Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-16-2008, 10:43 PM #1
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Foreign Aid (and Government Aid in General)

He nails the subject pretty well. Giving money privately is the way to do it, and I think the same applies domestically. Church's and charities do much better to help the needy than the government could ever hope for.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2008, 10:55 PM #2
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post

He nails the subject pretty well. Giving money privately is the way to do it, and I think the same applies domestically. Church's and charities do much better to help the needy than the government could ever hope for.
Can't watch the video, with sound, because I'm at the hospital and my newborn daughter is trying to sleep .

However, I agree with your comment on how private charities do a better and more efficient job of providing aide to people who need it.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 PM #3
Oconnore
mmm Frogs

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
Can't watch the video, with sound, because I'm at the hospital and my newborn daughter is trying to sleep .

However, I agree with your comment on how private charities do a better and more efficient job of providing aide to people who need it.
Same, except I am in my dorm, and it is my roommate who is sleeping.

Congratulations on the new baby
Oconnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:30 AM #4
Furious Ge0rge (Banned)

Stossel is such a good guy. Too bad no one listens to him.
Furious Ge0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:55 AM #5
EY3
one love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
thats basicly conservativism. not as good an idea as many think, generally americans dont care much for charity. but i wouldnt trust the government with my money much either.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 AM #6
Swerve22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EY3 View Post
thats basicly conservativism. not as good an idea as many think, generally americans dont care much for charity. but i wouldnt trust the government with my money much either.
I find the bolded highly offensive without some sort of proof or evidence, please supply.

Anyway you're right that this is a basic staple of conservatism. If what you bolded is true, then it's a less valid solution, but I think believe we are a much better people than you portray.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:37 AM #7
Haga652001
Night divides the day

Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
I find the bolded highly offensive without some sort of proof or evidence, please supply.

Anyway you're right that this is a basic staple of conservatism. If what you bolded is true, then it's a less valid solution, but I think believe we are a much better people than you portray.
what he said is spot on. We, as an American People, don't like Charity usually unless there is something in it for us.

you are Mormon though, and the Mormons are known to give a lot to charity. in fact you guys probably give the most outside of Catholics, and Wealthy Liberals.

and I disagree with the Video. sure the private organizations are able to make better use of funds. but the Government is able to give a lot more.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 AM #8
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

The United States is the most generous country in the world, we give more money in charitable donations than anyone else.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM #9
idesofmarch315
PirateoftheSiliconValley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haga652001 View Post
what he said is spot on. We, as an American People, don't like Charity usually unless there is something in it for us.

you are Mormon though, and the Mormons are known to give a lot to charity. in fact you guys probably give the most outside of Catholics, and Wealthy Liberals.

and I disagree with the Video. sure the private organizations are able to make better use of funds. but the Government is able to give a lot more.

http://usinfo.state.gov/ei/Archive/2...11-160471.html
Old 03-17-2008, 02:28 PM #10
Cass
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Its not governments job to give charity. Private organizations do a much much better job of giving where its needed.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:07 PM #11
timmyt (Banned)

Quote:
LOL

What's funny is that I believe John Stossel did a report on how the American Public are the biggest donators to charity in the entire world.
timmyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM #12
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Quote:
Well today conservatism has been dumbed down to shooting bad guys. And the thing about charity is its voluntary. People won't give if they don't think its going to help, thus creating an incentive for the charity to actually do something good.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:52 PM #13
JcKa
post-Hipster

That video is wrong. Numerous books have disproven the "kleptocracy" theory and not only is it ridiculous to suggest that private aid could even begin to match government aid, it's down right silly to even compare the opinion of a Kenyan journalist to that of Jeffrey Sachs, who is one of the most traveled, most seasoned, and most experienced economists in the world.

I'll post more later. Foreign aid must be done through governments and private organizations, however governments are not the problem, it is the organization of international vehicles through which the money travels (or lack thereof).

edit: And the U.S. government does not give that much aid. Hell, a good chunk of the aid we send people is refunded back to us in the form of debt payments.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM #14
Cass
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm not at all against aiding 3rd world countries in need but I think when the United States has nearly a $10 trillion deficit, government charity should be the least of our worries.

Last edited by Cass : 03-17-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:08 PM #15
koolkid
Evolutiondesperatelyneded

Foreign Aid won't cause a fiscal disaster. Medicare and Social Security will.
Dynasty Board
freeflow version 3 bolt w/spool
freeflow trigger
Check it feedneck
Hybrid Bad Guy Wraps
koolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:33 PM #16
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass View Post
I'm not at all against aiding 3rd world countries in need but I think when the United States has nearly a $10 trillion deficit, government charity should be the least of our worries.
bingo. Now is not the time.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 PM #17
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Generally americans dont care much for charity.
I would say I am completely fine with charity. But when you TAKE my money and then GIVE that money to someone else, that's not charity. In fact it strongly resembles theft in my book.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 PM #18
idesofmarch315
PirateoftheSiliconValley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcKa View Post
That video is wrong. Numerous books have disproven the "kleptocracy" theory and not only is it ridiculous to suggest that private aid could even begin to match government aid, it's down right silly to even compare the opinion of a Kenyan journalist to that of Jeffrey Sachs, who is one of the most traveled, most seasoned, and most experienced economists in the world.

I'll post more later. Foreign aid must be done through governments and private organizations, however governments are not the problem, it is the organization of international vehicles through which the money travels (or lack thereof).

edit: And the U.S. government does not give that much aid. Hell, a good chunk of the aid we send people is refunded back to us in the form of debt payments.
What part of "the private sector already far out paces government aid" do you not understand?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 PM #19
JcKa
post-Hipster

Sorry forgot to clarify:

it is ridiculous to suggest that private aid could even begin to match government aid in potential effectiveness and in potential widespread help.

By all means donate your money, however do it through intergovernmental and international organizations after you (yes you, the donator) advocate for structural reform.

No need to get snippy, relax buddy.

One more thing to ponder, the overwhelming majority of "private foreign aid" was remittances, at $47 billion/$71 billion, which, when factored out, makes us about level with the combined governmental ODA & unODA.

Last edited by JcKa : 03-17-2008 at 09:43 PM.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:45 AM #20
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Foreign aid doesn't work because of one fundamental flaw.

It puts power into the government. The modern world was not built by governments. Instead, it was built by bankers and merchants who suddenly ruled economies and sometimes were opressed for their control on power.

Like Stossel said, putting money into kleptocratic governements will not solve the issue. Kleptocracy is strong and true in Africa. If you don't believe so then you clearly have never been or had a talk with people who have been born and grown up in the society.

Sachs and his associates gain from this myth of foreign aid. By rewarding governments he rewards his corporate friends who exploit corrupt governments to get very lucrative contracts on valuable African resources. Look no further then Congo.

Bono is simply blinded by emotion.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I love Impulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 AM #21
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses View Post
It puts power into the government. The modern world was not built by governments. Instead, it was built by bankers and merchants who suddenly ruled economies and sometimes were opressed for their control on power.
I've read so much literature over the past few days that disagrees with that statement.

I posted a thread about this a while ago but here's the link again:
http://www.spiegel.de/international/...363663,00.html
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Adema3412 is offline   Reply With Quote