Community Focus

Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM #1
juice_88
Icarus

has been a member for 10 years
War Books - Suggested Reading

Reserved.

Darker Qorners

Last edited by juice_88 : 11-25-2008 at 07:31 AM.
juice_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM #2
juice_88
Icarus

After seeing quite a few threads asking for good wartime historical narratives, I decided to make this thread. This thread is for anyone who is looking for good, authoritative books on wars throughout history, and discussion of these pieces. If you guys want a section of it devoted to fictional war stories I can add that too. I'll compile my own list and you guys can suggest anything you think is a good book addressing a war which I will then add to the list.

The American Revolution
April Morning - Howard Fast -- Fiction
This novel traces the journey from boyhood to manhood of the protagonist. Further, the novel examines many potential aspects of the first battle/shots of the American Revolution.

1776 - David McCullough -- Nonfiction
Anyone who's interested in early Revolutionary war history should definitely pick this up. Actually gives you insight to what it was like to be apart of the colonial Army and how truly larger then life George Washington was. For instance, a large snowball fight erupts into a massive brawl between kentucky rifleman and the colonial regulars. George Washington steps in the middle of the brawl, grabs two of the biggest fighters by the throat and ends the fight by his mere presence. Great read. I highly suggest it.

The Civil War, or for you southern folk The War of Northern Aggression
The Horrid Pit - Alan Axelrod -- Nonfiction
This book describes one of the worst military blunders in history. It's about the Battle of the Crater, during which Union soldiers dug the longest military tunnel in history (by hand no less), which ended with what one scholar has called "perhaps the most powerful military detonation before Hiroshima." It's a gruesome tales of one of the lesser known battles of the Civil War.

WWI
All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque -- Nonfiction
It follows a German soldier during the First World War, and about the horrors of that war and also the deep detachment from German civilian life felt by many men returning from the front.

WWII
Russia's War - Richard Overy -- Nonfiction
This is basically an overview of WWII from the Russian perspective. It doesn't follow a personal story or anything like that, but it's a great historical perspective of the eastern front during WWII.

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor -- Nonfiction
This focuses on the battle of Stalingrad during WWII. It's a fantastic historical account which addresses the battles leading up to Stalingrad and the battle itself. Although it's a historical overview of the battle in a military perspective, it gets down to personal stories from time to time. Great, great book.

Ivan's War - Catherine Merridale -- Nonfiction
In this book, Merridale attempts to find out who "Ivan" really is. She tells the story of Russian infantry at the most basic level, dealing with the personal struggles and anguishes they went through. She was attempting to really figure out what made a Russian soldier work, and she did an amazing job at defining the Russian soldier during WWII. It's a harrowing, personal tale that deals with many, many soldiers' personal stories. This book is amazing and if you want to learn anything about Russian history during WWII, this is essential reading.

Combat Jump – Ed Ruggero -- Nonfiction
This book is about the 101st airborne jumping into Sicily. This book is a great historical narrative but gets down to the personal level quite well. It really tells a great story about a campaign that not many people know much about, because it was really overshadowed by Operation Overlord. As was typical of paratroopers back then, many of them were scattered among the island and had an insanely difficult time fighting through Axis tanks and infantry trying to relocate their units and take the island.

The Day Of Battle - Rick Atkinson -- Nonfiction
This is a pretty large volume from The Liberation Trilogy which covers the American and British troops invading Sicily and Italy from 1943-1944. It's a very authoritative read and Atkinson is a fantastic writer. Some may find parts of historical narratives boring but Atkinson writes with such finesse that I swept through this almost 600 page book in a week or so.

Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose -- Nonfiction
This book is about a company of men that went from jumping on Normandy on D-Day to taking Hitlers retreat, HBO made a Mini-series about it but read the book before watching the miniseries.......

11 Days in December - Stanley Weintraub -- Nonfiction
This book is about Christmas during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944. It really gives you a personal feel of the soldiers during this time, especially because it was during Christmas, and it's a very good read.

Roll me over - Pending -- Nonfiction
The book follows a soldier who gets drafted and sent in as a replacement following D-Day, it follows him from the race across Europe to the occupation of Berlin. Really in depth book that brings you a new perspective on the American Soldier during World War II.

June 6th, 1944: The Voices of D-Day - By Gerald Astor -- Nonfiction
On the 50th anniversary of the single greatest combined land-sea-air operation of World War II, American and British soldiers and sailors who were there tell for the first time what really happened as they braved a firestorm of Nazi shot and shell. They reveal what went wrong and why, and how they pressed through fearsome resistance.

A Blood-Dimmed Tide: The Battle of the Bulge By the Men Who Fought It - By Gerald Astor -- Nonfiction
As the 50th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge approaches, this engrossing oral history--told in the words of those who were there, from the top decision-makers to foot soldiers in the trenches--addresses the still lingering controversy over who did what to whom, who performed with valor and who committed the most egregious errors.

