Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-03-2008, 04:11 PM #1
BeerSkunk

EOS Review

I've been playing paintball for almost 14 years and this is my first electro-pneumatic marker. My first marker was a VM-68 which I replaced a couple of years later with a 68 Automag. My mag has been a great marker, and I have further Pneu-mag surgery planned for her in a few weeks, but this year I looked at how cheap the electro-pneumatics had gotten and decided it was time to pick one up.

I'm usually not one to pick up the first model of any new product, whether it's cars, electronics, or paintball markers, but I made an exception this time with my EOS. I spent several weeks looking at what was available in the price range and decided the EOS, backed by Smart Parts renowned customer service, was the best value for the money. I purchased my EOS just before the new year at a local paintball store (gotta support the local stores) along with a new DXS 48/4500 "Stubby" tank with Proto Tank Cover, a CP Razor Drop, CP Pro Mini On/Off ASA, and Dye Sticky 3 Grips.

First Impressions

The marker looks great. The milling is stylish with sleek eye-catching lines, and the liquid carbon anodizing matches perfectly with the black trim. The marker has a nice, low profile, though too long for my taste with the barrel and tank attached to the stock ASA making it feel like I was holding the marker at arms length rather than in tight to my body. That isn't a negative comment, it's simply a matter of personal opinion and something I had already planned to address with the CP drop.

Next I easily aired up the marker with stock On/Off ASA and checked for leaks in the air system. Everything was perfect. There were no leaks and the guage on the LPR was holding steady at ~235. I turned the marker on by pressing the power button located on the side of the grip frame and lifted the marker up to dry fire it a few times. Hmm..nothing. I checked everything over again. The air was on, the marker was powered up with a fresh battery, but no joy. I stripped everything down, removed the tank, re-attached it all again, aired up the marker, powered it on and still nothing! %*#$@! I set the marker down and glared menacingly at this stupid power button blinking blissfully once every second or so. I swear I could hear it taunting me with every pulse of red, glorious light seeming to say, "Heeheehee. Wouldn't you love to play with me?" I sat for a moment contemplating methods for marker-cide...death by acid...death by dremel...death by asphyxiation, wait, no, that wouldn't work. My eyes narrowed to slits as I stared again at that single...pulsing...light. Hmmm. My thoughts cleared as a grabbed up the marker, tapped the power button again which responded with double pulsing lights indicating the Vision anti-chop eyes were disengaged, and fired the marker. Victory! Well, at least I know the eyes work.

The marker fired problem free and went through a hopper of paint without any breaks. The trigger feels awkard to me though and has a clanky quality to it when you pull it. I've adjusted the length of the trigger pull, but it still doesn't feel right. Perhaps that's something I'll have to get used to coming from years of using an all mechanical marker. My experience with electronic markers is nil, so my trigger comment is really just my personal opinion and not a judgement on its quality. I've heard from others with more experience using electro's that are quite pleased with the stock trigger.

Imperfections

After a few dry fire shots, I set the marker down, degassed it, and removed the tank. This is where I started to notice a few things that concerned me. The first negative thing I found was that the stock grips were hard as a rock and very slick. While they did provide easy access to the grip internals for replacing the battery and programming the board, they offered nothing in the way of a comfortable or secure hold on the marker.

The second negative, and one that was more concerning to me, was the stock ASA had decided to make a light snack of my tank threads. This was a brand new tank and the top thread that first grips the ASA was a bit dented and chewed on. The last 1/4" inch or so of the tank thread near the end of the threads had been completely broken off! Now whether or not this is an issue with the ASA or tank I don't know, so I can't put the blame on SP for this one, but I did want to mention it. Nothing needs to be repaired thankfully, and the tank screws in fully to the CP ASA without a hitch, so I don't think I'll have to replace anything.

The third negative is the stock ASA didn't fit onto the CP dovetail mounting at all. Perhaps I wrongly assumed that dovetail mountings were fairly standard, but I had to go back to the paintball store and purchase the CP Pro Mini On/Off ASA which not surprisingly slipped right into place. Ultimately it's probably best to match aftermarket add-ons, but it wasn't something I was expecting to be forced to do. Again, this may just be standard fair for the industry, but I was disappointed at the additional expense for something I expected to 'just work'.

