Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 02-14-2008, 03:20 PM #43
micro_boi
DAMN YOU !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenStreetElite01 View Post
Zuh?

Micro boi, Naughty Dogs aren't empire anymore.
really ? haha **** idk where I've been..where'd they go to ?
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM #44
Karkusss
Stay Alive 215!!!

Woohoo i love this new NPPL vs. PSP thread!!! (best idea to hit the nation yet!)

I personally will agrue (as an xball player) that xball is the future of paintball... it is simply more marketable and more fun to watch (unless Smart Parts runs the event lol).

But the fact that the Canes left the NXL for the NPPL means very little. Joy Division (I will argue that they carry more weight than the Hurricanes) dropped NPPL and will eventually be playing NXL. NPPL was the stage for the reffing massacre that was Commanders Cup 2006 (Dynasty vs. Joy in the Final). NPPL is notorious for bad reffing. NPPL was also the stage for the ridiculous fallout that we once called DC Arsenal.

Now I'm going to keep it fair and bash on XBall a little:

NXL lost what 4+ teams since last season (Trauma, Strange, NE Hurricanes, XSV, i think there's more). PSP is notoriously expensive. THERE'S NO CALI EVENT IN 2008!!! WTF. A lot of players/ would-be-spectators are put off by "ramping" (and it's kinda hard to explain to a non-player).

But the bottom line is:
Both leagues are suffering. We are in a time of economic instability, and the source of income for the paintball industry (young just-starting-to-play players) is not what it used to be and cannot support the pros and other sponsored teams. Could the NE Hurricanes withdrawing from the NXL not have to do with preference for a league, or could it be the sponsors said: "Hey listen, we really don't feel like killing ourselves to send you to NXL this season, maybe we can send you to Cup."

Last edited by Karkusss : 02-14-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Karkusss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:38 PM #45
underdog2987
superhero for hire

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! not again 08 is turning out to be a sad year
Old 02-14-2008, 03:39 PM #46
potta86
Dpb- Brog540

potta86 supports Pev's Paintball
why?!?!?

teams should be quitting nppl!
potta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:41 PM #47
hotboypnoy
Str8-8o8-KiLLa

hotboypnoy posts videos on PbNation
its funny how everybody says the PSP/NXL is better than the NPPL, but yet the pros still choose to drop the NXL and play in the NPPL instead, sort of shows which league is better huh? IMO, xball doesn't show what paintball is about. Paintball is about the players knowledge, skill, field awareness, and team communication; not the sideline coaches. If xball didn't have the sideline coaches, then it would be a badass league, but since they do, playing xball isn't worth it. NPPL FTW.

**Edit**
Don't get me wrong, I forgot to state in my original post; It takes skill and heart to play in both/either the NPPL and PSP. Both leagues contain badass ballers, it's just that you can't really show your skills if you have a sideline coach telling you what to do all the time.

Last edited by hotboypnoy : 02-14-2008 at 03:59 PM.
hotboypnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 PM #48
potta86
Dpb- Brog540

potta86 supports Pev's Paintball
welll said guy above me
but xball is everything you described without the communication
XBALL NO COACHING FTW!
potta86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 PM #49
pimpinsaylor (Banned)
lıɥıu

pimpinsaylor is a Supporting Member
Paintballs simply falling apart, and companies don't have enough money to pay/sponsor players. I think alot of it has to do with you can buy a nice old high end for around $300 that performs just as well as this years model. Lower sales means less money companies have to spend on teams, which ends up resulting in this.
pimpinsaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:23 PM #50
cognomen

has been a member for 10 years
Can't afford it anymore, not even with the economic stimulus package?
cognomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:26 PM #51
e_friccero
―\_(ツ)_/―

Annual Supporting Member
e_friccero is a Paintball photographer
e_friccero is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
e_friccero is Legendary
e_friccero is Boss
e_friccero is attending Decay of Nations VII
there is also the fact that companies will want the teams playing nppl more because nppl is suppose to be televised by fox i believe
e_friccero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:48 PM #52
26-DR-26

Xball Semi.

harsh I know but alot of teams would reconsider their choise.