Brothers In Battle, Best of Friends by William "Wild Bill" Guarnere, Edward "Babe" Heffron, Robyn Post -- Nonfiction
I don't want to give anything a way, but it's pretty much told from the 1st person perspective of Babe Heffron and Bill Guarnere, two paratroopers from Easy Company in the 101st Airborne during WW2 who grew up blocks apart in South Philidelphia but didn't meet until Bill got back from Normandy. This book is completely real, and it isn't sugar coated like some books, these guys give the facts. This book also describes Bill and Babe's childhood up until now. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants a very accurate and personal account of Easy Company through Normandy all the way up to the end of the war.

Unless Victory Comes by Gene Garrison -- Nonfiction
Another great WW2 book, told in the 1st person by Gene Garrison, who was machine gunner in Patton's 3rd Army. This book is also very personal, and it really shows what the average infantrymen went through during the war.

The Deadly Brotherhood by John C. McManus -- Nonfiction
Basically, its a book that describes the entire war from the perspective of the average infantryman, tanker, marine, combat engineer and pilots in the United States Military. The book is made up of complete personal interviews conducted with stories from many soldiers during their harrowing experiances inWorld War 2. You see everything from Burma to the Buldge. Great read if you want to really understand what drove an American solider to fight during World War 2.

An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson. -- Nonfiction

Goes into detail on American forces in North Africa from Algiers until the surrender of Tunisia. There are few books on this theater and fewer still that go into as much detail as Atkinsons. Gives the best description ever of the battles around Kasserine Pass. Isn't shy about the mistakes the military made, from the first day to the last.

Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson -- Nonfiction
His second book, going from the invasion of Sicily to the taking of Rome. Again, not very many good on this theater. Still isn't afraid to tell the truth about the mistakes the Allies made, and definitely shows it wasn't a cake walk. Both his books were amazing reads.

Vietnam
Tunnels of Cu Chi - Tom Mangold and John Penycate -- Nonfiction
This is a great book about the Vietnam War and the daunting task of fighting through the complex series of tunnels dug by the Vietnamese troops. This book really opens your eyes to how difficult this war really was.

We Were Soldiers Once... and Young - General Hal Moore -- Nonfiction
Although I'm only a few chapters in, I can tell that it's a well written book. It's about the first real Air Assault (Air Mobile) forces ever deployed on the battlefield, and is written by LT Gen Harold Moore and Joseph L Galloway. Unlike many other books by higher ranks in the military, though, the work gives proper credit to many enlisted men and fails to allow for Moore to write about himself in a gallant manner; in fact moments of "courage" are often down-played and shed onto his subordinates. Where moments that could be interpreted to be patriotism of the author are given, Moore is sure to allow for this moment to be read through the eyes of another; both quotes from Moore's men and quotes from the Vietnamese side are often. Quite frankly, it is deserving of Norman Schwarzkopf's approval (which he called"a 'must' reading for all Americans," and the Commandant of the Marine Corps's choice for 1993.

Darker Qorners

Last edited by juice_88 : 01-20-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM #3
juice_88
Icarus

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien -- Fiction
The Things They Carried is about a Vietnam vet who returns to the country later on and revisits all the places he has been and recounts the events. O'Brien writes this book as fiction, trying to make a point that sometimes fictional accounts can recount events more than true accounts can; this book deals a lot with the idea of truth.

Fallen Angels - Walter Dean Myers -- Fiction
Fallen Angels is about a squad of Black marines in Vietnam and their missions. They have problems within their own platoon as well as with other squads on their base. It's a good story that I believe accurately depicts some of the struggles soldiers had to deal with.

Korea

The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam -- Nonfiction
Amazing book on Korea. It's frightening how badly prepared American's were for that war, and how poorly it was executed until the arrival of Ridgeway. Spends a lot of time on MacArthur, and how he cared more about his media portrayal than actually fighting or winning a war. Also a good portion of the book is spent on the political nature of fighting that war, with a lot of it having to do with those supporting Taiwan and the good Chinese.

Operation Gothic Serpent
In the Company of Heroes - Michael Durant -- Fiction
A story written from the perspective of Durant describing the moments before, after, and during Operation Gothic Serpent. Asides include his service in other operations/outfits (ie. in Seoul, in Desert Storm, in Panama, and as an operator in the Iraq/Iran conflict).

Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden
-- Fiction
A good reading for the general "jist" of how Operation Gothic Serpent/Code Irene went down. Some factual errors are disputed by the Operators of Task Force Ranger, but they're overall minor attributes; as always, reading the book (which is more written like a novel) should be done as well. For instance, many of the men of TFR refuted Bowden's assertion that there was an air of distinction between the Delta boys and the Rangers. Other issues I experienced include the assertion that American operators wantonly engaged the civilian populace.

