Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-13-2008, 11:12 PM #1
TheAznInvazn
550 for Fighters

TheAznInvazn has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Smart Parts EOS Review

Smart Parts EOS Review
This is TheAznInvazn giving you one of my *P.O.S. Reviews!
*Price Over Skirmish-ability

Table of Contents:
Ordering
Factory Specs
First Impressions
Feel
Performance
Externals
Internals
Aftermarket Upgrades
Pros/Cons
Overall

Ordering
So I placed in a special order for my EOS with my local field, Krossfire, and they were able to get me a deal on it. The regular price is about $389.99 at most internet sites, so that’s going to probably be how much you’re going to pay for it. I waited for about three days, and they said that it would be ready by the weekend (for a total of five days). Sure enough, they got me my EOS, and I was very happy with their services and I will gladly do business with them again!

First Impressions
Upon seeing the box, I was wondering how the EOS actually looked in real life. I saw the pictures on the internet, but I just had to see it for myself.
The box, it was covered in a plastic wrap with a red background, a black EOS with red trim, EOS written in the upper middle of the box, Smart Parts to the bottom left corner, and the SP symbol on the bottom right.

I slid the cover off of the box that actually contained the EOS, and I saw my baby through a nice little cutout section with a plastic window.

Flipping up the lid, I found The EOS itself, a Freak Jr. Barrel with a .693 insert, a SP barrel sock, two additional Volume Control Inserts. an Energizer Industrial battery, and some spare macroline, o-rings, and hex keys.

Both the EOS and the Freak Jr. were very shiny, and it’s notable that the Jr. was already assembled, and only came with 1 insert (the one already installed).

On the SP website, it says the EOS comes with a 3-piece barrel, and it has been clarified that the 3-piece barrel is the barrel front, back, and one insert.
So the EOS came with the left side of the grip removed so you could have easy access to install your battery. The screws needed were in the same bag with the Hex keys and such, so no need to worry if you think you’ve lost something. The warranty card and QuickStart Manual were placed under the plastic cradle that all the goodies sit in.
I couldn’t wait any longer; I quickly got the barrel and screwed it in, and scratched it near the base. Needless to say, I wasn’t too happy about that.

Upon further inspection of the breach, I found a slight burr on the inside and that some of the hex screw’s head was sticking up a bit from tightening it (quite normal for hex screws). I filed the burrs down and continued on without a hitch. I gasses up my tank and while attaching it to the gun, I noticed that I didn’t know which way the knob turned to be in the on or off position. FOR FUTURE REFERENCE! Turning counterclockwise is off, and clockwise is on.

Factory Specs
Length/Height/Weight (minus Barrel and ASA): 8.4”/7.9”/2lb 3oz
Operating Pressure: Approx 250-280psi MAX
Paintballs: .68 cal. Compliant with ASTM F1979 Specs
Power Source: 9v Alkaline Battery
Propellant: Anti-Siphoned CO2 or HPA
Firing Modes: Semi, 3-round burst, Ramp, Auto
ROF: Up to 17 bps stock (more with Blackheart)
Operation: Electropneumatic
Anti-Chop System: Break-Beam Infrared Vision
Barrel Thread: Smart Parts (Impulse/Ion)
Lubricant: Any, but SL33K for warranty compliance

Feel
Well, it really does feel nice. The MaxFlo R Vertical Reg has these nice little grooves for your fingers, and it’s very comfy. The grips are a bit chunky, but they aren’t bad. I have small hands though, so the average guy shouldn’t have the same problem. With a DXS 48/45 tank on the ASA, things are really close, but that’s how I like it. The conical bearing mounts are an amazing thing. The trigger has zero side to side slop, and I really mean zero. The trigger pull is also not really heavy, but not feather light either. Removing the magnet should remedy this problem, even though it doesn't bother me.

Performance
So I finally got a game in (a whole day to be precise)! So I started the day off with a trip to the chrony. Since my FREAK inserts are still in the mail, I only had my .693 insert. I got my old dimply left over paint and procedded to test my FPS. I don't remember my exact readings, but at 260 PSI and the green insert, I was getting it all over the place. My low was about 250, and my high was 320. I can contribute that to bad paint to barrel match. After wasting the rest of my paint, I loaded up some Stinger. The paint was more consistant, both in roundness and over the chrony, and it fit better in my insert. I was now getting 270-275 with 220 psi. Not bad for imperfect paint to barrel match.