Amazing Red hot protege!
26-DR-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:55 PM #53
enviousjohn

enviousjohn owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
enviousjohn posts videos on PbNation
enviousjohn is reppin' sidebar 4 life
enviousjohn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not being hot for '08- Hot for '08!
enviousjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM #54
themaxx-captain
-= EZPaintball.com =-

themaxx-captain is a founding member
themaxx-captain supports Cereal Killerz 2
themaxx-captain owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboypnoy View Post
its funny how everybody says the PSP/NXL is better than the NPPL, but yet the pros still choose to drop the NXL and play in the NPPL instead, sort of shows which league is better huh? IMO, xball doesn't show what paintball is about. Paintball is about the players knowledge, skill, field awareness, and team communication; not the sideline coaches. If xball didn't have the sideline coaches, then it would be a badass league, but since they do, playing xball isn't worth it. NPPL FTW.
It's funny that you say that... because I distinctly remember Ollie Lang saying that the NPPL is just a formal practice for the Ironmen... and their sole focus was on the NXL last season. Why? Because he stated it was a league of a real champion... no luck victories from playing a team only once and no bad ref calls to blow a game. So, sponsors my decide where a team plays... but it doesn't mean players prefer that format or perceive it as better.

NPPL is simply cheaper, its really not any more complex than that.
themaxx-captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:23 PM #55
Mr. Short Pants
I show off my shoes.

Annual Supporting Member
Mr. Short Pants plays in the PSP
Mr. Short Pants supports Cereal Killerz 2
I think some teams have just come to the conclusion that it's not worth it to play in the NXL when they know they aren't going to win. It's too expensive to go and loose, especially when you know you aren't going to do well, so when money issues arise it's easier to cut some players and go play the less expensive league. You get to keep your status as a "Pro" player for less cash and you still get to keep big name sponsorships.

Some of these teams just haven't had the success they needed to stay afloat in the NXL. Hurricanes was one of those teams that could go out and beat the other good teams but they could never string enough wins in a row to put togeather a top 4 placement. It's sad to see them go, but it's understandable, they were just kinda donating their money to the prize pool. I think they were more successful in the NPPL anyway.

BTW, it's much harder to win in the NPPL. Even if you're the best team in your division you can still get screwed over by some random occurance and end up out of the top 10. I'm betting you could go to an event and ask the #5 - #15 teams why they aren't aren't in the top 4 and they could give you a solid sob story. Xball is where the best team wins.
Mr. Short Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 PM #56
hotboypnoy
Str8-8o8-KiLLa

hotboypnoy posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx-captain View Post
It's funny that you say that... because I distinctly remember Ollie Lang saying that the NPPL is just a formal practice for the Ironmen... and their sole focus was on the NXL last season. Why? Because he stated it was a league of a real champion... no luck victories from playing a team only once and no bad ref calls to blow a game. So, sponsors my decide where a team plays... but it doesn't mean players prefer that format or perceive it as better.

It's funny how you think that Ollie Lang is the voice for every paintball player out there. I know the NPPL is cheaper, everybody knows that. But 4-5 Teams leaving the NXL compared to 1 Team leaving the NPPL. It's apparent that the problem is something more than money.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:30 PM #57
neweraballer76
40oz Casualty

Annual Supporting Member
Yes there lack in the ability to win. In Xball the better team wins. In 7 man that is not always the case.

Just hit the Eastside of the LBC on a mission trying to find Mr. Warren G.

DIRTLIFE REUNION TOUR - If you got a obscure (and cheap) tournament, we'll ****in be there.
neweraballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:58 PM #58
dm7killer153

well junior wasnt lying about the other teams dropping.

Hurricanes didnt do very good last year
playing as NYX they did bad too 2 years ago...last 2 seasons they've won a total of 10 matches..

NPPL requires a more perfect team to do well, so NPPL is the harder league. the more "any given sunday" league.
you have 8 games in quarters, and you need to win at least 5 just to get to the semis

NPPL has more pro teams/ higher division teams
PSP has more D3 teams/lower division teams because
a) its hard to find a 7 man field
b)hard to get a 7 man roster together, and even harder to get a FULL roster. which means harder to find teams to practice

also, Junior Brown said the other day to run a team in NPPL and NXL, it costs 150k+, and that doesnt even include paint.

Last edited by dm7killer153 : 02-14-2008 at 06:02 PM.
dm7killer153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:07 PM #59
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by x Lastoutlaw X View Post
who said anything about psp? this is nxl dieing.
The PSP and NXL joined forces buddy... They're not completely seperate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboypnoy View Post

**Edit**
Don't get me wrong, I forgot to state in my original post; It takes skill and heart to play in both/either the NPPL and PSP. Both leagues contain badass ballers, it's just that you can't really show your skills if you have a sideline coach telling you what to do all the time.
Coaching adds a new element to the game. You think it's all so easy to go shoot everyone now because you have someone coaching your team? The other team has the same exact advantage. You get into a 50, EVERYONE on the other team knows right away. You go to shoot inside, they know. So, you have to be able to out-smart AND out-gun someone that has all the information on exactly what you're doing, and do that fast enough that their coach can't tell them in time. It leaves very, very little room for error. If you're posted up on some guy in the snake and need to load, you better not let off your gun for a second or look away because someone else is watching you and telling theat snake guy exactly what you're doing and how to shoot you out.

