PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-20-2008, 09:55 PM #1
ebk06
Texans punch babies 4 fun

Gang Leader for a Day

Im only about two chapters into this book but......WOW. Read the description and if it sounds somewhat interesting the actual book is 100 times better. If anyone has read this I'd love to hear opinions.........it amazes me that within our own cities you can find another world.

"The story of the young sociologist who studied a Chicago crack-dealing gang from the inside captured the world's attention when it was first described in Freakonomics. Gang Leader for a Day is the fascinating full story of how Sudhir Venkatesh managed to gain entrance into the gang, what he learned, and how his method revolutionized the academic establishment.

When Venkatesh walked into an abandoned building in one of Chicago's most notorious housing projects, he was looking for people to take a multiple-choice survey on urban poverty. A first-year grad student hoping to impress his professors with his boldness, he never imagined that as a result of the assignment he would befriend a gang leader named JT and spend the better part of a decade inside the projects under JT's protection, documenting what he saw there.

Over the next seven years, Venkatesh got to know the neighborhood dealers, crackheads, squatters, prostitutes, pimps, activists, cops, organizers, and officials. From his privileged position of unprecedented access, he observed JT and the rest of the gang as they operated their crack-selling business, conducted PR within their community, and rose up or fell within the ranks of the gang's complex organizational structure.

In Hollywood-speak, Gang Leader for a Day is The Wire meets Harvard University. It's a brazen, page turning, and fundamentally honest view into the morally ambiguous, highly intricate, often corrupt struggle to survive in what is tantamount to an urban war zone. It is also the story of a complicated friendship between Sudhir and JT-two young and ambitious men a universe apart."

"Originally posted by cashmoney87: i ****ing love naked girls eating ****."
ebk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2008, 10:51 PM #2
stupidmandan

Wow, sounds really interesting. May have to pick it up.
stupidmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:12 PM #3
pimpWITHaLIMP
You know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidmandan View Post
Wow, sounds really interesting. May have to pick it up.
Seconded...
Do you love electronic music but can't tell the difference between genres? Do you wake up every morning only to say, ****, I can't figure out what techno is? Click Here to end all your troubles! Only one simple click away! Great service! No charge!

#5 member, Chad Johnson Fan Club
pimpWITHaLIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 PM #4
Nsanepig11
سيخ

has been a member for 10 years
hmmm sounds pretty cool.
12-28-05 Carl Richie Valentine lll will live forever within' our hearts
Electronic Music Discussion Thread
Feedback:http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=864214
Nsanepig11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 AM #5
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

War and drugs are the books I find most interesting. I want to read that.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:07 AM #6
jujicakes
Cupcake Couture

The chapter in Freakonomics was really good, I might have to get this book now too.

I like cupcakes.
"Originally posted by Bobman7: **** you. You're never too old for cupcakes."

jujicakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM #7
hateyou
Why do you wanna?????

has been a member for 10 years
hateyou plays in the PSP
hateyou plays in the APPA D4 division
My neighborhood, as well as myself, was chronicled by a sociologist for a book called "Gang Girls and the boys they know" I was unfortunately named as being involved in a walk-by shooting here in KC. Sucks I was on the receiving end of an SKS, but I'm fast as hell and ducked and dodged. The girl the ethnography centers on took like 10. She lived lol. I am still down with my neighborhood, but am a full time college student. Traded crack hustle for a paper hustle lol. I'll check this book out, as KC is no where near Chicago as far as gang violence, although I can attest that it gets pretty bad where I'm from here EASTSIDE........
hateyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM #8
x KCR1M3Z x
i play for fun

reppin KCK.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS.
x KCR1M3Z x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 PM #9
ebk06
Texans punch babies 4 fun

This has definitely been a very intriguing book. Rarely do I find books that interest me but when I do they tend to be great, IMO. Im honestly not much of a book worm but Ive found it very hard to put this book down. I hope all of you find it as intersting and fascinating as me.

"Originally posted by cashmoney87: i ****ing love naked girls eating ****."
ebk06 is offline   Reply With Quote