PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM #1
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

Pilot Halfback project

Okay, I am halfbacking my pilot and MAY have gone too far, remains to be seen. But here are the pics so far.

What do you think? still need a lot of sanding and such before it is ready for anno, but it's a start.
Omegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:42 PM #2
battlechaser
Señor Member

not bad, how are the measurements from the back of the gun to the front of your cut?

"If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste; use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste..." - Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones
battlechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:43 PM #3
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

3 1/4" to the farthest part...
Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM #4
battlechaser
Señor Member

You're fine, I left about a half an inch before the rearmost oring.

"If you meet me, have some courtesy, have some sympathy, and some taste; use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste..." - Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones
Old 02-04-2008, 09:49 PM #5
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

well I don't have o-rings...ACS delrin bolt, the fact that i didn't leav any of the top tube for the bolt to rest in shouldn't be a problem?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 PM #6
battlechaser
Señor Member

Took some MS paint liberties. I was thinking if you filed an agressive arc to the blue line at the top of your 'spike' it could match the 'fins' you have at the back of the marker. As well, I'd arc the inner section like I've shown with the purple line... then again.. I like spiky/curvy markers..

As for the bolt alignment thing, I haven't had a problem, besides, it's not like the entire bolt is popping out of the gun when it recocks.

Last edited by battlechaser : 02-04-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 PM #7
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

I was thinking something like that, just getting it done with a dremmel isn't the easiest lol. I'm not quite as skilled as Doc it seems lol. but I will give it a shot and see if I can pull it off...
Old 02-04-2008, 10:11 PM #8
battlechaser
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegara View Post
I was thinking something like that, just getting it done with a dremmel isn't the easiest lol. I'm not quite as skilled as Doc it seems lol. but I will give it a shot and see if I can pull it off...
I wouldn't use a dremel for that, just files. A small round on for the hooked part, and a medium arced (semi-circle) one for the arc.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:13 PM #9
DFSniper
10 years and counting!

has been a member for 10 years
DFSniper donated to help Peyton Trent
DFSniper helped look for balloons
take your time. i started to rush mine and it came out a little uneven. you cant really tell, but it bugs me because i know its there.
DFSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:21 PM #10
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

just have to get myself some files then maybe the maintenance guy at work will have the ones I need. I'll keep you all posted as it comes along.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:42 PM #11
OneUp

stop copying my thorns
OneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 PM #12
runninhawk
Screetch

thats pretty sick.. i was thinking of either finding someone to halfback my imagine.. or sending my agressor out to alamo city paintball to have them make it a top cocking gun.. (i would do the work myself but i dont have a dremmel, ive never used one, and i dont think i have the patience..)

My Feedback
runninhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:12 PM #13
TheAznInvazn
550 for Fighters

TheAznInvazn has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Cool.

I did a very simple halfback to my Imagine.

This looks nice though. Good Work!
Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 PM #14
battlechaser
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneUp View Post
stop copying my thorns
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Besides, asid from pointy things, what else can we amuse outself with?

Oh... you're also obligated to get "It's the batwing, *****!" and this guy tattoo'd on the side of it once it's sent for anno.

Last edited by battlechaser : 02-04-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:20 PM #15
Monnster13

Monnster13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Cheap files

If you are interested in buying some cheap files go to harborfreight.com They should have what you are looking for (arched and semi-circle) and it will only cost a couple of bucks ($5-10) for a pack of like four different ones. Hope that helps you out. If you follow One-Up's sketch it should turn out pretty nice.
Monnster13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 AM #16
Doc77
Dremel Master

Looks like a good start to your project! I like battlechaser's idea of adding the spike to your primary cut. Here is pretty much my interpretation of his pic. I rounded off the upper section of the spike, as well as the area behind the feed neck. I think that this will give it a smoother profile.

Also, try and grind down the sides of the body. Make a design on it that will get rid of the stock pilot look (kinda like what I did to make my VS2 not look so much like a VS2). I'll try to think something up and I'll post a pic of what I come up with. Lemme warn you though, I'm not great with photoshop.

What dremel attachments have you been using? To make the spike, I would start by marking your cuts with a sharpie first. Then use the high speed cutting tool that has the ball tip; I found that this was the best tool when trying to make intricate shapes. Once you have the shape that you want, use the drum sander (start with 60 grit) to smooth out the shape of the spike and to make the pointy part pointy. Best advice I can give is this....work slowly. It took me 25+ hours of dremel work to get my halfback the way I wanted it. The time and patience that you put in will reward you in the longrun. One more thing, make sure that you put a slight bevel on the upper tube (advice given to me by Otter). This will ensure that you won't leave any shards that will eat up your bolt.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 AM #17
OneUp

lower tube windows have been done before.

but i don't have spyder with me. it's up to you to determine how far forward the milling can go.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:14 AM #18
Doc77
Dremel Master

Damn OneUp, you are too good at this halfback design $#!+....LOL. Forget what I said Omegara, just do whatever OneUp says. I didn't even know that lower tube windows were possible. I tried to say away from the lower tube, but now that I think about it, I can see why it's possible. Too bad I'm sending my body in for anno already cuz I would love to try and incorporate a window into my halfback. Oh well.....but I think you should go for it Omega

Old 02-05-2008, 01:23 AM #19
OneUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc77 View Post
Damn OneUp, you are too good at this halfback design $#!+....LOL. Forget what I said Omegara, just do whatever OneUp says. I didn't even know that lower tube windows were possible. I tried to say away from the lower tube, but now that I think about it, I can see why it's possible. Too bad I'm sending my body in for anno already cuz I would love to try and incorporate a window into my halfback. Oh well.....but I think you should go for it Omega
spyders used to be bottom tube cocking, where the cocking knob is attached to the striker, not the bolt, so i think windows were made at the very beginning.

I think as long as the window is aft of the striker oring in cocked position he should be fine.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:49 AM #20
Omegara
Resident Old Guy

those are some Awesome ideas, I will give them a shot and keep everyone posted! I just have to figure out how far back the o-ring is in the cocked position so as not to screw it up lol. Thanks for all the ideas and thanks Oneup for the photoshopping...that is a cool skill I wish I had lol.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:49 PM #21
OneUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegara View Post
Thanks for all the ideas and thanks Oneup for the photoshopping...that is a cool skill I wish I had lol.
Hmm. Maybe I can help. Are you trying to say... You Suck at Photoshop? There are currently 5 episodes