My last negative is that I've noted a small blemish on the body of the marker where the anodizing or something has started to flake or chip off. It's small right now, a little less than the size of a pencil eraser head, but it's definitely there and rough to the touch. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it grows.

Final Thoughts

I still haven't had a chance to get the marker out to the field yet, but I've been through several hoppers of paint without any problems and really like the feel of the setup. The marker is light, has a tight setup, and is very easy to strip down for cleaning and maintenance with the bolt-out-back (BOB). I'm still messing around with bolt inserts and board settings to get a better feel for the marker. A day of play will be the ultimate test though, and I'm eagerly looking forward to getting a chance to take the EOS for a real test-drive. So far I'm very pleased with it and feel my money was well spent. I'll post back here with an update after I get some play time in.

Enjoy the pics!

BeerSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:59 PM #2
Carcajou

well written review. this marker is identical to mine minus the CP drop & asa. s i thought i'd toss my thoights up on this one as the images of mine are only gonna differ in quality. my markers i have are just simpley a mech 2k4 'cocker bought it brand new in 2k4 and finally found out about the nation when i purchased my EOS.

i've noticed the small flake in the finish on the outside of my liquid carbon, through playing with it and taking a few shots to the gun its not growing (on my specific gun i'll try and get a pic) i'm not concerned about it seeing as a scuffed the ano off the tip of my barrel first day playing against a bunker (it was sandy at the feild and we just deflate the bunkers so sand sticks to em.

the length for me is fine i find as i never bought a drop for the cocker i just got used to playing with a long reach, being over 6 foot and having an arm thats just shy of 3 feet (4 inches) the fit is quite comfortable, and i acutally found myself sliding the rail farther back on the grip

the ttigger, such a series of good/bad first of all chillin at the house praticing walking while doing nothing else its loud and clacky a nylon set screw instead of the metal one provided should do the trick of solving that small complaint on my part. when the gun is gassed up with paint i can;t hear the clack of the trigger so meh who cares. its tight, no side to side wobble at all. i've got a slightly longer trigger pull on my EOS just cause i used to play mech with a double trigger and liked the feel of the slitly longer pull, am also able to sweet spot it when walking the trigger to help get my rate of fire up.

my biggest neative on the wole gun is the outer reg sleeve. smart partrs built a great regulator but bunged it up by putting a low quality faster as a set screw to hold the sleeve from rotating around the assembly, thats pretty muc my only long term complaint about the marker. most of my earlier concerns were dealt with professionally and in a very timely manner for all the flak that smart parts get.

All in all i would say this is an excellent step into the world of electro pneumatics
And Shepherd's we shall be for thee my Lord for thee; Power hath descended forth from thy hands; That our feet may swiftly carry out thy commands; So we shall flow a river forth to thee, And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti......
Carcajou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM #3
Dooku
AKA ... Count Scoobith

has been a member for 10 years
Very nice... both of you guys....
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post29959238
Dooku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 PM #4
LTU-013

I also noticed just few small blemishes in liquid finish after few days of use, but after every game they are bigger and bigger

It looks like EOS has some protective coat of polyurethane or something like that on top of anodizing and looks like painball fill eats that protective coat

I found few new spots, when I removed grips, because some amount of paint was between grips and the frame for a few days and it damaged protective coat

Looks like it will be the problem for a lot of EOS owners in the future

I'm planning to bring my EOS back to the store and see what is possible to do, can they replace that or I have to send directly to SP

Does anybody else have same problem?
Did you talk to SP or your local PB store?

Thanks
LTU-013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM #5
serafin_X
the Lumberjack

serafin_X is playing at Living Legends VII
serafin_X is an NCPA player
serafin_X supports DLX Technology
Any one know if the black finish has any issues like the liquid carbon? That's a shame that if gets those blemishes, I love how the EOS looks.

