PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-25-2008, 12:43 PM #1
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Cap'n Crunch.........WITH Crunchberries

I am going to do something I generally do not do in a forum such as this......share a deeply personal experience. It is actually quite trivial in the larger scheme of things, but I do expect you to show some respect. Show your backside instead and I will report you. On to business.......

It's been on my mind for a moment to post this story here because I always see atheists in here asking about how we experience God. How do we know He's there? How has He shown Himself to us personally? While I haven't seen Him physically and I can't give some detailed vision where I felt as though I'd been in His presence, I can share this small, seemingly insignificant story which is a little testimony of mine regarding God's providence.

Several years ago, my wife and I were going through some VERY hard times....maritally and financially. Now, I was working and working quite hard (carrying a couple jobs) but it seemed as if it just was never enough and I was beat up from it, emotionally speaking. I was fatigued. Now, being the type of father I am, my three kids came first....period. So, as things got tighter we had to cut back on certain "extravagances," one of which was certain groceries. In this case, those groceries would be anything which didn't directly go into the children's mouths so since they were still very young that meant I'd have to forego my Cap'n Crunch w/Crunchberries in lieu of Kix and Cheerios.

Here's we I get providential on your butts! Lol.

So, one of the places I'm working at the time is KABC for a show called Eye on L.A. I'm working a night shift ("second shift") there after I've left my first gig. So, I show up at KABC and get through the guard gate and I'm on my way to the edit bay. I get up there and I'm waiting for the producer I'm working with that evening and after waiting a while she shows up. She has some tapes, a clipboard and a large-ish box in her hands. We exchange the usual salutations, go sit down in the edit suite and begin to discuss the evening's project. After being briefed I set to the task of preparing my computer for the project and begin editing. While I'm doing that the producer opens the large box and lo' and behold, inside the box is a FAMILY SIZE box of Cap'n Crunch w/Crunchberries. She says, "Hey, I don't like this stuff. Do you want it?" Ummmmm, yes. I do.

Ok, so that was a nothing story, but if we back up a little you'll find out why this has meaning.

Just a week or so prior to this evening I'd said to my wife that I was tired of working so much and feeling like it was going nowhere because I was sacrificing all I could. I told her that all I wanted was just some Crunch Berries cereal and I'd be happy. That's it. I just wanted to feel like I was seeing something personal from all the effort I was putting forward. No Lexus, no miraculous solving of our debt.....I just wanted to be able to go buy myself some Crunch berries. This may seem a tad selfish to those w/o children, but parents whose all goes into everything except anything having to do with them personally for long periods of time will understand if they're honest. So, I actually said aloud....somewhat jokingly...."Lord, can't a brotha just get some Crunchberries? I bust my behind and that's all I ask. I just would like some Cap'n Crunch."

Fast forward now to the producer who is telling me, after I'd told her that was my fav cereal, that apparently that box had been there at the guard gate all day and prior to arriving in the edit suite to work with me she'd just stopped by the guard gate and they said they had something for her and had been trying to get ahold of her all day. She'd been on the lot all day and in her office for most of it and couldn't understand why they were unable to reach her. Internally, I just laughed and said a silent "thank you" because I know why they couldn't find her all day and where that came from.

End of story.

Now, where you may see coincidence, I see a chain of events which began with me griping about a silly box of cereal and then having a situation where it is provided for me in a scenario where the person could have had the box earlier in the day and had given it away already. However, it worked out that at the right time, on the right day the box got to the woman and then to me in such a fashion as it did. We as Christians believe that God is like a father to us and wants to have a personal relationship with us......even in the small, seemingly insignificant minutiae of our lives. It's in the little things that happen time and again and eventually build to a large body of little things that we see God's communion with us....if we choose to walk with Him in His ways.
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!

Last edited by shaka zulu : 04-25-2008 at 01:08 PM.
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM #2
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Thanks Brother that put a smile on my face.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 PM #3
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
awesome testimony. thanks!
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:01 PM #4
sirX
The next Jeremy Salm

sirX donated to help Peyton Trent
sirX supports Team VICIOUS
sirX is reppin' sidebar 4 life
sirX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu View Post
Lord, can't a brotha just get some Crunchberries?
lol. Cool story. I must say I had no idea what this would be about when I opened it.
sirX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:05 PM #5
QuantomToast

Although i see how someone of faith would perceive that as a message, i still just see coincidence. But whatevah, if you believe it, more power to ya Good read
Reason Krew #3

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

“Life is for the living. Death, too, is for the living. If you are fascinated or entertained by death, make the most of it while you’re alive. When you really are dead, it won’t hold any interest at all.” - Anton Szandor LaVey
QuantomToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 PM #6
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

God is GREAT isn't he. He's always provided for my family and myself.
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728
Furious_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:26 PM #7
ProCarbinesRule! (Banned)
Man made God

ProCarbinesRule! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:57 PM #8
snowbandit16
Operations Manager :XOR:

The small and simple things
Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 PM #9
kylethepollack
As polish as they come...

