Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 AM #1
bcppl

Annual Supporting Member
bcppl donated to help Peyton Trent
bcppl supports our troops
BCPPL Event #1 recap and wrap up

The sun shined most of the weekend on what was a event to remember for paintball in Canada. Tons of the latest new products from vendors at the trade show, a National event atmosphere and of course lots of great paintball.

A new area in elite paintball was established in B.C. A near record number of highly competitive and skilled Division1 teams battled it out for $1000’s in cash prizes. And to top it all off, almost every team was in the running to win!

Divisions 2 and 3 were also very closely matched in the prelims, but only the only the lucky few would play on Sunday afternoon.

We are very proud of what is a very strong and established Division 1 program. Event 2 should hit the 10 team mark in this Division.

The free live webcast was by far our best yet. 2 HD cameras panned the field for all Division 1 and 2 games and most Division 3 games. The actual webcast was not in HD because of bandwith capabilities. Game footage was recorded in HD, and the results are beyond stunning. We are working through the footage right now for the purpose of making some highlight clips. All approx 48 hours of footage must be converted and edited. Until then we are happy to make available game by game footage (for a fee) from the webcast at bcppl.com. We will be adding games on a daily basis. DVD’s will be available free to anyone who rents/purchases 10 webcast clips/games. These DVD’s will not be offered for sale, and will only be edited for teams as needed……they will all include every game from that teams side of the field and all footage will be 1080p.

The webcast itself had a average of 2000 unique hits per day from all over the world. Division 1 and 2 games featured color commentary from Justin Cornell (Edmonton Impact) and Justin Timana. They did a great job explaining the action that was happening on the field and offered technical insight only great players can give……all with some humour. Thanks again to both Justin’s for the great work! These guys are going to be famous (one already is)!

Bryce Casselman from www.brycecasselman.com braved to intense hail of paint bullets to capture some incredible photos of players and teams. Please support this great photographer by buying one of his CD’s indexed by team. Ordering info can be found on his website above.

Officiating was incredible! The ref crew at E1 had a combined 26 years of NXL and NPPL PRO experience. Many of these incredible players have reffed BCPPL events in the past, but never all together at once. Nothing got by them, as there eyes for the game are outstanding. A large majority of players commented that this was by far the best reffed tournament they had ever attended. Thanks again to this great group of individuals for there contributions.

Also noteworthy and deserving of a big Thank you is to Gerry, a Planet Eclipse tech manager who flew all the way from Rhode Island New York just to attend Event #1. And to Owen from Badlands Toronto for making the trek specifically for our season opener. Thanks to Sean/Badlands for making this happen, and for making sure everyones guns where in top notch shape!

We will once again salute the winning teams in there Divisions……

Div1 1st Van City Spartans

2nd WCA Vendetta

3rd IDK

4th Notorious

Div2 1st WCA Blackstar

2nd Avalanche Canada

3rd CIA

4th Onslaught

Div3 1st Lil Sniperz

2nd MPI Unleashed

3rd SVP Kids

4th Lunatiks

Complete official scores can be found HERE

Also a special thank you to our 2008 Diamond and Platinum sponsors…..

Badlands Paintball

Instock Paintball

MR Paintball

PBL

Paintball Gear Canada

Pacific Paintball

Canadian Paintball

Planet Eclipse

PBNation

Also a big thank you to the XPBC.NET Crew for linking the webcast to the front page of the site!

Event #2 info and registration instructions will be out within the next few days. See you all in May!
bcppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2008, 01:45 AM #2
Karzac

i agree with everything you said, except i dont think its fair that the only people interested in watching the games recorded by the webcast would be the people actuelly playing, therefore we would be the only ones paying 10$ to watch 7 minutes games of our own teams. just dont think its fair to us, since we pay the money to play. not really a big deal, just kinda sucks.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM #3
bcppl

Annual Supporting Member
I appreciate that it sucks......But there is no reasonable way we can provide footage on a continuous basis for free. Everybody wants tournament video, and the biggest (only) most demanding audience is the players. The webcast itself is relativley easy to provide with $20,000 worth of gear and paying a few people to run it. Editing,converting,indexing, and uploading are extremely time consuming and costly.

The benefits to the league of doing a live webcast is to show off our sport, let parents,friends, and maybe even grandma watch. It also promotes our sponsors and drives new players into tournament paintball.

We have had DVD's of tournaments produced in the past as you probably know. The problem with these is you probably would only see a glimpse of your team throughout the whole end product. We would spend 80-100 hours editing. More time and expense burning and packaging. Only to sell 20 copies because it is so easy make copies for the rest of the team.

The price was concieved so we can bring you all game by game footage on demand for every event all year for a reasonable price. This new program will still be run at a loss for us. Some people do not care about watching at all.....so its not like everyone is going to pay.

If a team of 7 guys pays $15.00 dollars each and buys 10 games, they will get a full DVD of every one of there games, including finals, along with the webcast footage. The DVD is custom made for each team and in HD as stated, this will take about 10 hours to create from the 48 hours of footage from all cameras.

We have paid $75.00 per game at NPPL events to have our games filmed. Close to $1000.00 for the whole event......and then wait 3 months to get your DVD only to find the footage is crap.

We could rebroadcast the entire event, but the chances of seeing yourselves is almost nil. To rebroadcast the event once would cost us about $2-300 in bandwith charges. And it still takes longer because we need to piece together 8-10 gbs of video into one file and still edit it.

This solution is the best we could come up with to provide a consistent service.......at a loss to us.

What price/ delivery method do you think is fair?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:09 AM #4
Karzac

that is all understandable. but i think, personally, we would benfit much more with a dvd with 2-3 games of each team, for a price of 10-30$. that way one team that wants to go over games and what went right/wrong can buy one dvd for the whole team to watch.

10$ for one match just seems a little to extreme for me, being that its on the internet aswell, alot of teams simply dont have the time or money to paypal or credit card, what have you, 10$ to watch a game once, or even 20$ to buy one game and then get the whole team over to their house to view this 7 minute match.

thats just my $0.02 but i dont know every detail, nor every cost. i appriciate the fact that you guys do this for us how ever, i just wish my grandma liked paintball.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:23 PM #5
PB_Adikt

It's true, video editing is the grossest work to be done on computer. Takes forever, freezes and crashes computers all the time and is a pain in the *** in general. At first glance it does look a little pricey, but when you think about it, as Mike explained, at $15 per player it really isn't a bad price. I just wish there were more vids of my team winning. I guess we'll have to do somethng about that for E2.

Proud to be killing for:
Adiktion Paintball
PB_Adikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:40 PM #6
KanadaKid
Dustin-Cathro

haha so true^^
but ya the dvd isnt that bad if you do it $15 per player and its apparent HD footage so i bet its pretty amazing.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 PM #7
Sir Dies-Alot
In love with THC.

has been a member for 10 years
So.... uh.... D3 footage?

Matt
Sir Dies-Alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:15 PM #8
bcppl

Annual Supporting Member
Sorry, probably not until next week. There is alot of footage!!!!