The Battle of Mogadishu: First Hand Accounts From the Men of Task Force Ranger edited by Matt Eversmann and Dan Schilling. -- Fiction
A good book, combining the story of many Rangers and other elements of Task Force Ranger. This story refutes many of Bowden's more... lucrative assertions and spiraling motions towards yellow journalism.

Afghanistan
The Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell
-- Nonfiction
The book is about the war on terror, and based on the true story of 4 Navy SEALs who were compromised and ambushed by 100-200 Taliban, and only one lived - All were awarded the Navy Cross and one was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Horse Soldiers - Doug Stanton -- Nonfiction
It talks about the Green Berets ODA teams that went into Northern Afghanistan after 9/11, pulled the fractured Northern Alliance back together and how they routed the Taliban. Great read!

Ghost Wars by Stephen Coll -- Nonfiction
Shows the effect that the Central Intelligence Agency has had on Afghanistan since 1979 until 9/11. It tells how Osama bin Laden plays into the show, as well as Iranian and Pakistani intelligence influence. It's a wide spectrum.

The Afghan Campaign by Stephen Pressfield -- Fiction
Follows the story of a Macedonian recruit through his first few bumps - eighteen month rotations - in Afghanistan under Alexander. Shows the influence of Pashtunwali, even back then, and how deeply embedded it is. Meanwhile, the Afghans continually tell the invaders that they will never take hold over Afghanistan and would fight all invaders if they could economically afford to do so. They can't, so many of them fight for the macks and many fight agaisnt them. Meanwhile, in the end, the Macks wind up agreeing with the various warlords that they must all end the war in a way to see themselves as being victorious... and the Macks are granted passage into India... and the central character remains changed into one of the veterans to whom he looked up at the start of his campaign.

Iraq
No True Glory - Bing West
-- Nonfiction
A good book about the situation in Iraq and the battle for Fallujah. He starts out with a lot of political stuff, and background info about the Iraq War, but it really sets the scene for the marines invasion into Fallujah. Most of the actual invasion is written from marines' personal perspectives, which makes it a great read.

House to House - David Bellavia
-- Nonfiction
First hand account of the current war in Iraq.

The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell By John Crawford
-- Nonfiction
A Florida National Guardsman just trying to get through school is called up to serve his country, it is the story of a part time solider fighting full time.

Generation Kill By Evan Wright
-- Nonfiction
A Reporter from Rolling Stone magazine is embedded with the 1st Recon Marines, he tells us about the struggles and triumphs of the "virgin generation"
getting their war cherry popped. This was just recently made into an HBO mini series, which was not as good as the book, but don't take my word for it!

Beyond Duty: Life on the Frontline in Iraq by Shannon P. Meehan with Roger Thompson -- Nonfiction
Having served as a Lieutenant in the United States Army for a deployment in 06-07 in Baqubah, Meehan reveals his experiences in Iraq. He details how he led his armor platoon, how his men carried out their mission exactly and perfectly, according to the standard operating procedures. But, for the heroism his men display and for all of their best efforts, life in Iraq in '06-'07 remains life in a war zone. People die; house-based IED's take the lives away from men as they raid into them while missiles called by Meehan snuff the life away from children. The memories of each haunt Meehan, and he tries to convey these memories, as well as many others, to the reader without making a judgment on the war's validity.

The Good Soldiers by David Finkel -- nonfiction
Tells the tale of an Army unit sent to Iraq. In the middle of the surge, with Petraeus and Bush telling the United States that everything is going great across Iraq, this microcosm under the control of LTC Kauzlarich is devastated. To the LTC, it seems that nothing is effective. He starts off with FM 3-24 and winds up abandoning it as he sees a perceived ineffectiveness in his region.

Misc. Terrorism

Counterinsurgency in Modern Warfare by Marston and Malkasian -- Nonfiction
Shows various insurgent movements and COIN movements through history. It's pretty good overall view of insurgencies, what has and has not worked. Seems to advocate treating everything as a people problem (population centric). Shows how insurgents can effectively use fear, but the COIN practitioners must use other methods of gaining control.

The Dynamite Club: How a Bombing in Fin-de-siecle France Ignited the Age of Modern Terror by John Merriman -- Nonfiction
Uses the overall movement of (French) anarchism in the late 1800's and specifically Emile Henry. Henry changed tactics by targeting not the police or parliament but the bourgeoisie as a whole. Shows his influences and his own peculiar life that lead to his becoming an anarchist.

If anyone has any suggestions of books for me to add to the list, just post up the same type of information about the books I’ve posted and I’ll edit this list. If anyone has any questions about these books, just ask and I'm sure someone will answer it for you.

