being zombies definitely would get boring fast.

If you didn't have zombies, it would be too easy to win because there would be too many people in a city. Having a small number like 16 people max for a GTA-sized city is more viable.

Even then, you still have to find a way to keep the plow-trucks from being invincible. What's to keep you from getting in one and just running every zombie over for the rest of the game? What could they do to your truck to destroy it?

Sounds like a good concept, komodo, but you need to think much further into it so that the gameplay is balanced, yet fun. Stay focused on the reward = living rather than reward = winning concept and it could go places.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:24 PM #7
Charlie_Boy (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Would not work. Too many people would be required to be zombies and being zombies definitely would get boring fast.

If you didn't have zombies, it would be too easy to win because there would be too many people in a city. Having a small number like 16 people max for a GTA-sized city is more viable.

Even then, you still have to find a way to keep the plow-trucks from being invincible. What's to keep you from getting in one and just running every zombie over for the rest of the game? What could they do to your truck to destroy it?

Sounds like a good concept, komodo, but you need to think much further into it so that the gameplay is balanced, yet fun. Stay focused on the reward = living rather than reward = winning concept and it could go places.
Heh, not what I meant at all really. Zombies are to already be there, just like mobs in WoW.

They'd do a good job with physics, whoever would be to make this. You couldn't just take a truck and mow down an army of zombies. You would be slowed eventually.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:30 PM #8
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post

Thats what I was thinking. The MMO would be really unbalanced, hence why if there was to be a zombie MMO, it would need to play host to more than just people and zombies.

Plow trucks would be slow, and trying to plow through a street absolutely filled with zombies would be hard, much less trying to go through about 10 or 12 blocks to the place you need to go. Also, zombies would be about "medium". Not super fast like 28 Days Later (yea, i know they aren't zombies, shut up), but not dreadfully slow like the original Dawn of the Dead. Think more of like the Head-Crab zombies. They meander around slowly, and when they are after you, can only max out into maybe a light jog. So, zombies could still be a threat to the vehicle, climbing up the sides, and providing enough force to slow it to a stop to where you'd have to ditch it and hoof it to the destination.

As for the whole reward part, I thought of something kid of like COD4's EXP system. Survivors would be yeilded experience points, along with medals and such depending on the difficulty of the situation, and whatever random challenges are completed during the match. Living IS winning. If you die, it's over. You gain little to no EXP as a survivor, and are forced to now play as a zombie, which will be both difficult and easier at the same time.

*EDIT* back to the actual zombies...it would be best if they were so that from a distance where you have the advantage, you can just mow them down, but when it comes to close-quarters, they have the power in numbers and can over-run you. It would add quite a bit of panic to the situation, and would require strategy as opposed to just running around willy-nilly and blowing off heads. Which, the shotguns would almost need to be a requirement in anyone's inventory, as they will be the most effective at close range. Only head-shots will kill, but body shots would still be able to knock a zombie back into a group, throwing them all off balance, or maybe taking out their legs and slowing them down.

Also, in the levels, traps could be placed all over the city. Run up a flight of stairs with about 20 zombies chasing you, saw off a rope at the top, and an I-Beam suspended from the ceiling will swing down and knock them all back down the stairs or decapitate them, and possibly any of your straggling team-mates. Traps could be an integral part of the game-play, as you could send out people to work a series of traps in case the zombies get into a place you're defending.

Doors and windows would have "health", or maybe a strength meter. All of the zombies, depending on their size, would have a different strengthened punch or swipe. This would keep people from just sitting in a house and picking them off from the roof. They could eventually break down the door, bust through the windows, or splintered the boards you used to board up a hole somewhere.

Stats would be collected on the players too. Things like zombies killed, how many times survived, how many times died, how many teammates you killed or let die in favor of saving yourself, ammo usage, etc.

XBL - xStonedCrow

Last edited by komodo_117 : 05-30-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:33 PM #9
Charlie_Boy (Banned)

Are you suggesting basically the GTA world with zombies?

Oh, and the ability to make barricades is a must.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM #10
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
Thats what I was thinking. The MMO would be really unbalanced, hence why if there was to be a zombie MMO, it would need to play host to more than just people and zombies.

Plow trucks would be slow, and trying to plow through a street absolutely filled with zombies would be hard, much less trying to go through about 10 or 12 blocks to the place you need to go. Also, zombies would be about "medium". Not super fast like 28 Days Later (yea, i know they aren't zombies, shut up), but not dreadfully slow like the original Dawn of the Dead. Think more of like the Head-Crab zombies. They meander around slowly, and when they are after you, can only max out into maybe a light jog. So, zombies could still be a threat to the vehicle, climbing up the sides, and providing enough force to slow it to a stop to where you'd have to ditch it and hoof it to the destination.

As for the whole reward part, I thought of something kid of like COD4's EXP system. Survivors would be yeilded experience points, along with medals and such depending on the difficulty of the situation, and whatever random challenges are completed during the match. Living IS winning. If you die, it's over. You gain little to no EXP as a survivor, and are forced to now play as a zombie, which will be both difficult and easier at the same time.
Well, that would all be okay as long as you aren't expecting much at all in the graphics department. 100's of zombies > good looking zombies.

Experience points would be something that requires a lot of dedication in thought. What are they for? Upgrades? Stats? Weapons? Money? What upgrades, stats, and weapons would there be? How much do you get from kills/assists/victories/etc? How much do you lose from dieing?

