PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-24-2008, 05:06 PM #43
timmyt (Banned)
relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtammy View Post
You mean they need to be less attractive? Please tell me you didn't mean that.
It was just a play on words. No harm intended.
timmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 PM #44
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy View Post
If something can be found, then it exists.

Your logic is fail.
Well he means that we supposedly extrapolate racist connotations out of everything. The unfortunate thing about that statement was it's a poor, unfounded generalization.

Although what you said is entirely true, and if everything we have ever declared on this forum as officially racist (which I'd love rebel to cite) is true, your statement is even more relevant.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM #45
Gatyr

Gatyr plays in the PSP
Gatyr supports Cereal Killerz 2
Gatyr is an NCPA player
Gatyr plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
You are not going to be successful in most fields if you talk in ebonics, it's inferior in that sense.
It isn't inferior then, the people who speak that way are just subject to the prejudices "successful" people hold towards people who speak with Ebonics. As long as grammar remains proficient, no one accent or dialect is superior to another.

I recognize one is more likely to land you a job than the other, though.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 PM #46
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

has been a member for 10 years
Rebeltilldeath3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by JcKa View Post
I find racism in everything? Lets just ignore the fact that you don't know me, have never heard me speak in real life, and have likely only read maybe 1-5 posts of mine, how do I find racism in everything? Answer that exact question if you'd please.

Your statement:

Care to elaborate exactly what you meant?

I enjoy it? You're so right about me, it's scary.

Get over yourself. Trying to paint me as actually believing she had a legitimate argument was cute, but I'm sorry to disappoint you, I'm not going to play that game with you. What she said was stupid, there's no denying it, but I find a problem with your post.

When I don't have white people on my bus calling black people ******s I'll believe that.
You automatically assumed I meant black people bring it upon themselves, you used almost those exact words as well.

Is that not looking for racism? As I said before, I used a very open ended statement. What's the first thing you interpret? Racism.

Nice response though with the twisting of my words. I never said every post you made was looking for racism. I never attempted to paint you at siding with her.

Get over myself? You're the one all bothered by my comment.
How I'd miss all the whiskey an' women.
I tried to be true, but it's all I can do,
Keepin' up with the Jonesin'
Rebeltilldeath3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 PM #47
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Quote:

Your logic is fail.
I can find racism in a bag of M&M's, is that racist?

People can find a conspiracy theory in almost every action of the government, does that mean they are all conspiracies?

Your logic is fail.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM #48
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebeltilldeath3 View Post
You automatically assumed I meant black people bring it upon themselves, you used almost those exact words as well.

Is that not looking for racism? As I said before, I used a very open ended statement. What's the first thing you interpret? Racism.

Nice response though with the twisting of my words. I never said every post you made was looking for racism. I never attempted to paint you at siding with her.

Get over myself? You're the one all bothered by my comment.
Jesus Rebel, how about you answer the question: What did you mean?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 PM #49
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Quote:
Jesus Rebel, how about you answer the question: What did you mean?
If that's all you wanted, you could have saved your little diatribe and just asked the question.

Racism exists out of pure stupidity. It doesn't matter what color you are, idiocy breeds racism. Moronic comments like black names for hurricanes only throws more fuel on the fire.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:05 PM #50
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
If that's all you wanted, you could have saved your little diatribe and just asked the question.

Racism exists out of pure stupidity. It doesn't matter what color you are, idiocy breeds racism. Moronic comments like black names for hurricanes only throws more fuel on the fire.
My diatribe? I did ask the question.

See, was that so hard? Say that the first time, we wouldn't have had this confusion. And racism does not exist out of "pure stupidity," unless you consider stupidity to be intolerance, ignorance, insecurity, and hate.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 PM #51
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
I understood what he wrote perfectly fine. The woman is an idiot and idiocy breeds racism. I don't get the fuss over breaking his statement down.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:17 PM #52
Rebeltilldeath3
Suicide Messiah

Quote:
My diatribe? I did ask the question.

See, was that so hard? Say that the first time, we wouldn't have had this confusion. And racism does not exist out of "pure stupidity," unless you consider stupidity to be intolerance, ignorance, insecurity, and hate.
What else could intolerance, ignorance, insecurity, and hate be classified as? I've never heard those characteristics being intelligent, nor does anyone perceive them as that.

Person 1) I hate black people because they're all gang bangers!

Person 2) You know, you're very intelligent.

See my point?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM #53
JcKa
post-Hipster

Crystal.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 PM #54
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
What else could intolerance, ignorance, insecurity, and hate be classified as? I've never heard those characteristics being intelligent, nor does anyone perceive them as that.

Person 1) I hate black people because they're all gang bangers!

Person 2) You know, you're very intelligent.

See my point?
I think the point is not that anyone classifies these traits as "intelligent," it's just that they also should not be classified as "stupidity." These are traits independent of intelligence. Hitler was very intelligent and a powerful leader. If he was smarter or more informed, it would not have made him less hateful. His hate was independent of his intelligence.

We do what we must, and call it by the best names.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
ipoppedtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:38 PM #55
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatyr View Post
It isn't inferior then, the people who speak that way are just subject to the prejudices "successful" people hold towards people who speak with Ebonics. As long as grammar remains proficient, no one accent or dialect is superior to another.
As much as I say I hate to disagree with you, I disagree with you.