Darker Qorners

Last edited by juice_88 : 01-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 PM #4
turdfurgason
You stay classy....

instead of Combat Jump read Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. he also wrote several other WWII books worth checking out. not war related but read The Right Thing by Scott Waddle the skipper for the sub that surfaced and sank the Jap' fishing vessel off of Pearl Harbor in '01. good 1 day read. also 1 Shot 1 Kill, its the story of Carlos Hathcock, great 'Nam book.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:55 AM #5
K-Saw
Hate Train

The Things They Carried
Old 05-07-2008, 05:44 PM #6
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdfurgason View Post
instead of Combat Jump read Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. he also wrote several other WWII books worth checking out. not war related but read The Right Thing by Scott Waddle the skipper for the sub that surfaced and sank the Jap' fishing vessel off of Pearl Harbor in '01. good 1 day read. also 1 Shot 1 Kill, its the story of Carlos Hathcock, great 'Nam book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Saw View Post
The Things They Carried
I've never read any of them, but if you guys would like to post a bit of a description for them I'd definitely put them up. I'm still in the process of moving home from college, but I'll definitely update this once I'm settled again.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-08-2008, 02:14 PM #7
juice_88
Icarus

I updated the list a little bit. Come on, contribute!

Darker Qorners
Old 05-08-2008, 05:00 PM #8
turdfurgason
You stay classy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice_88 View Post
I've never read any of them, but if you guys would like to post a bit of a description for them I'd definitely put them up. I'm still in the process of moving home from college, but I'll definitely update this once I'm settled again.
band of brothers is about a company of men that went from jumping on Normandy on D-Day to taking Hitlers retreat, HBO made a Mini-series about it but read the book before watching the miniseries.......
Old 05-08-2008, 05:25 PM #9
BlkBerry
March 2k4

BlkBerry owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BlkBerry supports Team VICIOUS
The Lone Survivor - by Marcus Luttrell - Current war in Afghanistan.
It's non-fiction and absolutely amazing
Collar City Shakedown #11

GEO 2 POISON +ROTOR +TANK F/S
BlkBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM #10
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdfurgason View Post
band of brothers is about a company of men that went from jumping on Normandy on D-Day to taking Hitlers retreat, HBO made a Mini-series about it but read the book before watching the miniseries.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBerry View Post
The Lone Survivor - by Marcus Luttrell - Current war in Afghanistan.
It's non-fiction and absolutely amazing
Added them. Blk, if you could add a short description it would make the entry a bit better. Thanks for contributing guys, I really hope this takes off.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM #11
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

Vietnam books fo sho.

Fallen angels and hill 488

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:33 PM #12
juice_88
Icarus

Wasn't Fallen Angels fiction?

Darker Qorners
Old 05-08-2008, 05:41 PM #13
rammstein_5v2
Idontfeelanditfeelsgreat

Not sure, haven't read it yet, just recommended by a friend and have it sitting here.

How consistent
How can someone so consistently mess up as much as
Every instance
How can someone inconsistent mess up so consistently
rammstein_5v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 PM #14
juice_88
Icarus

I read Fallen Angels, but I'm pretty sure it was fiction. What about the other one?

Darker Qorners
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 PM #15
BlkBerry
March 2k4

BlkBerry owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BlkBerry supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkBerry View Post
The Lone Survivor - by Marcus Luttrell - Nonfiction
The book is about the war on terror, and based on the true story of 4 Navy SEALs who were compromised and ambushed by 100-200 Taliban, and only one lived - All were awarded the Navy Cross and one was awarded the Medal of Honor.

If you want anymore information on it google Operation Red Wing. Or Wikipidea: Marcus Luttrell

Hope this helps
Collar City Shakedown #11

GEO 2 POISON +ROTOR +TANK F/S
BlkBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 PM #16
juice_88
Icarus

That's perfect, thanks.

Darker Qorners
Old 05-08-2008, 10:08 PM #17
juice_88
Icarus

Excellent. Thanks!

Darker Qorners
Old 05-08-2008, 11:22 PM #18
Mike.Sen
No.

Vietnam: Better Times Than These by Winston Groom

He also wrote Forrest Gump...
Old 05-08-2008, 11:23 PM #19
juice_88
Icarus

And what does that book cover?

Darker Qorners
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 AM #20
K-Saw
Hate Train

The Things They Carried is about a Vietnam vet who returns to the country later on and revisits all the places he has been and recounts the events.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:50 PM #21
juice_88
Icarus

Cool, thanks.

edit- Apparently some of the stories in that book are fiction. I guess I'll add the fiction books and just mark them as such.

Darker Qorners

Last edited by juice_88 : 05-09-2008 at 05:52 PM.