In actual gaming, the EOS was an amazing performer, and I really didn't notice any kick while playing. I didn't "guess" where my paint was going, and I didn't have a single barrel break or chop. Everything went smoothly untill something horrible happened... I was getting some very inconsistant shooting. It would shoot a bit, then lob, then not shoot, then not even cycle, etc. I was so worried that something horrible had happened to my EOS. Got back to the staging area, and was relieved that after changing the 9v battery, everything was back to normal. While I changed the battery, I also relubed the bolt and such.

Everything was fine and dandy, and I had a very happy rest of the day. No breakdown, no chops, not barrel breaks, no accuracy problems, and no real unfixable problems the whole day. What more can I ask for? I had a perfect day, and I was simply amazed.

Externals
The EOS sports an Aluminum body with a nice and stylish body design and color scheme. As you can see, mine is Black with Red trim, and I think it looks wonderful. The only gripe I have are the grips. They’re an ugly opaque white that is completely hideous, not to mention that they’re not to grippy.

The barrel is Aluminum as well, and the EOS even sports a matching clamping feedneck stock, quite the nice touch in my opinion. The Integrated ” Dovetail and the 10-32 Screw Mounts is another nice thing that SP did. Now your favorite ASA will work without having to get an adaptor!

Internals
What can I say? With the EOS’s Bolt Out Back (BOB) feature, things are much simplified. The only major moving component of the entire gun is the bolt itself, and the bolt, and firing can are easily accessible thanks to the BOB feature. Maintenance and cleaning is now a breeze. Simply get the appropriate hex key to remove the back cap, unscrew it, and push the bolt and firing can out with something soft (like a wooden or plastic stick). It’s really that easy. No more complete takedown to get inside your SP marker, it’s just a back cap away.

The stock Firebolt is nice, minimal kick and nice consistency is always a good thing. Factory lube seems to be sufficient, but I really hate the fact that the only lube that won’t void your warranty is SL33K, I’d much rather use Hater Sauce.
Like most SP guns, the board is capped at a respectable 17 bps, which in my opinion, is fast enough for me. I really don’t need 500 bps and the ability to empty my hopper is 1 second. The board is actually very easy to program, you just push the little white button and the LED color and the pattern it blinks is very easy to follow and understand.

Aftermarket Upgrades
You can get barrels with the SP (Ion/Impulse Threads), clamping feednecks (SP threaded [even though the EOS comes stock with a NoRise Feedneck]), and any board make for the Epiphany will also work in the EOS (to my knowledge), ASA’s, you want it, you can do it. The possibilities are quite endless.

Pros
EOS is badass
ASA Mounts
Conical Trigger Mounts
Clamping Feedneck Stock
Freak Jr. Barrel
Feels Nice
Looks Good
Upgradable out the Wazoo
BOB Feature
Firebolt Stock
Aluminum Body
Light Kick
Volume Control Inserts

Cons
Stock Grips
Burrs in some places
Capped at 17bps (some may say this is a con, I don't think so)
On/Off ASA has no Directions
Full Manual only Online (frequent updates require this)
Only SL33K lube because of Warranty (lube made for SP guns, so it's a good idea to use it)
Came in 3-Round Burst

Overall
A majority of my complaints are minor, and I completely believe that the Pros outweigh the Cons significantly. The EOS is a great gun as a backup, a rec baller, a serious player, or even a top notch pro. I, TheAznInvazn, hereby declare, with the power invested in me, that the Smart Parts EOS is a fantastic POS* marker! Get the EOS and know that you’re getting the best, because with Smart Parts, Equipment Counts!

Last edited by TheAznInvazn : 01-18-2009 at 06:51 PM.
TheAznInvazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 PM #2
joverly

"On the SP website, it says the EOS should come with three inserts, so I’m in the process of emailing them right now."

