PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-08-2008, 04:01 AM #1
fblainen11
muh name's blaine

A few questions....

First of all I'd just like to say that I'm impressed by the video the guy posted of his Luxe. The user interface seems extremely simple, and in the other one, the gun sounded amazingly quiet. I do have a few questions though. These are for anyone who owns a Luxe or has had plenty of experience with one...cough andy/sean cough.... Also, I would like to say that these questions aren't meant to hate on the Luxe, but I think they do need to be answered seeing how so little info/facts are known about it.

1) Does the gun use an SFT o-ring?

2) Has it been tested in cold weather? Or perhaps weather cold enough to make a comparable gun, like say, the Shocker or DM's, foul up or shoot badly? If so, how did it perform? Any FSDO, Bolt stick, or paint breaks caused by the SFT o-ring (if this gun uses it)

3) We've all seen pictures of the internals now, and no one can deny that it looks similar to a Shocker's internals. What about the internals (other than the coke-can-poptop-rear end) makes it so much different and better than a Shocker? In my honest opinion, it looks like DLX took the Shocker and, I dare say, perfected it, to make the Luxe....almost like Smart Parts did to the Ion to make the EOS or Epiphany. (strictly internally speaking here)

4) During the video of the board settings and also in the online manual, I noticed that there was a setting for "First shot drop compensator". First shot drop off, as most Shocker owners can tell you is sometimes a big problem with them. If the Luxe is designed from a Shocker, which it looks much like a distant relative or perhaps a cousin to me, and this Luxe is supposed to be a "luxury" gun then why oh why was this not a top priority on the list of things to be resolved? Were these settings put on the board as a just-in-case thing? Or did the people who tested, researched, and engineered this gun actually find this to be a problem/issue with the Luxe?

5) What are the similarities, if any, and differences between the firing mechanism of the Shocker and Luxe?

That's all for now. Please don't take this as flaming or anything. To me, and probably a few others, it looks like DLX took the Shocker and modified the way it fired a bit to make it even better. In my opinion, its not a bad thing at all. I love my Shocker and the way it shoots, but I'm just wondering what the main differences between the two are as far as the internals go, and at the same time, trying to find out a little bit more about the Luxe and how it performs.
Thanks,
Blaine

Dye Throttle

Torque Loader

Last edited by fblainen11 : 05-08-2008 at 04:05 AM.
fblainen11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:57 AM #2
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ydna is BST Trusted
Yes there's an SFT o-ring in there. As you've mentioned the firing operation is similar to a Shocker, so the cold weather performance will likely be on par with a Shocker, which tends to be on par with similar spool-based markers also as you mentioned. Generally this means increasing your frequency for maintenance, possibly switching to a softer SFT o-ring (at your own risk). More frequent regulator maintenance also helps although that varies from situation to situation (and also depends on the condition of the reg coming into the cold weather).

FSDO is a tricky problem though. It's a problem that is sometimes caused by the bolt...but sometimes it's caused by the electrnoics, and sometimes caused by the solenoid. There's actually a number of totally separate causes for this drop problem, which all end up producing the exact same symptoms in the end (which we call FSDO). In my experience the dropoff is often related to the solenoid, either by undergreasing or by the pilot valve becomming dirty or overgreased. Moisture can accumulate there as well, causing issues. The setting on the board is designed to guard against those things more than anything related to the bolt assembly. Fortunately the marker uses a Parker solenoid which tends to be pretty good on FSDO, and some replacement parts are easy to find for them. Shockers using the more expensive Humphrey solenoids would often come down with FSDO as a result of the moisture issue from above.
One of the other things about this marker is that it uses a mroe generic solenoid design than Shockers and Nerves, so there's also the possability of using other solenodis here as well. I can think of three or four solenoids I have sitting here that actually use the same port layout and will theoretically mount up to the Luxe's manifold. Question is will they fit inside a Luxe frame...not sure yet since I haven't tried (but you know I will )
These days you can't have a respectable circuit board without including some kind of anti dropoff feature like that (lol)

The firing operation is similar to a Shocker with some refinements to the parts layout and interaction. The internals are actually laid out similar to a hybrid between the previous Shocker HE bolts, and the Evolve Shocker bolts from a few years back, combining features of both. For instance the Luxe bolt is fully balanced like the Evolve bolt, but uses additional air volume inside the bolt guide component like an HE bolt. It takes the advantages of both and combines them.
There are other design issues going into the specific layout but I won't go into that. I just feel I shoudl mention that since the HE bolt has some inherant features not present in Evolve bolts, and vice-versa.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM #3
thatdoolinkid

Any word on efficiency numbers Ydna?

"The problem isn't a need for more 'idiot proof' guns. The problem is they keep making better idiots!"
-anonymous
thatdoolinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM #4
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
I can't say much about that quite yet, but I'm expecting good results here. Honestly the only reason I say that is because Evolve Shocker bolts did indeed tend to yield better shot count than HE bolts (as much as I hate to admit it). The question is in the differences between the different manufacturers, since oftentimes Evolve botls that didn't perform as well as others, did so due to very tiny machining issues. There's more to it but I won't start. But that said I'm pleased thus far since SP manufacturing is nothing to be trifled with.

More info forthcoming, I assure you

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Old 05-08-2008, 03:12 PM #5
thatdoolinkid

I'm guessing you're working on an animation as well......

"The problem isn't a need for more 'idiot proof' guns. The problem is they keep making better idiots!"
-anonymous
thatdoolinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:33 PM #6
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is BST Trusted
Well actually you can check out the Evolve Shocker bolt animation on zdspb.com right now.

In the future I'll make a new one, showing some of the DLX internals and arrangement, but the firing assembly won't be too different.

As told by Stobaeus