Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-27-2008, 08:03 PM #1
paintball-dojo

Pay for Managers

There's a million posts on the forum about pays for referees, but what about managers? How does everyone here pay their managers (or themselves)?
paintball-dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:57 PM #2
WhiteRiverPaintball
Indiana's Largest Field

WhiteRiverPaintball is playing at Living Legends V
WhiteRiverPaintball posts videos on PbNation
Pay? I didn't know we were supposed to make enough money to be able to pay ourselves... Did I not get the memo?

As far as manager pay, I've seen it be anywhere from free play and free paint (which is usually an illegal way to compensate) to $50,000+ a year. It depends on the size of the facility, who you want to hire, and how much you can afford to pay.

The formula will be different in different areas of the country due to the cost of living and size of the paintball market.

The main thing you have to look at is what you're going to get for the wage you're paying your manager. You will not get a very skilled or qualified manager at $10 an hour, but I know you will get a damn well skilled manager at $25-30 an hour.
White River Paintball Field is over 100 acres of urban, woodsball and scenario paintball, located in the Indianapolis, Indiana metro area. WRP also features an on-site pro-shop, 10 acre camping area, epic scenario events and over a dozen playing fields including multiple aircraft, two-story towers, multi-acre city, forts, military vehicles, jungle huts, deep woods and more!

Upcoming Scenario Event Schedule:
* Age of Conquest July 11th, 12th & 13th, 2014 *
* Mob Wars - November 7th, 8th & 9th, 2014 *
Join us on Facebook
WhiteRiverPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:30 PM #3
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Like everything else, you get what you pay for. I'm very expensive! Actually I'm not. I know I could be making more working for someone else.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 PM #4
-CheckMate-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRiverPaintball View Post
The main thing you have to look at is what you're going to get for the wage you're paying your manager. You will not get a very skilled or qualified manager at $10 an hour, but I know you will get a damn well skilled manager at $25-30 an hour.
I don't really know if you can say WILL get. MIGHT get is a better word to use there. What are you expecting from that $10 an hour guy vrs. the $25 dollar guy is really up to you. As the owner I strongly suggest you figure out what it is you want from them for that amount of money and spell it out very, Very, VERY Clearly.
-CheckMate- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:33 PM #5
Doug@CousinsP8ntball

I am the manager of a Cousins Paintball Pro-Shop in Englishtown/Marlboro. I had to negotiate what wanted. I will not disclose what I am paid, as it does not really matter. have 19 years in this sport, and the ability to fix many different markers. I have been a referee, as well as a player. I have seen a lot, and done even more. What is the point to all of this??? Simple. You can't expect to make a lot of money in anything if you don't know a lot about what you are applying for. Pay should be based on qualifications and experience. That simple fact should determine what a person gets paid... not who they are, or who they know.
Doug@CousinsP8ntball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:25 PM #6
WhiteRiverPaintball
Indiana's Largest Field

WhiteRiverPaintball is playing at Living Legends V
WhiteRiverPaintball posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by -CheckMate- View Post
I don't really know if you can say WILL get. MIGHT get is a better word to use there. What are you expecting from that $10 an hour guy vrs. the $25 dollar guy is really up to you. As the owner I strongly suggest you figure out what it is you want from them for that amount of money and spell it out very, Very, VERY Clearly.
A well publicized high-paying position will always garner the top prospects in a given field. This is the reason why the best school districts usually pay their teachers the highest salaries - and this is why the best teachers flock to that area.

But, you will also get every person wanting a job in paintball applying for the job so YES, it is important to know what you want in manager and weed that person out.

But if you can't find someone good for $20-$30 an hour as a field manager... There's something else wrong.
White River Paintball Field is over 100 acres of urban, woodsball and scenario paintball, located in the Indianapolis, Indiana metro area. WRP also features an on-site pro-shop, 10 acre camping area, epic scenario events and over a dozen playing fields including multiple aircraft, two-story towers, multi-acre city, forts, military vehicles, jungle huts, deep woods and more!