3 Chamber inserts, not 3 Freak inserts green (installed), blue, and silver
joverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 AM #3
TheAznInvazn
550 for Fighters

Under barrel, it says Freak Jr. (3 piece)
Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 AM #4
joverly

That would be the front section of the barrel, back section, and a single insert. Obviously they could have been clearer
Old 01-14-2008, 08:05 AM #5
TheAznInvazn
550 for Fighters

oh... Dang, that sucks.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:17 AM #6
Dooku
AKA ... Count Scoobith

has been a member for 10 years
Yup Freak Jr's have always been that way. Front, back, 1 insert.

Nice review... I like the pics.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post29959238
Dooku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 AM #7
MAPCoordinator
SP Customer Care

MAPCoordinator is a Supporting Member
MAPCoordinator donated to help Peyton Trent
Great Review!

Hey there,
I just wanted to first say that your review was very thorough and I liked the pictures that went along with it. Next, I wanted to talk about the Freak Jr. Barrel system that came with your marker. Because the Freak Jr. is a two piece barrel it counts as two and the insert would make the third piece of the Freak Jr. Barrel set. You can buy the other inserts separately. The Freak Jr. Barrel back can also take a regular Freak front or an All American front because the two piece barrel systems are interchangeable. As for the burs you speak of, feel free to send the marker to us and we will take of it this for you. I will provide you with more information as to how and where in a PM. I hope you are enjoying your EOS. It is my fav!

Tootles
-Rebecca
Old 01-14-2008, 10:08 AM #8
TheImPgoD
Big Fruit Cup

TheImPgoD is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Some parts of your review were "eh.. do you really need to mention that?" bits, but it is thorough review nonetheless.
______
___

RAINBOW<3
TheImPgoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 AM #9
Sean@smartpartswest
Living Legends May 18-20!

Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends III
Sean@smartpartswest is playing at Living Legends V
Great Review. You did a fantastic job for your first time and I look forward to more info added after you play. I will address your Cons as well, so when people read this, they understand why.

CONS
Stock Grips
Burrs in some places - Rebecca (MAPCoordinator) already addressed this
No additional Freak Inserts (?) - Rebecca (MAPCoordinator) already addressed this
Capped at 17bps (some may say this is a con) - Some may say as well. I will agree with you. But in real life at a paintball field, you really will not fire faster than that anyways.
On/Off ASA has no Directions - I too have complained about this. The Micro Max Flows have a sticker for direction of off and on. I am still trying to get them over to the ASA's as well.
Full Manual only Online - There is a reason for this. The manual gets updated fequently due to part number changes, some thing we forgot.. etc. So, by doing it online, we can change it easily, then having to wait to go through the stock we have.
Only SL33K lube because of Warranty - All of our guns are designed around this lube. Many other lubes will damage the orings, or make the gun perform worse. That is why it voids the warranty. Plus, I have seen people lube their guns with WD40, Loctite (yes.. it was green. And it took me half a day to get the gunn apart with a torch), KY, etc etc
Came in 3-Round Burst - Weird. I thought they came in rebound at 10bps stock. Strange that yours was in 3 round. Maybe it got changed by accident.

smart.corps.sean@gmail.com

www.cpxsports.com
www.livinglegendsofpaintball.com
Sean@smartpartswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM #10
MindBreakN

MindBreakN plays in the APPA D5 division
Thumbs up

Sean,
Just an FYI - I picked up my EOS a couple months ago. When I opened the gun to ensure it was lubed and check it over before the first game, I found that there was no insert in the fire chamber. I only received two of the three volume inserts. I also noticed that the machining around the cutouts was "poor". By the look of it I would guess that someone "touched it up" (maybe removed a burr) and got a little carried away with the file. The plating filled in most of the scratches marks.
I called the store I purchased it from and they said to return the gun or call SP. Since I was scheduled to play a game the next morning I kept the gun and ran with it. I called SP Customer Service the next business day, they were very polite, easy to work with and quickly sent me out a new insert. As for the scratches..... well there on the tappered edge of the cutouts so there not easily seen unless you look closely. I have to admit that since I was the first EOS in the group everyone scoped it out and a few people noticed. I would recommend a tightening up (or clarifying) your specs with your supplier and Incoming Inspection personnel.