Modern day Ebonics (if you could call the language of modern day, mainstream rap the "cultural dialect" of modern Ebonics) is nothing more than language sloppiness and overly aggressive stereotypes devaluing other groups of people (women).

I mean, look just the chorus of this huge radio hit:

I'm To Clean Off In This Hoe
Watch Me Crank And
Watch Me Roll
Watch Me Crank Dat Roosevelt
Then Super soak That Hoe,
Super Soak That Hoe
I'm to Fresh Off In This *****
Watch Me Show
Now Watch Me Gig
Watch Me Crank My Shoulder Work
And Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman that *****

-Soulja Boy
"Crank Dat"

This isn't language; this is a bunch of *******s creating asinine metaphors for blatantly offensive acts of subjection. And this isn't an isolated incident. This is one of many hit "hip-hop" songs popular today.

It drives me crazy to listen to people argue that ebonics is an acceptable dialect. Ebonics of yesteryear (think 60's- 70's) was a dialect because it was a direct reflection of African-American culture in language. This modern day **** is nothing more than an excuse to talk like a ****ing *******.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 PM #56
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellarKnight View Post

Modern day Ebonics (if you could call the language of modern day, mainstream rap the "cultural dialect" of modern Ebonics) is nothing more than language sloppiness and overly aggressive stereotypes devaluing other groups of people (women).

Watch Me Crank And
Watch Me Roll
Super Soak That Hoe
Watch Me Show
Now Watch Me Gig
And Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman that *****

-Soulja Boy
"Crank Dat"

This isn't language; this is a bunch of *******s creating asinine metaphors for blatantly offensive acts of subjection. And this isn't an isolated incident. This is one of many hit "hip-hop" songs popular today.

It drives me crazy to listen to people argue that ebonics is an acceptable dialect. Ebonics of yesteryear (think 60's- 70's) was a dialect because it was a direct reflection of African-American culture in language. This modern day **** is nothing more than an excuse to talk like a ****ing *******.
Ebonics =/= city slang/modern day inner city pronunciation of words. Ebonics was an official language, the way people pronounce a word differently from region to region is regional vernacular, and that is not worth demeaning.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:45 PM #57
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Ebonics was an official language, the way people pronounce a word differently from region to region is regional vernacular, and that is not worth demeaning.
But see, vernacular languages change with overall usage. Current day vernacular of the modern day "hip-hop" culture parallels what I posted, which originally evolved from ebonics.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:49 PM #58
JcKa
post-Hipster

Quote:
But see, vernacular languages change with overall usage. Current day vernacular of the modern day "hip-hop" culture parallels what I posted, which originally evolved from ebonics.
Not exactly. Slang and accents are relative to the city, whereas Ebonics is a universal language (and frankly, Ebonics was only popular in Oakland, where people were only really exposed to it).

Hip Hop is an art form of the inner city, and that's why you have each person using the vernacular of their respective city. Not everyone is using the same slang and the same accent (which, if opposite, would suggest a universal "hip hop" language).

By the way, what are we even talking about?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 AM #59
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:

Watch Me Crank And
Watch Me Roll
Super Soak That Hoe
Watch Me Show
Now Watch Me Gig
And Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman that *****

-Soulja Boy
"Crank Dat"

It seems to me like your main argument centers around the subject of some uses of Ebonics (or what you classify as Ebonics) rather than the language itself. Posting Soulja Boy lyrics says a lot about mainstream rap culture but very little about the language. I don't see anything about Ebonics itself that seeks to marginalize women.

We do what we must, and call it by the best names.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
ipoppedtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 AM #60
Swerve22

Quote:

Your logic is fail.
It's never going to be completely gone in a person to person sense, but as far as laws and rights go, it is gone.

You can't force people to think a certain way, but you can make the laws equal and fair and we have done so. Now it's up to us as Americans to educate each other and with education, ignorance and bigotry lessen. That's not a political issue though, it's a more personal social issue.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 AM #61
shaka zulu
OCMI/A5OG OSF

Quote:

Watch Me Crank And
Watch Me Roll
Super Soak That Hoe
Watch Me Show
Now Watch Me Gig
And Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman That *****,
Superman that *****

-Soulja Boy
"Crank Dat"

1. Ebonics is pathetic. It was a joke then and is so now. There is no officially recognized language of inner city black folk. There is a subculture, and there are folk who speak in a colloquial manner to which many factors have contributed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtammy View Post
It seems to me like your main argument centers around the subject of some uses of Ebonics (or what you classify as Ebonics) rather than the language itself. Posting Soulja Boy lyrics says a lot about mainstream rap culture but very little about the language. I don't see anything about Ebonics itself that seeks to marginalize women.
Truth. Minus the use of Ebonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
It's never going to be completely gone in a person to person sense, but as far as laws and rights go, it is gone.

You can't force people to think a certain way, but you can make the laws equal and fair and we have done so. Now it's up to us as Americans to educate each other and with education, ignorance and bigotry lessen. That's not a political issue though, it's a more personal social issue.
I think there may still be some legal hold outs, but on the surface, most present day laws are pretty fair and equal (of course, not being a lawyer or completely knowledgeable of the law I don't know how well I qualify to make such a statement).
Leave a message and tell us what you think!
Orange County Mobile Infantry
Proudly Supported by:My Wife | SC Village l Tiberius Arms | Tippmann |

Originally Posted by CrazyLittle: Sapiens is a species. NASCAR is a RACE!!!
shaka zulu is offline   Reply With Quote