It is a tradition in Green Bay to sacrifice a virgin on gameday to appease the Patrons of the packers: Curly Lambeau, Vince Lombardi, Ray Nitchke, Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, Reggie White, and Brett Favre.
kylethepollack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM #10
outlawl
loldozer

Too bad God isnt powerful enough to give crunchberries to starving African Christians.
outlawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:05 PM #11
snowbandit16

Why would He? The Africans who really need them can't even digest them. God gave them penutbutter and honey instead.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:07 PM #12
The Crusader
Blowin' minds since 1989

I opened this thread prepared to flame, and I probably would have if it wasn't you Shaka.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 PM #13
snowbandit16

What a sweet guy
Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 PM #14
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawl View Post
Too bad God isnt powerful enough to give crunchberries to starving African Christians.
At least you were respectful. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
I opened this thread prepared to flame, and I probably would have if it wasn't you Shaka.
I wear a flame retardant suit. You are more than welcome to voice your opinion of the scenario in a respectful manner. That's why I posted it here and not in the CK thread. I don't mind discussing it, I just didn't want it to be an immature flame/ smart alek "war."

Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 PM #15
The Crusader
Blowin' minds since 1989

Quote:
I wear a flame retardant suit. You are more than welcome to voice your opinion of the scenario in a respectful manner. That's why I posted it here and not in the CK thread. I don't mind discussing it, I just didn't want it to be an immature flame/ smart alek "war."
Well there's not much I can say about it. You've shown me respect in the past, so i'll do the same in return. However, when reading the thread title in the R/P section I wasn't even planning on reading the OP until I saw you posted it.

Regardless, this wouldn't be enough to convince me of any sort of higher being. I mean, I like Crunchberries as much as the next guy and although it's close, they're no miracle.

On a more serious note...i've seen a lot about miracles lately on pbn. As a Christian, don't you think that the concept of miracles defies Christian autonomy/free will? Things such as this don't infringe upon anyone's freedom, as you have the choice to interpret it as you will, but how do you feel about miracles on a larger scale such as saving someone's life or guiding someone to some greater truth?

In fact, divine intervention seems to be an infringement upon free will. You are still given a choice, but your choice is now guided by outside unearthly influences. So instead of your choices being made for you, your are being guided.

Lets say this exact situation happened to me. And lets assume the Christian god exists. Now I am presented with a choice. I can choose to believe that the crunchberries are a gift from god, or a coincidence. Now I have free will to choose, but this situation was presented to me, rather than a situation I have created for myself.

Also, if god can intervene in the world of free will in small circumstances, why not in large ones? It just seems like this would be "bending the rules". Rules that have been supposedly dictated by god himself. So why would god break or bend his own rules?
Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 PM #16
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Easy........I asked. Remember, my prayer a week or so earlier? I half jokingly asked for some Crunchberries, therefore God didn't infringe upon my will by guiding the situation. He actually answered a desire/prayer. Now, if I'd never mentioned the Crunchberries in prayer then what you said would fit.

Good questions though.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 PM #17
snowbandit16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusader View Post
In fact, divine intervention seems to be an infringement upon free will. You are still given a choice, but your choice is now guided by outside unearthly influences. So instead of your choices being made for you, your are being guided.
On the contrary, Guidence is not restriction. how would you be without Roadsigns to prompt you? What if you "raised yourself" with no parental influence? Do you play on a pb team? Where would you be without an experienced coach?

God has the Holy Ghost to inspire and prompt people. They may or may not adhere to those proptings. That is totally their freedom.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:22 PM #18
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

Quote:
Good questions though.
2% or skim?

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:26 PM #19
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potz4Prez View Post
2% or skim?
Lactaid. I gotz thee n70l3r4nc3!!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:31 PM #20
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

ooo.. that's rough. I love milk. Excellent choice on the cereal, but Frosted Flakes and the tiger can kick cap'n's *** any day.

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 PM #21
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potz4Prez View Post
ooo.. that's rough. I love milk. Excellent choice on the cereal, but Frosted Flakes and the tiger can kick cap'n's *** any day.

True, but the Quaker pwns all! He has Oh!s and Raisins and Spice Instant Oatmeal. So, in sum...

The Cap'n < Tony the Tiger < The Quaker (and Wilford Brimley)