Also, only one, maybe two people on the field are really getting coached at any one time. There's so much noise with the crowd, guns, and pits that it makes it all but impossible to hear what's being said unless the person is talking directly to you. You still have to communicate to the rest of the team what your coach is telling you.

Don't even get me started on field awareness. In 7-man, all you have to do is beat a team one time. Just figure out one or two really good plays and you can win. In X-ball, you play each team a MINIMUM of 5 times in D3, 7 times in D2 and I forget the new matches for D1 and Pro... That means that if you beat a team, they're going to know exactly how you did it and probably how to counter it. On the flipside, if you lose, you better know how to shut that play down. and that's going to happen probably 8-12 times EACH MATCH. You need to know every bunker on the field and how you can use it to either stop a certain play or catch the other team off-guard. I mean yeah, this happens in 7-man if you get scouted, but nowhere near the scale as X-ball. If you don't know the field and how to work it, you're done.

7-man shows more "skill" than X-ball? What skills are these? Snap shooting, playing tight, laning, running through lanes? Laning is easier in X-ball, I'll give you that. It ends there. The field is wider and shorter. That means that the other team has really good angles on you REALLY fast. Usually the 40 doritos can shoot out the snake corner no problem. If you do not play super tight ALL THE TIME in X-ball, you're *** is getting lit up. Snap shooting is obvious, you have a consistent stream of 13 bps you have to out snap. It's harder to make bunkers because of that same reason. A completely consistent stream of 13 balls a second is much harder to run through than someone shooting 15-16 on semi. THe thing with semi is that the ROF flucuates something like 10,16,9,13,11,15,8, etc. A consistant stream is much harder to run through, so you have to show just how skilled you are taking bunkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx-captain View Post

and there's now 12 teams in the Pro/NXL spot... That's not much different from before the PSP D1 split into D1 and Pro and then pro merged with NXL. It's not dying by any means. Like Lane Wright said in a previous post, they're just clearing out the teams that weren't top contenders. (Teams that feel they don't have a legit chance at taking home prize $$$)

Last edited by flarkey25 : 02-14-2008 at 06:10 PM.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:40 PM #60
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbob1088 View Post
Yes, they are still playing NPPL.

Interesting, how everyone says the NPPL is horrible, yet teams are leaving the NXL and staying in the NPPL. I know there is a cost difference between XBall and 7man, but still.
Some teams are. Some teams are also joining the NXL (Impact and Avalanche) and some teams are joining both (Aftermath).

Of the 16 teams that started playing the NXL last year, 5 have stopped playing paintball entirely: Legacy (16th), LTZ (15th), Ultimate (14th), Trauma (13th), Raiders (8th) and Strange (7th), although a lot of those players have moved onto other teams, making them stronger. Hurricanes (12th) are apparently only playing one league next year, and have chosen NPPL, where they finished the season 6th. Seems like a smart move by Hurricanes.

NPPL had one team leave due to poor experience (Joy, 5th) and one that is out of paintball entirely (Image, 9th). Bad Company, LTZ and Rage all got relegated, and A-Team, SD Aftermath, and Bushwackers got promoted. That leaves, last I saw 'officially', two empty spots in NPPL, while NXL apparently turned away a team or two to stay at 12 spots.

As for whether 7-man or XBall is 'better', neither is better, they're just different.

(Except, of course, that XBall is better. )

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:51 PM #61
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
Chris is wrong. Scenario is better.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:40 PM #62
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
You're right, scenario IS better!

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:44 PM #63
UpDawg (Banned)
RAWR I say! RAWR!

UpDawg plays in the USPL
UpDawg plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Some teams are. Some teams are also joining the NXL (Impact and Avalanche) and some teams are joining both (Aftermath).

Of the 16 teams that started playing the NXL last year, 5 have stopped playing paintball entirely: Legacy (16th), LTZ (15th), Ultimate (14th), Trauma (13th), Raiders (8th) and Strange (7th), although a lot of those players have moved onto other teams, making them stronger. Hurricanes (12th) are apparently only playing one league next year, and have chosen NPPL, where they finished the season 6th. Seems like a smart move by Hurricanes.

NPPL had one team leave due to poor experience (Joy, 5th) and one that is out of paintball entirely (Image, 9th). Bad Company, LTZ and Rage all got relegated, and A-Team, SD Aftermath, and Bushwackers got promoted. That leaves, last I saw 'officially', two empty spots in NPPL, while NXL apparently turned away a team or two to stay at 12 spots.

As for whether 7-man or XBall is 'better', neither is better, they're just different.

(Except, of course, that XBall is better. )

- Chris
UpDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.