Strategies for using "Pistols as Primaries"
There's no section dedicated to pistols and since my Core ZX (aka Amrotech Zeus) was my first pistol, I figured this might be a good place to put this topic. Please nominate for sticky if you think it's a good idea. Thanks.
I did decide to go with dual pistols and here's some info for you folks:
First off, don't play with pistols like you would a regular marker. There are clear advantages and disadvantages of using pistol(s) as primaries. Addressing these topics:
TOP 10 STRATEGIES for using pistols as primaries:
1. Be in the front. Since you're limited in ammo/air, this is your best place to be. Do that by sprinting towards the furthest bunker you can as the game begins. Your buddies with regular markers should be behind you. With a pistol or two, you have much less weight to lug around. Use it to your advantage and run up as far as you can. Make sure you got some buddies backing you up.
2. Keep your head up as you dash towards the bunker so you can identify where your opponents are (true whether you're using pistols or not). The less you peak out behind the bunker, the less chance you'll get tagged.
3. Sneak. You don't have a whole lot of ammo so you can't be firing like crazy to keep people down. Every shot should be used to tag someone out. You need the element of surprise. Close range is better because you need the accuracy. You'll have plenty of it with pistols.
4. Bunker. You're going for the bunker, not the lobbing shot. My friend who didn't take pistols too seriously took a hold of my gear for a game and kicked so much butt that the refs were talking about him. He changed his mind about pistols after that game. Can you imagine tagging 5 people out in a single game without the majority of your opponents even knowing you where there? His pistol was basically resting on the opponents back/side as he snuck around. Good job bro!
5. Move around. That's your advantage with a pistol, so use it. With a pistol, you won't have pod harnesses blocking your back. Use your freedom and roll around if you need to. Slide into a bunker from far away and roll closer to it. It's much easier when you have pistols and nothing holding you back.
6. Use your buddies. Paintball's not a one man game....especially with pistols. You need your team to back you up big time.
7. Conserve ammo. This helps you in two ways. a) You don't have much ammo to begin with 2) You won't give away your position by shooting. When those cops say, "Shoot to kill," they're talking to you guys with the pistols.
8. Don't rest the gun tips on the ground. I was tempted to do this and did it numerous times while crouched down behind a bunker. Luckily I didn't get dirt into the barrel, but it can easily happen.
9. Reload before you need to. Just like one of the guys said here on the thread, you should reload before you're completely out of ammo. You need two hands to reload. One hand to hold the marker and the other hand drops the paintballs in the barrel. While you're loading a marker, you're obviously leaving the other one on the ground. Be prepared to drop everything, pick it up quickly and shoot any opponent that sneaks up on you.
10. Continue the list guys! What do you recommend doing as a primary pistol user?