tnttactical
DJ GRAMPS

tnttactical donated to help Peyton Trent
tnttactical supports Team VICIOUS
tnttactical posts videos on PbNation
tnttactical has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
tnttactical is a top reviewer
Clarity on "Runaway Guns"/2008 Rule book

Can someone tell me what exactly a Runaway gun is?

If you have your marker set up at a max ROF of 13 BPS, and is set for ramping lets say to start at a 5 BPS (or whatever) trigger pull. Once you cease the 5 BPS trigger pulls does the marker have to stop shooting right then? Or are a couple more shots acceptable right after the stop of a trigger pull?

It seems to me that once a ramping cycle starts it can not just stop as soon as the trigger stops being pulled there is always a couple more shots to finish the cycle.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
tnttactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2008, 07:34 AM #2
jay-paintballer
J_Money777

when your gun shots by it self
b/c you have you trigger to loose or your debounce setting to low
i got a 20 point penlty for it on sunday
jay-paintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 AM #3
johnswiger
ޡԃ?

has been a member for 10 years
i think your marker is allowed to fire an additional 2-3 balls (which would make up the last trigger pull, being ramping is 3 balls for every pull right?)
Eastern Kentucky Colonels
johnswiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM #4
Atmosfearballer
Ready to Grind

Atmosfearballer plays in the PSP
Atmosfearballer donated to help Peyton Trent
Atmosfearballer plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnttactical View Post
Can someone tell me what exactly a Runaway gun is?

If you have your marker set up at a max ROF of 13 BPS, and is set for ramping lets say to start at a 5 BPS (or whatever) trigger pull. Once you cease the 5 BPS trigger pulls does the marker have to stop shooting right then? Or are a couple more shots acceptable right after the stop of a trigger pull?

It seems to me that once a ramping cycle starts it can not just stop as soon as the trigger stops being pulled there is always a couple more shots to finish the cycle.

Thank you in advance for any answers.
I caught one this past weekend and many before that so therefore I can easily answer your question.

A marker in ramp mode MUST shoot the first 3 trigger pulls in semi only, meaning one trigger pull, one shot. After those first 3 shots, the marker enters ramp mode and CANNOT shoot any more than 3 paintballs per trigger pull, meaning every time you pull the trigger, 3 paintballs will be shot.

The marker I caught this past weekend shot the first 3 in semi fine, but then once it entered ramp mode, it shot randomly, 6-40 balls per trigger pull. It was crazy! Once you pulled the trigger and it started running away, it would shoot 40 balls with your finger not even on the trigger, basically just shooting by itself.

I caught one at World Cup the year before last that unloaded almost a full hopper before it stopped. Could you imagine being bunkered by a marker like that? Runaway markers are very dangerous to the owner and to everyone else on the same playing field.
HATE Squad 2012, 2013, 2014
Atmosfearballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:51 AM #6
Nice Paintballer

Nice Paintballer is a Supporting Member
Typically a run-away gun happens to guns where the owner changes the trigger pull to make it "lighter" or "shorter" where the trigger continues to "bounce" off of the microswitch instead of having enough force to push the trigger back to the starting position, or someone puts in a lighter aftermarket trigger.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:54 AM #7
rlnxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmosfearballer View Post
I caught one this past weekend and many before that so therefore I can easily answer your question.

A marker in ramp mode MUST shoot the first 3 trigger pulls in semi only, meaning one trigger pull, one shot. After those first 3 shots, the marker enters ramp mode and CANNOT shoot any more than 3 paintballs per trigger pull, meaning every time you pull the trigger, 3 paintballs will be shot.

The marker I caught this past weekend shot the first 3 in semi fine, but then once it entered ramp mode, it shot randomly, 6-40 balls per trigger pull. It was crazy! Once you pulled the trigger and it started running away, it would shoot 40 balls with your finger not even on the trigger, basically just shooting by itself.