I have used the gun on three outings, 4-6 hours of play each time, and the gun has performed great.

Pros
Good consistency
Little kick
Experienced no drop at high fire rates
Very easy to clean and re-lube (highly recommend the SL33K, I use it on all my guns)
Sharp looking - love the contours and plating/colors
Freak Jr. barrel
Good feel
Clamping feed neck
No side to side trigger slop
No immediate need for upgrades (except for minor cons below)

Cons
The barrel insert provided is as useful as a football bat (WAY to big)
The on/off isn't marked - would like to see it engraved
Minimal Epiphany upgrades available, therefore not sure what will be available for the EOS in the future or when they will be available

Overall a great gun out of the box. I would highly recommend.
Great job Smart Parts!
MindBreakN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 PM #11
TheAznInvazn
550 for Fighters

Thanks for all the feedback! I edited the review some to incorperate the new things I learned from the SP people (thanks Ms. Rebecca and Sean)!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:54 AM #12
sawblade6

Annual Supporting Member
sawblade6 plays in the APPA D4 division
sawblade6 supports DLX Technology
is this a BOB???
Shooting DLX, Spire, Grillz, Ninja
Pump Changed My Life...
sawblade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:29 AM #13
Sean@smartpartswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawblade6 View Post
is this a BOB???
Yes it is.

www.cpxsports.com
Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 PM #14
URBANxFLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawblade6 View Post
is this a BOB???
where have u been?
URBANxFLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:13 PM #15
FyrFytr
EMT-B

FyrFytr is a Supporting Member
Very nice review.....I just picked mine up today, I happened to see it on the wall of my shop and said, "that's mine" lol....I am glad I saw this review, it puts alot of questions I had to bed.

FyrFytr's feedback
If we do meet again, we'll smile indeed; If not, 'tis true this parting was well made.
-William Shakespeare
German
Paintballer
For Life
FyrFytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:58 PM #16
TheAznInvazn
550 for Fighters

Yay! Thanks for that!

I still haven't gotten to get out and play yet, but I can say that for a spool like valve design, the efficiency isn't to shabby at all! with a 48/4500 tank with only 3500 psi left in the tank, I got about 840 shots with dropoff only occuring with the last 20 or so paintballs!

And thanks to Ms. Rebecca for the stickers!!! I love them SO MUCH!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 AM #17
MAPCoordinator
SP Customer Care

MAPCoordinator is a Supporting Member
MAPCoordinator donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAznInvazn View Post
Yay! Thanks for that!

I still haven't gotten to get out and play yet, but I can say that for a spool like valve design, the efficiency isn't to shabby at all! with a 48/4500 tank with only 3500 psi left in the tank, I got about 840 shots with dropoff only occuring with the last 20 or so paintballs!

And thanks to Ms. Rebecca for the stickers!!! I love them SO MUCH!!!
You're welcome! "Stickers are the gateway to happiness!" Hehe!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:03 AM #18
Sean@smartpartswest

I want some free stickers!

www.cpxsports.com
Old 01-23-2008, 09:55 AM #19
joverly

Sean - Can you give us any idea on future parts for the EOS that may be coming down the pipe? Such as new bodies, upgrades, o-ring kits.. and when you think they may be coming out. Hopefully you are selling a boat load of these EOS markers, so after-market will jump on the band wagon as well.

Also are you working on any new boards, or is the blackheart it for now?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM #20
Sean@smartpartswest

Blackheart and a Tadao. Tadao will be available shortly. And yes, the EOS is selling really well. I think we really hit the mark on this gun. Great features, great performance, and looks amazing. I know the oring kit will be available soon as well. I do not know of anything else... because to be honest... Nothing to upgrade besides a board.

www.cpxsports.com
Old 01-23-2008, 11:28 AM #21
joverly

Tadao with a OLED screen and grips would be sweet (might as well dream big), we will see what happens.. I will impatiently wait . Thanks

Last edited by joverly : 01-23-2008 at 04:26 PM.