Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-27-2008, 01:25 AM #22
Paint Freak 98
Front Lean and Rest

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalm0ther3 View Post
If you believe in a representative democracy like the constitution establishes you should believe that these "whacko" views should at least be represented.
Agreed. He did have some unique views no matter how much anyone disagreed with them. The front runners were picked on day one and the Kucinich's and Dodd's were never heard from.
Paint Freak 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 AM #23
Barnaby Buckwald
Epic Winnar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Where did you copy and paste this OP-ED from, anyway?
I wrote it
"Originally posted by Tacobueno V2: "And yay God said to Abraham, taketh thy herb and with fire consume it, for it is the dankest of dank. Seriously Abe, you gotta try this ****. I'm baked off my *** right now" - Luke 4:20"

Barnaby Buckwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 AM #24
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

Quote:
And the cable news networks have destroyed journalism. There is nothing wrong with an opinionated news show, but there is absolutely nothing in Bill Oreilly's show that can be described as journalism. What facts does he try to bring out?
I'm amazed by people who still don't understand the difference between a reporter and a commentator. O'Reilly is a commentator, that means he gives his opinions and interpretations of news stories. He is, by definition, biased because that's what he does, give his personal, biased opinions. Anyone with a brain knows that when they watch his show. The same is true for Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken or any of the other commentators out there.

In contrast, a news reporter is supposed to at least make some attempt at being objective and reporting the story without bias. In practice, that's not an easy thing, but it is what reporters should attempt to do. So, when Katie Couric or Dan Rather go on the news at night, they're supposed to be as objective as possible. Unfortunately, neither had much success in that department so they are both failures as reporters, in my opinion.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
scumquat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM #25
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1 View Post
I'm amazed by people who still don't understand the difference between a reporter and a commentator. O'Reilly is a commentator, that means he gives his opinions and interpretations of news stories. He is, by definition, biased because that's what he does, give his personal, biased opinions. Anyone with a brain knows that when they watch his show. The same is true for Rush Limbaugh or Al Franken or any of the other commentators out there.

In contrast, a news reporter is supposed to at least make some attempt at being objective and reporting the story without bias. In practice, that's not an easy thing, but it is what reporters should attempt to do. So, when Katie Couric or Dan Rather go on the news at night, they're supposed to be as objective as possible. Unfortunately, neither had much success in that department so they are both failures as reporters, in my opinion.
Are there any news reporters on Fox News? It seems everyone from Neil Cavuto to Shephard Smith gives "his" opinions and interpretations of news stories.

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Animalm0ther3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 PM #26
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Are there any news reporters on Fox News? It seems everyone from Neil Cavuto to Shephard Smith gives "his" opinions and interpretations of news stories.
Same with every other news network. Which is why I get my news from other sources.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:13 PM #27
scumquat1
My friends call me Scum.

Quote:
Sure there are. Brit Hume plays it pretty straight, even though I assume he's a conservative. Chris Wallace is also fairly straight, aksing tough questions of both liberals and conservatives.

As far as Shephard Smith is concerned, I'm not sure what he is (left or right), but he seems like a twit. That's just my personal opinion. I don't see him giving much opinion though.

"Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men." - Ayn Rand.
scumquat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 PM #28
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

Well if you weren't going to look at specific people and look at the channel as a whole, would you still say Fox News's goal is to present facts or to present their spin on a story?

Is there any journalism in this excerpt from non-commentators and supposed news reporters?

"Originally posted by so_FLY: i've heard one beer adds .1 to your BAC, so he had 79 beers?"
Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM #29
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

I remember back in the "Youtube debates" when he said he would provide reparations for slavery. I stopped listening to him after that. His views were like a moldy cherry pie. Good stuff inside and awful things outside.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:17 PM #30
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Well if you weren't going to look at specific people and look at the channel as a whole, would you still say Fox News's goal is to present facts or to present their spin on a story?

Is there any journalism in this excerpt from non-commentators and supposed news reporters?
Yes, unnamed internet blogger > DEA agents.

Give me a break ont he fox news stuff. EVERY NEWS AGENCY DOES THAT BECAUSE IT GETS VIEWERS. Saying Fox it the only one to sensationalize the news stories to grab the attention of people is just reeking of bias and stupidity.

I'd also like to point out the "unamed sources" claim within that little excerpt. Where is this persons little blog about "unnamed whitehouse sources" when a Bush smear story pops up on the other news networks? Give me a break.

Yeah, MJ isn't the most lethal stuff on earth, but when I was in high school, not that long ago mind you so save your old man jokes, people got pot with K, LSD, heroin, etc mixed in. And I'd be pretty pissed to find my neighbors were growing pot, I bet your parents would too.
Jim96SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM #31
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

The "unnamed internet blogger" presented factual evidence. And the thread is about big media in general, I just like to pick on Fox news. That story was a blatant scare story presenting obvious untrue facts and no evidence to back them up. There is NO journalism in that.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:58 PM #32
SynTek
Big Brother With a Smile

SynTek is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scumquat1 View Post
Sure there are. Brit Hume plays it pretty straight, even though I assume he's a conservative. Chris Wallace is also fairly straight, aksing tough questions of both liberals and conservatives.

As far as Shephard Smith is concerned, I'm not sure what he is (left or right), but he seems like a twit. That's just my personal opinion. I don't see him giving much opinion though.
I hate fox news with every fiber of my being. I never realized this until I watched it for 12 hours a day for a year. Fox news generally consists of 1) Stories of dubious news value (Anna Nichole Smith, Lost Hikers, Mine Cave Ins) that have regional importance but are inconsequential from a national standpoint or 2) Comment on stories of dubious news value (Oriely Factor, Red Eye, Hannity and Combes etc). The second part is the one that bugs me the most though - listening to a bunch of people argue about hickers lost in the mountains and critiquing rescue techniques really got on my nerves and it went dowhnhill ever since.