I caught one at World Cup the year before last that unloaded almost a full hopper before it stopped. Could you imagine being bunkered by a marker like that? Runaway markers are very dangerous to the owner and to everyone else on the same playing field.
yeah i think this is the same guy that pulled me for my russian legion shocker at 2 different events. i think they made the new rule just for me! so if it is you and you helped put this rule in effect, thank you.
rlnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:11 AM #8
Atmosfearballer
Ready to Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnxt View Post
yeah i think this is the same guy that pulled me for my russian legion shocker at 2 different events. i think they made the new rule just for me! so if it is you and you helped put this rule in effect, thank you.
Lol. The runaway marker rule has always been in effect since the beginning of CFOA paintball. I honestly can't remember what team or marker it was I caught, but I caught one nonetheless. Even if it wasn't you, please get it fixed so it doesn't happen to you again! We don't like to give out penalty points or suspensions and severely handicap teams, but we will do so when it jeopardizes the safety and integrity of the game. We would much rather the games be decided by the two opposing teams, and have no part in dictating the outcome.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:32 AM #9
wickedgrim13
dannyhill1311@gmail.com

a run away gun is a gun that continues to shoot without the trigger being pulled be it was messed with though the settings or mechanically . The debounce or dwell could be to low the spring has been tooken out or cut to short and the trigger adjusted too close to the micro switch and when the trigger is pulled the micro switch sticks and not fully returns to its original setting . So when you have one of these combos you get a run away gun . Charles is correct a legal gun is three one shot pulls followed on the fourth pull 13 bps ramp and is legal as long as the trigger is being pulled once you let go then the gun has to cease firing . We do allow the gun to continue firing as long as no more then 2 or three come out but this is to warn all the smart***es that will probably try to push the grey area all my refs look for these things and will run through the tests to catch ya and the proper penalties will be applied for those caught . the guns we caught this weekend were beyond 2 or 3 shots the one i nabed the player was shot and pulled into the bunker gun in the air and the gun kept shooting and he had to hold the trigger to get it to cease fire . Any player who becomes aware of there gun can bring it to a judges attention without penalty and hand it over to a judge until after the match and for all the grey area pushers if you know your gun is crazy and you continue to play until you see a ref moving in then you let him know to late expect the penalties for being stupid . The big issue on a run away gun is safety and will always be the case because not only do you have a gun that is out of control you now put alot of people in trouble for injury if it cant be brought under control
Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 AM #10
rlnxt

Quote:
Lol. The runaway marker rule has always been in effect since the beginning of CFOA paintball. I honestly can't remember what team or marker it was I caught, but I caught one nonetheless. Even if it wasn't you, please get it fixed so it doesn't happen to you again! We don't like to give out penalty points or suspensions and severely handicap teams, but we will do so when it jeopardizes the safety and integrity of the game. We would much rather the games be decided by the two opposing teams, and have no part in dictating the outcome.
it was last year but they were saying something this year at dso about a new rule where if your gun goes crazythen you can shut it off and give it to a ref and they wont give a penalty. this is the rule i was talking about.
rlnxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 AM #11
wickedgrim13
dannyhill1311@gmail.com

yes if you come on the field to play and your gun is all of a sudden running with a mind of its own you can surrender your gun and recieve no penalty for the marker being demonic and wanting to destroy everyone it sees but at the same time I want everyone to understand that this rule is in play and saves you from persicusion as long as you surrender your marker as soon as you become aware of the gun malfunction and not when you see the ref making his way over for a closer look .
Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 AM #12
XKE