Upcoming Scenario Event Schedule:
* Age of Conquest July 11th, 12th & 13th, 2014 *
* Mob Wars - November 7th, 8th & 9th, 2014 *
Join us on Facebook
WhiteRiverPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:07 PM #7
dsf928
New England Pride

dsf928 supports Cereal Killerz 2
dsf928 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dsf928 supports Team VICIOUS
dsf928 plays in the APPA D3 division
I'm a field/store manager in MA and was curious to see what other owners were paying their managers. And to be honest I'm at awh ... I'm 19 and extreemly dedicated to my job... Whatever it may be. But I did graduate @ 16 so I've been in the real world for a while now.

My question to you owners is...

Listing below what my tasks as manager is; what is a reasonal pay for myself???

Indoor field by the way, and please keep this in this forum. Not that I'm embarrased. I just want this private.

Cleaning on Mondays and Tuesdays tipically 9-5... Bunkers, rubber flooring with machine... Disposal of balls... Cleaning bathrooms, etc..

Wensdays run and operate the store. Also ref when boss is still arround.

Thursday same

Fridaay same

Saturday same + after "business hours" complete clean of 40,000sqft facility for busy Sunday customers

Sunday run/operate store for half day and then ref for other half...

On top. I created and maintain the web site with updates "on demand" and respond to all incoming e-mails of regular questions/ reservations...

Ohh I forgot to mention that I also play on the aposord team...
and I make $10/hr 40-42 hra a week... Weekends never time and a half... My discounts are paint @ cost+10%+tax... And other purcased items/ equipment @ cost+10%+tax...

What's this deserving of.?? Don't get me wrong I love my job and work at 100% effort all the time.

Tell me what I should be getting...
dsf928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:17 PM #8
KJHawley

Try going to one of the popular career sites on the web with a "salary wizard". Try entering "retail store manager" for your area, & you'll probably get a good idea. I would think you could make about the same or more in most areas of retail management. Of course, you wouldn't be managing a paintball store either.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:23 PM #9
paintball-dojo

I have been thinking that to start off for my store, I would pay the two assistant managers $2,000 salary a month and 2% profit sharing and 1% additional per completion of an additional year(cap @ 5%). They would be required to work indoors and outdoors. They would work approximately 52 hours a week and would have two off days between monday through thursday every week (alternating with the other manager). Their responsibilities would include: training the referees, maintaining a level of professionalism with their team of referees, assigning shifts for referees, reffing, cleanliness of the facility, inventory, work at the cashier and customer assistance.

In addition, we would have another level of management on top of that which would be paid $3000 a month with 4% profit sharing and 2% additional per year (cap @ 10%). They would work similar hours and be responsible for: inventory, advertising, hiring/firing, and the profibility of the store

Profit sharing is a very beautiful thing. It reduces theft from employees. It allows employees to work harder for an incentivized pay. Lastly, it gives management a sense of ownership of the business.

.......and ofcourse, store discounts...

Last edited by paintball-dojo : 02-03-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:42 PM #10
Ionic Moron
Al Gore Raped My Igloo

Ionic Moron helped look for balloons
Ionic Moron owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Ionic Moron supports Team VICIOUS
You'd be looking for young managers then right out of school who are just looking for a job, because 24K - tax/ year isnt alot.
Ionic Moron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:01 PM #11
FTW PAINTBALL

Your total compesation package for all personel should never be more than 24% of your total gross profit. You can figure out how much you can pay in salary form from there. You should have a minimum of 20% return on investment and goal of more like 35%.

Large 300 piece o-ring kits available
FTW PAINTBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM #12
kjbkjb9

kjbkjb9 is playing at Living Legends III
kjbkjb9 is for the Gunfight
kjbkjb9 is for the Gunfight
kjbkjb9 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
who is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf928 View Post
I'm a field/store manager in MA and was curious to see what other owners were paying their managers. And to be honest I'm at awh ... I'm 19 and extreemly dedicated to my job... Whatever it may be. But I did graduate @ 16 so I've been in the real world for a while now.

Indoor field by the way, and please keep this in this forum. Not that I'm embarrased. I just want this private.

Cleaning on Mondays and Tuesdays tipically 9-5... Bunkers, rubber flooring with machine... Disposal of balls... Cleaning bathrooms, etc..