I also find it strange that the SP on/off doesn't fit on the CP drops. I attempted to do the same set up with an Impulse of mine. In the long run, you'll be happier with the CP on/off, I find it much easier to take tanks off with and it allows the gun to bleed out the air left in the system, making it easier as well.

Looks great with the new grips.
serafin_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:10 PM #6
MAPCoordinator
SP Customer Care

MAPCoordinator is a Supporting Member
MAPCoordinator donated to help Peyton Trent
Hey guys,
Rebecca here, from Smart Parts, Inc. Per my conversation with BeerSkunk and this thread, I've decide to post. I've only heard of this happening once before, but if anyone else is having this problem, please contact me using any of the contact methods below. I will help you solve the problem. I personally love the new EOS. Right before we left fore World Cup in Orlando Fl is the first time I put my hands on one and I was super impressed. Needless to say, I don't think I put the EOS down the entire week I was down there; Sean can vouche for that. Great review, BeerSkunk!, but I love the trigger, so I have to disagree with you on that one. I think the clink gives me the satisfaction that I am actually pulling a decent trigger, but that it just me.

HAve a great weekend, all!

Tootles
-Rebecca
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM #7
URBANxFLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPCoordinator View Post
Hey guys,
Rebecca here, from Smart Parts, Inc. Per my conversation with BeerSkunk and this thread, I've decide to post. I've only heard of this happening once before, but if anyone else is having this problem, please contact me using any of the contact methods below. I will help you solve the problem. I personally love the new EOS. Right before we left fore World Cup in Orlando Fl is the first time I put my hands on one and I was super impressed. Needless to say, I don't think I put the EOS down the entire week I was down there; Sean can vouche for that. Great review, BeerSkunk!, but I love the trigger, so I have to disagree with you on that one. I think the clink gives me the satisfaction that I am actually pulling a decent trigger, but that it just me.

HAve a great weekend, all!

Tootles
-Rebecca
are you referring to the blemishes on the finish or the asa?...both are a problem for me the blemishes dont effect anything besides the visul apperence though the surface is still mainly smooth but the asa is real tight and it eats up my orings my friend has the same problem
URBANxFLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:25 PM #8
straptrams91
PRESIDENT

Annual Supporting Member
straptrams91 plays in the PSP
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends V
straptrams91 is playing at Living Legends VI
straptrams91 supports Team VICIOUS
straptrams91 is an NCPA player
straptrams91 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBANxFLOW View Post
are you referring to the blemishes on the finish or the asa?...both are a problem for me the blemishes dont effect anything besides the visul apperence though the surface is still mainly smooth but the asa is real tight and it eats up my orings my friend has the same problem
the easiest way to prevent it (oring and thread damage) is to screw your tank on when it is empty, then fill it. the asas pin doesnt retract like many other types of asas when you turn it off, it just shuts the air passage, so when you screw your tank on and it has air in it, you are fighting 800 pounds of pressure while trying to screw the tank in the rest of the way.. the asas are really reliable.. but sometimes a p.i.t.a. if your tank is full and not screwed in yet. hope that helps
straptrams91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:53 PM #9
URBANxFLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by straptrams91 View Post
the easiest way to prevent it (oring and thread damage) is to screw your tank on when it is empty, then fill it. the asas pin doesnt retract like many other types of asas when you turn it off, it just shuts the air passage, so when you screw your tank on and it has air in it, you are fighting 800 pounds of pressure while trying to screw the tank in the rest of the way.. the asas are really reliable.. but sometimes a p.i.t.a. if your tank is full and not screwed in yet. hope that helps
yeah thanks...still a pain though cuz when ur done with a day of play and you want to go shoot out the rest of ur air and paint at home you have to fight it i think i still am adventually going to get a new asa but thanks that makes sense
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 PM #10
URBANxFLOW

looking at your trigger in the pics u might not like it because its so damn close lol move it away from the frame a little bit mine came a little further and the thing ripps my friend had the same problem he fixed it and now he likes it also try that out, this is the best trigger u can have on the eos hands down
Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 AM #11
munchkinman3

hey does anyone no if smartparts went out of business yet
munchkinman3 is offline   Reply With Quote