Annual Supporting Member
XKE plays in the APPA D1 division
So, can we surrender our marker and not be eliminated? If I hand the death marker over to a ref, can I still play without a marker? Or, if i want to keep playing but know the markers trying to kill people, should I just turn it off and continue play without shooting.
XKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:19 AM #13
Atmosfearballer
Ready to Grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKE View Post
So, can we surrender our marker and not be eliminated? If I hand the death marker over to a ref, can I still play without a marker? Or, if i want to keep playing but know the markers trying to kill people, should I just turn it off and continue play without shooting.
You should be eliminated. Especially if the ref has the marker and you run down the field out of the 5 foot range of your equipment.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 AM #14
wickedgrim13
dannyhill1311@gmail.com

in the rules it states rule 4.25. h- a marker that is thought to be malfunctioning for a player can be brought to the attention of a judge so that the marker may be safely handled by whatever means the judge feels necessary so as not to cause the player or players any harm . This allows the player to still be considered active ( alive ) in the game and not incur any penalties . So your ? is if you let a judge know that you have an issue with your gun and do everything possible to keep the gun from firing ( cutting it off and being a voice only player ) during the game you will still be alive at the end of the match . If you give up your gun to a judge for safety reasons then you would have to stay within 5 feet of that marker or the judge till the end and follow the judges instructions . Normally if the marker is tooken you are illeminated and must exit to the dead box . I will confir with Jason and Scub on this and we will address it and have this at the next cfoa ref and captains meeting if we dont have it addressed on here so this should answer any ? s on this matter .
Old 02-28-2008, 02:32 PM #15
LASTCALLL (Banned)
CFOA RECORD HOLDER

LASTCALLL owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Im a runaway gun.
LASTCALLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 PM #16
ipaintball4life
Broken

yea the ref on sunday, at dso caught my gun as "runaway" but thats only cause on field 2 it was really bad with water puddles and when i slid to my bunker my ego went through the water and water got all into the technical areas....but i didnt get any pentaltys for it..but i got it fixed before the next game and he let me play with it.
Mike witty #11
Team Bro-ken
White/red ego7
Are you AGG?
R.I.P A.D.
DP//Evil

ipaintball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:01 PM #17
wickedgrim13
dannyhill1311@gmail.com

very true Chris and i dont think their are enough penalty points we could hand to your team to cause a discontinue of using you so Ill keep toastin the beers and looking at your ladies atleast thats worth keeping you around bro
Old 02-28-2008, 05:12 PM #18
Brodum
Cosa Nostra

Brodum plays in the PSP
Brodum plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:

lol my friend had a dragon that would shoot til it ran out of paint it was so funny
Brodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:27 PM #19
Nematurkey13
Thunder Cat

Nematurkey13 plays in the APPA D4 division
Nematurkey13 supports DLX Technology
at cup we had 6 total guns go down so i pretty much got on the field shot my gun and ran back for another one almost every point, and one point i picked up a dynasty nxt with ccm frame. Turned it on and had like 10 seconds b4 the point started, shot it one time and it shot 2 times and i didnt think anything about it. Off the break i dove into the dorito side aztec and dropped the gun and as it slid out into a lane it continously shot 15 bps into the ground and didnt stop really untill the end of the game because i picked it up and just never stopped shooting. Luckly i didnt get pulled for it but that gun ran away needless to say i didnt shoot it anymore. just thought i would share my little story lol
Nematurkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 AM #20
jace72
cfoa ref coordinator/psp

ok as stated by two of my other refs they have pretty much given the answer to this question but i will state it once again.once you have released the trigger your marker should stop firing if we as refs get 1 or 2 extra balls off your marker do big deal if we get more than that then you have a runaway gun and you will draw the penalty,as stated at any time you may hand your marker to a judge and not draw the penalty but you will then be called out as charles said the 5 ft rule.if you are caught turning your marker off or pressing buttons as in rule 8.67 with out a judges permission you will be assessed a 1for1 penalty so i would say hand your marker to a judge and exit the field i would do that before i took a chance of getting a major points penalty.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:47 PM #21
b24shawn

not so much about a runaway gun but more about the 5ft. rule. at dso I shot my insert out of my freak somehow and would have got pulled as I bumped up except I got pulled for a teamate playing on, I didn't even know I shot the insert out til a ref came and handed it to me after the game
b24shawn is offline   Reply With Quote