If you flesh it out enough, it wouldn't be a very hard thing to achieve by simply working out a mod for another game. Hell, it would probably not be too hard on UT3 and as much as I hate to say it, the UT3 engine might actually look good with it.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:45 PM #11
Charlie_Boy (Banned)

Eww at the thought of experience. Maybe attributes like strength, running speed, or stamina. Or go deeper. Like the ability to hotwire a car and cool stuff like that.

Make people scavenge to find good weaponry.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:51 PM #12
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Yea. In addition to whatever barricades you'd choose to make in a custom-level, you would be able to move tables, chairs, cabinets, barrels, and whatever else you pleased to block doors and whatnot. Each of those would have a "strength" meter as well, and could be destroyed by zombies. I also think the idea of most buildings having a storage of a hammer and nails that you can pick up, and being able to board up windows with random **** would be cool. That, or everyone already has a hammer and infinite nails with them.

*EDIT* Graphics would be GTAIV quality, maybe like Dead-Rising even. The graphics don't matter too much. It's gameplay that does.

Experience would go towards things like yes, strength, stamina, running speed, accuracy with guns, ability to reload, hotwiring cars, and overall "intelligence" of traps, cars, and all the objects in the game, and being able to move and use things more efficiently.

Take for instance, the moving of a sofa to a doorway. In the beginning when you start out, it would require 2 people to move it fully. Once you gain enough strength though, you can move it on your own without getting too tired to run or aim accurately.

Things like perks could also be unlocked at higher experience levels, allowing for random things like ability to carry more things, or multipliers for gaining extra experience for fending off zombies, or healing team-mates.

XBL - xStonedCrow

Last edited by komodo_117 : 05-30-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 PM #13
Charlie_Boy (Banned)

That's why I'm thinking of an MMO since you're bringing in strength meters.

That would play in perfectly.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 PM #14
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

You're thinking RPG elements, NOT MMO. Yes, it would be a third/first (swappable, like UT) person shooter with RPG elements. I can't really see any more than 24 people per server being viable with current technology. 24 is even pushing it. Maybe even 16. Of course, this depends on the platform it comes out on. PC can support more, but I know I'd love to be able to play it from the comfort of my couch as well.

Also, you can design your character any way you want, and you can unlock different accessories and stuff with higher experience. People like that for some reason. I know I do.

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 05-30-2008, 03:00 PM #15
69!

69! is a founding member
69! is playing at Living Legends V
69! is for the Gunfight
69! is Legendary
we don't want to play world of warcraft on our 360

people like first person shooters,
first person ftw.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM #16
Charlie_Boy (Banned)

Unlock? That would be lame as hell. It defeats the purpose of what an apocalyptic zombie type atmosphere is supposed to be. You're supposed to scavenge and use whatever you find. Not just magically be given new weapons because you spent 20 hours playing the game.

I'm talking PC. This would be horribly weak on the 360.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:08 PM #17
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Third person would be cool, but I feel third person being appropriate as well for indoor environments. Also, I'd rather have driving be in third person so I can see all the zombies around me and know what's going on. I would say the same for just regular on foot, but that's a bit unrealistic, since you can't really see behind yourself in real-life.

Maybe an over-the shoulder view, and then a button to bring the gun up to aim in first person view? I think that would be the best.

There also wouldn't be an real health meters. You'd have to rely on how slow your character is moving, if he's limping, if his bleeding, maybe some vibrations of his heart beat for the console versions, and possibly even blur the vision if he's near death. Ammo wouldn't be displayed either, only the number of magazines you have left would be a faint icon on the screen. It would be ideal to make it completely HUD-less, to add to the realism.

*EDIT* Yes, but say you just want to jump into a match, loaded to the teeth with weapons, and want to fight off wave after wave of hundreds of zombies? I like the scavenger idea, but for the most part, it would piss a lot of people off, and if it's going to be a realistic city, not every single house carries ****-tons of ammo and guns. It would also take away from the frantic, tunnel-vision gameplay of just wanting to run down the road if you're having to pop into a house to root for ammo.

Yea, there would be things you can scrounge around and find, and yes, there would be guns and ammo placed everywhere. However, the unlockable thing would just be for better, or cooler weapons, that you can get from the start, as opposed to having to scavenge for it. The basic weapons are more than enough to get the job done, but if you want something cooler or more powerful, or something that holds more ammo, you have to search to find it, or wait until you're a high enough level to unlock it from the start.

*EDIT* I can't see it being any more terrible on 360/PS3 than PC. PC would just have a lot more access to customization and user-content.

XBL - xStonedCrow

Last edited by komodo_117 : 05-30-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM #18
JJTrading
Matty :)

look up left 4 dead. It comes out this year for most systems and has many of the aspects that you described.
JJTrading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM #19
Charlie_Boy (Banned)

Yeah, except it looks absolutely stupid.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:17 PM #20
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

That's what kinda sparked this. But unfortunately, Left 4 Dead is more of like a commercialization of the zombie mod for CS:S. It doesn't look to be that great, in all honesty, and doesn't leave much for customization.

*EDIT* And yea...what he said ^^^.

XBL - xStonedCrow
Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 PM #21
ThatsBriskBaby (Banned)

LEft 4 dead is the closest game to this idea

www.left4dead411.com

Its being developed on the source engine. Its going to be a very good game.
ThatsBriskBaby is offline   Reply With Quote