PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-06-2007, 04:40 PM #1
strings of p8nt (Banned)
i hate my username

just got my first drum set

its a cheap electronic set. my parents wanted to make sure i am accually commited to learing how to play before buying me anything good. \

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...it-?sku=443369

but im here to ask this, what are some good instructional websites/books? also some really easy songs. i can already play most of beverly hills, just a few parts mess me up. any tips you have learned as you play?
strings of p8nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2007, 04:49 PM #2
ThatsWhatSheSaid (Banned)
hey

that's a cheap set?
ThatsWhatSheSaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:03 PM #3
strings of p8nt (Banned)
i hate my username

well we ordered it saturday for 300. idk what deal it was. we got some more sticks and a bass pedal with it too. the total was like 350ish
Old 12-06-2007, 07:13 PM #4
CAHunter3
Captain America

You mother ****er.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:20 PM #5
strings of p8nt (Banned)
i hate my username

ya we were originally going to buy a 750 set at guitar center then my dad found this.

also what are some good headphones for it?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:29 PM #6
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Get some cheap Sony studio headphones from Best Buy.
They're like, 30 bucks, and should do the trick adequately.

You'll learn little things as you go along that make life a lot easier. It's better to teach yourself, because then you develop your natural style, as opposed to picking up some of somebody else's.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:39 PM #7
strings of p8nt (Banned)
i hate my username

what im thinking is just going to 1 or 2 private lessons and then teaching myself. id like to learn the basics and build off of them
Old 12-06-2007, 07:55 PM #8
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you're in school still, then go watch your drum line. Or -A- drum line for that matter. You'll pick up on a few quirks. Also, if you can get out of class and go watch a lower level band do warm ups, then that will help you by learning rudiments. (ATL ftw, by the way.)
Old 12-06-2007, 08:39 PM #9
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

If your school has a jazz band or anything, sit in on it. I learned a lot from watching the drummers from our school play, and it comes through in my playing. I picked up a lot of jazz/swing/hip hop stuff that comes through in my playing. I was in for a year playing guitar, but watching them play is what made me want to play drums.

You'll start paying a lot more attention to the drumming in songs, too, and listening to those helps a lot. I don't ever play other songs, I just play with my friends. If you learn some basic rock beats, find some friends to play with. You can plug that drum set into a bass or keyboard amp, and it will sound really good.
Jlausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:28 PM #10
Dekline
broke-as-hell ego owner

The reviews on musicans friend are all against it, but everyone has to start somewhere. to you for learning to play. My first set was a garbage CB drums set that only consisted of a bass drum snare tom and a ridecrash cymbol.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM #11
Proto Pimp
Durka Durka

Vicfirth.com has a section with all the rudiments, buy a metronome and learn them then start with stick control. Practice is the only thing that is going to make you better so be prepared to invest some time we do not need anymore half *** drummers so have fun.
Proto Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:46 PM #12
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS

has been a member for 10 years
all i can tell you is to not learn songs ... learn techniques and styles

i used to play a couple of years ago and im fixing to start again once i can buy a set ...

if you learn specific songs, youll get roped into putting those speicific fills and **** into other songs you play ...

plus, when you cover songs on drums, you dont need to match anything exactly
Old 12-07-2007, 02:10 PM #13
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

You do realize you'll need to buy a kick pedal for the bass drum with that set, right?
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:10 PM #14
strings of p8nt (Banned)
i hate my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyoel182 View Post
You do realize you'll need to buy a kick pedal for the bass drum with that set, right?
no i just thought i was supposed to kick the base pad.

next time read the thread
Old 12-07-2007, 03:44 PM #15
Dyoel182
Steel Tank Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by strings of p8nt View Post
no i just thought i was supposed to kick the base pad.
You could I guess but you'd have trouble staying consistent. Seriously though I'm laughing about the quality of a set + kick pedal for $350. Good luck with it.
2000 Tropic Green CSVT #836/2150
XBL: RapDonkey
Style: Basic Math
Dyoel182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 PM #16
strings of p8nt (Banned)
i hate my username

honestly i dont care if it breaks in a few months. thats the longest id keep it anyways. my parents dont want to fork out 750 for a set when i might not stick with drumming. if in a few months im still playing and enjoying it they will then spend the money. but the set works for me. i dont know whats good and bad in a drum set, but so far im enjoying it. i dont care if its **** compared to everything else.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:38 PM #17
Jordan5

Hey nice to see someone els playin drums. as sugggested , learn stick control, and play around with rudiments start out slow and buld up speed you can later move the rudemints around your kit. i play set and march on a drumline. i would highly suggest just jamming to start tho get a fell for your kit have some fun. make random beats add some fill's trear it up ul have a blast.

Feedback

"Originally posted by Quinton Jackson: holy **** you just dropped an ownage nuke on his sorry ***
Jordan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:05 PM #18
drumballer

That kit will do ya just fine! It's better than the pots and pans I started with! Plus with an electronic kit you can practice more and not bother your neighbors and fam. as far as good learning stuff check out drummerworld.com and theres all kinds of stuff on there. I would suggest taking a few lessons like you said so you can learn proper technique and form. Definately learn your rudiments and then also start applying them to your feet since your teaching yourself coordination it will only help in the long run. Make sure you also practice this stuff on soft things like a pillow or a workout practice pad. everything will respond quicker on an electronic kit since yours are hard rubber and it can make you sloppy since you dont have to work to rebound the stick! Killer kit man and welcome to the most kick *** instrument known to man!!
drumballer is offline   Reply With Quote