Thursday same

Fridaay same

Saturday same + after "business hours" complete clean of 40,000sqft facility for busy Sunday customers

On top. I created and maintain the web site with updates "on demand" and respond to all incoming e-mails of regular questions/ reservations...

and I make $10/hr 40-42 hra a week... Weekends never time and a half... My discounts are paint @ cost+10%+tax... And other purcased items/ equipment @ cost+10%+tax...

What's this deserving of.?? Don't get me wrong I love my job and work at 100% effort all the time.

d
kjbkjb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 PM #13
paintball-dojo

it really is hard to predict how much business we would be receiving on a monthly basis. There are just too many factors involved in starting a new business. 24% sounds like something that's uniform across most businesses. After thinking about it $2000 a month does seem a bit low with the responsibilties they have. However, there would be multiple managers working on site and there is also profit sharing on top of it. Maybe $2500 seems more reasonable for an assistant manager and $3500 for managers?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:51 PM #14
flexcj5

Well from a managers standpoint the more the better. I ran Reactive Paintball Battlegrounds (field) and our retail store for about 2 years before one of the owners bailed on us. I was making $10 per hour (25hrs per week), 5% over wholesale pricing on gear, guns, and paint and free play. I was in charge of all aspects from advertising to maintenance and customer service. I started our current team from that field too.
flexcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 PM #15
FTW PAINTBALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball-dojo View Post
it really is hard to predict how much business we would be receiving on a monthly basis. There are just too many factors involved in starting a new business. 24% sounds like something that's uniform across most businesses. After thinking about it $2000 a month does seem a bit low with the responsibilties they have. However, there would be multiple managers working on site and there is also profit sharing on top of it. Maybe $2500 seems more reasonable for an assistant manager and $3500 for managers?
How many employees are there? 24% is standard and if you go over you go broke!! What are you going to do? 1-Manager to 25 people "no assistants"!!
And you better have a firm number you have budgeted and will achieve on a monthly basis. Predictions are for Nostradomus. Follow your sales and marketing plan and your business plan and you should do well.

Large 300 piece o-ring kits available
FTW PAINTBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 AM #16
<GHOST>

gg

gggg
<GHOST> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM #17
dsf928
New England Pride

dsf928 supports Cereal Killerz 2
dsf928 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dsf928 supports Team VICIOUS
dsf928 plays in the APPA D3 division
yeah this is "D" from B2W
dsf928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 AM #18
devilmountainsports
NightStalkers

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf928 View Post

Thursday same

Fridaay same

I am not knocking you just listing some simple facts.

You are young and you don't have a lot of experience. When I first started work in my career path years ago I was making 11.20 an hour. At this time I have no college or certifications. 12 years later I am easily making 6 times that amount consulting. I have numerous certifications and an AA degree. On top of the certifications I have 12 years experience in my field. This justifies my pay.

Concentrate on growing your bosses business and prove you deserve more money. Just because person makes $20 an hour doesn't mean you deserve it. Work hard and put your time in. If your field is too small then move to afford a $20 an hour job then you move on to other jobs.

My suggestion is to go to school and finish a degree. If I could do it over again I would have finished a 4 year degree rather than a 2 year degree before entering the work force.

I no longer own DMSPaintball.com. Call the store directly at 925-608-3319 for all your questions.
devilmountainsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM #19
Carnagge

2 year degree at a local college is easy to do. you can do it during the week at night or during the morning during the day. Your boss will understand or should. Also after that you can take online classes at university of phoenix to finish your 4th. While some don't like the idea of an online school or a diploma farm as some refer it to. Its accredited which kaplan isn't, and a 4 year degree still looks better than a 2 year.

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Carnagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM #20
EZ Air

PBDojo,

You honestly think you can support a payroll of $8500 a month in paintball? That alone would cost you $135,000 a year and I really don't know of ANY field or store that has that kind of payroll. At least you won't have to worry about paying out that profit sharing you are talking about. Haha.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:00 PM #21
Carnagge

Two assistant managers for a paintball store... Those number would not make it unless it was an established field.

68/4500 tank
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...2#post64366912
Carnagge is offline   Reply With Quote