PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 AM #1
(!)ROBERTrhl(!)
What the ***?

(!)ROBERTrhl(!) helped look for balloons
A question to all musicians.

Do you guys think that becoming good at an instrument (in my case guitar) is a skill that is learned immediately, or a skilled that is learned over time? Do you feel it is possible for an individuals learning and skill to just stop completely forever at one point in their playing carriers (give it they don't stop)? I don't ask this question in reason for any of you to think this true of my self, but I am wondering for my future reference.
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 AM #2
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

has been a member for 10 years
You can never stop improving at music. You can however, get to the point where getting better involves more work than you are willing to put in. This is the only limiting factor of your skill.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 AM #3
(!)ROBERTrhl(!)
What the ***?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
You can never stop improving at music. You can however, get to the point where getting better involves more work than you are willing to put in. This is the only limiting factor of your skill.
This is why I plan to play forever. I expect at sometimes in my life I will play all day and night, and at other times I won't pick the instrument up for weeks, but I will always end up picking it back up at some point.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:58 AM #4
juice_88
Icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by (!)ROBERTrhl(!) View Post
Do you guys think that becoming good at an instrument (in my case guitar) is a skill that is learned immediately, or a skilled that is learned over time? Do you feel it is possible for an individuals learning and skill to just stop completely forever at one point in their playing carriers (give it they don't stop)? I don't ask this question in reason for any of you to think this true of my self, but I am wondering for my future reference.
I don't think instrument carriers will affect your playing; hell, I don't even have a case for my bass.

On a serious note though, do you mean to ask 2 completely opposite questions or is that a mistake?

Darker Qorners
juice_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:02 AM #5
Mosh Clockwise
ultrasuede|cushion

im confused by this as well, but ill give it a try.

sure, anyone can just stop playing. sell your **** and find something new. as far as learning, that would vary from person to person. some people can learn with relative ease, although its never immediate, and other people have to work on it.

Green Bay
Gonzaga
Jesu-WHAT!?!

ultrasuedecushion.tumblr.com
mistercharles.tumblr.com
Mosh Clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:27 AM #6
Sprite!!!Sprite!!! (Banned)

You may be in a rut/on a plateau, but it's something you can get out of, your learning isn't just going to stop completely. There's more out there for you to do, learn a new technique, learn some theory, whatever.
Sprite!!!Sprite!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 PM #7
Mr. Ando (Banned)

Quote:
music is a journey. No one ever gets to the end.
Mr. Ando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:52 PM #8
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Reaper666 View Post
and when you get REALLY good, you can be like john petrucci and control how many people die

My particular favorite.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 PM #9
The Ethanator
conveniently inconvenient

learning how to play is a process that may not even take over an hour of your time. mastering an instrument, however, can take many years and may not be achieved even with a lifetime of practice. as stated above, there comes a point where the only limiting factor is how much effort you are willing to put into practicing. and mastering an instrument may only be a matter of opinion. whether or not somebody has 'mastered' an instrument may be a question of what type of music the person plays, how big their fan base is, etc. for example, if i were to ask who was the better guitarist: dimebad darrel, yngwie malmsteen, or zakk wylde, we could go on for days arguing who was best. but half the posts made would probably be just simple "well hes the best because he pwns that one solo". so learning an instrument is even more than a lifelong process
Old 04-14-2008, 05:32 PM #10
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post

My particular favorite.
Lol, I haven't seen that one. I love those videos so much, whoever makes them is amazing.
ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:42 PM #11
ghostcell

I'm ALWAYS looking for something to improve on. Even if a few people think I'm good, I always think I suck, so I keep practicing and practicing.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:59 PM #12
(!)ROBERTrhl(!)
What the ***?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcell View Post
I'm ALWAYS looking for something to improve on. Even if a few people think I'm good, I always think I suck, so I keep practicing and practicing.
I am with on you this. I feel I am horrible, but I really enjoy playing and people tell me I'm good. But anyone can look good playing to someone who doesn't know **** about guitar and music.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 PM #13
ghostcell

Quote:
I am with on you this. I feel I am horrible, but I really enjoy playing and people tell me I'm good. But anyone can look good playing to someone who doesn't know **** about guitar and music.
Exactly. I still don't think I could get up infront of a crowd and play to my full ability. I've only played one show, and it was about 40 people and I was playing a simple rhythm.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:22 PM #14

Where did you play at and who did you play for? I still haven't played an actual gig unless you count jazz band stuff with school.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM #15
chillinspyder2
Rockin' Cocks

I absolutely love playing guitar. Granted I'm fairly new, and suck reasonably bad. But its a big passion of mine.
chillinspyder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:33 PM #16
ACE159
I <3 DRUMMING

when u play ur first full song there is no better felling..there is no better felling of accomplishment....stick with it...
"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten."~George Carlin
2012 Scavenger Hunt Champs- STarmy
ACE159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM #17
KamakaziWatermelon
split the atom

KamakaziWatermelon helped look for balloons
I've been playing bass for about a month and already it's surpassed any other hobby I've ever had in fun-level.
Nothing beats playing a song you just learned and hearing it yourself

Volucris: My family members often wake me up in the middle of the night telling me I've been screaming battle commands at the top of my lungs while sleeping. I don't know what it means but I don't complain about my dreams."

KamakaziWatermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:35 PM #18
ghostcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsWhatSheSaidV.2 View Post
Where did you play at and who did you play for? I still haven't played an actual gig unless you count jazz band stuff with school.
The place I take lessons at does these shows every spring and fall. It consists of all the students at the shop playing with some of the teachers who fill in for positions that weren't taken. It's pretty fun actually, and most of the people watching is just parents and random people so It's really not a big deal.

It's not a "gig" lol.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:37 PM #19
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
I'd have to say that song writing is something people are born with. Sure, there's a science for writing pop music, but true, emotional songwriting is something that comes from the heart. Sure, that can only be unleashed depending on your technical ability, but technical ability can be taught/learned by anyone. It's kind of a 50/50 thing, I guess.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostcell View Post
The place I take lessons at does these shows every spring and fall. It consists of all the students at the shop playing with some of the teachers who fill in for positions that weren't taken. It's pretty fun actually, and most of the people watching is just parents and random people so It's really not a big deal.

It's not a "gig" lol.
The place I go to does that too, but I've never done it before, I really should do it some time. The only problem is that I don't have a band at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamakaziWatermelon View Post
I've been playing bass for about a month and already it's surpassed any other hobby I've ever had in fun-level.
Nothing beats playing a song you just learned and hearing it yourself
Have you learned Bombtrack yet? It's RATM's most fun song to play and I know you're a fan of them.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM #21
ghostcell

It was fun because me and a friend had signed up for the same song. I've got another friend who's taking bass lessons so we're going to try and get all 3 of us into one song.