The best news network out there was al-Jazeera English, but it is mostly concerned with asian/african/european issues. CNN international was a close second.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 PM #33
Jim96SC2

Quote:
The "unnamed internet blogger" presented factual evidence. And the thread is about big media in general, I just like to pick on Fox news. That story was a blatant scare story presenting obvious untrue facts and no evidence to back them up. There is NO journalism in that.
Which factual evidence? The scientific testing? Like I said, last time I heard a significant portion of pot is laced with something else. Do you have the exact facts/evidence on the pot those people were going? Did this blogger, no. Like most things people compare X to Y because they look/sound alike. I doubt you, me, or him have a botany/genetics degree to make the call on that anyway.

Scare story, nomore then "Lead in you kids toys could kill them", "what you don't know about X could cause Y" etc. Sensationalized yes, scare.. ehh.

There was journalism in the story, sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:09 AM #34
kowz76
I'm on a boat

kowz76 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim96SC2 View Post
Which factual evidence? The scientific testing? Like I said, last time I heard a significant portion of pot is laced with something else. Do you have the exact facts/evidence on the pot those people were going? Did this blogger, no. Like most things people compare X to Y because they look/sound alike. I doubt you, me, or him have a botany/genetics degree to make the call on that anyway.

Scare story, nomore then "Lead in you kids toys could kill them", "what you don't know about X could cause Y" etc. Sensationalized yes, scare.. ehh.

There was journalism in the story, sorry to burst your bubble.
Use Google. You will find MANY reliable sources that will tell you that you can't kill yourself with just marijuana. Fox News was just spreading their propaganda.

New England Blizzard Proudly sponsored by
Bob Long
Kohn Sports
kowz76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:55 AM #35
Hammersmith
O&A Party Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby Buckwald View Post

He has HR676, Medicare For All, which covers healthcare for every single person inside the US.
Every single person in the US? Does this include illegals? No thanks!

Quote:
He wants reparations for all the descendents of slaves.
Yes slavery was bad, we all admit it. I'm not going to apologize for it and I will protest my tax dollars being used to pay reparations.....my family was still in Ireland why should I pay a dime?

Quote:
He wants to fund an international peace keeping force.
Again, who's going to pay for that? I'm interested in funding our military not some global nanny...

Quote:
He wants to make large corporations pay all of their taxes, not just some. He wants to increase the mandatory mileage on cars.
So we are going to increase taxes on the auto industry, then make them spend a ton of money in R&D to meet federal standards? You know how they are going to make up the hit to their bottom line? Enjoy you're new GM vehicle imported from Thailand! US autoworkers don't need jobs they have government healthcare and welfare now! Whoohoo!

Quote:
He wants to decriminalize marijuana, because drug abuse is a medical problem
Then why not legalize smack too? Oh yeah cause addicts will rape your grandmother for a quarter if it gets them a fix...but it's a medical problem right?

Quote:
He wants to keep jobs in American and out of China. He wants to save the environment. He wants to end our reliance on oil.
How is he going to keep jobs in America? By making big business pay higher taxes? How is he going to end our reliance on oil? All oil? Is he going to make it illegal to drive cars? Enlighten me?

Thank god he dropped out, we'd be doomed if he got elected! He's an idealist like most liberals and on paper his plans sound great but in reality they will not work...that's why he didn't get any coverage.

See media organizations are business's too, they need to appeal to the masses so that they can get a premium price for their advertising time slots. Covering a loon like Kucinich isn't going to get that done.
Atlas Paintball Park
R7
OSK
Hammersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM #36
Jim96SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowz76 View Post
Use Google. You will find MANY reliable sources that will tell you that you can't kill yourself with just marijuana. Fox News was just spreading their propaganda.
Gee, thanks for that update. Again though, do we have the exact data on the pot being grown in this particular place? No.

Is MJ like coke, do a line then get a heart attack an die. Not generally unless laced. Is it good for you, not by a long shot. Does it cause dependency, my personal and professional experience is that over time yes it does.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:26 PM #37
Animalm0ther3
The Stig, [])anny, df04

The active ingredient in Cannabis is THC, and its physically impossible to overdose on it, period, Jim. It can cause dependency, in the same way WoW causes dependency. I've seen many people dependent on it, and saw it lead them to do some pretty bad things. (felonies) Dependency isn't death, and its not grounds for legislation. Is it good for you? Not really. Is it good at what it does? Absolutely. Pain killing without the physical dependency or risk of overdose, and it gives a buzz without any toxic ingredients. So no, its not celery, but its also not rat poison. It does its job well.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:44 PM #38
ColdBlood

...its an old snl cartoon that mysteriously disappeared from reruns
ColdBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 PM #39
WRXpbboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammersmith View Post
Again, who's going to pay for that? I'm interested in funding our military not some global nanny...

Then why not legalize smack too? Oh yeah cause addicts will rape your grandmother for a quarter if it gets them a fix...but it's a medical problem right?

like most liberals and on paper his plans sound great but in reality they will not work...that's why he didn't get any coverage.
look at out army now we are already a "global nanny"

Legalizing weed could save lives so then the bud is regulated and not laced with embalming fluid. Also as said before you can not be addicted to THC, so grandma wonít be raped, donít worry.

and a lot of conservative plans do not work either. That is why we have such high homicide rates, terrible health care ect. or just look at Bush

and the "other" candidates on both sides did not get as much coverage because of money. ever since nineteen seventy something the candidate that has gotten the most money by the June before the year of the election (ex. June of 07) has won their spot in the office, so if that trend continues sadly Clinton will win