PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-05-2007, 12:12 AM #1
kazz
squeegee king

december 21st, 2012

anyone believe that the world is goin to end?

personally ive been reading **** online, and im scared ****less
kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:17 AM #2
He's Ebeneezer Goode

has been a member for 10 years
Don't believe it, it is just the end of the Mayan calendar.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:28 AM #3
syndrome (Banned)
Eulogy

Only 4 days till Christmas! sweet
syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 AM #4
NorCalBaller88
iFap

If it did, whatever.

"Plenty of room at the Hotel California..."
NorCalBaller88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:34 AM #5
Nalayah

RP has a picture. Basically the earth will be on the bottom side of the milky way.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Nalayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:05 AM #6
nreyaB
Pew Pew Pew

nreyaB helped look for balloons
nreyaB is playing at Living Legends III
If it does, oh well. I'm curious to see if theres an afterlife or not. Plus this way, everyone else dies with you!

"Originally posted by DreadLock Doc
I'm a fairly weak person, so I have to rely on tactics that are not very well looked upon, such as biting, eye gouging, flailing about randomly, and running away."
nreyaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM #7
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

Well, if it does; no worries cuz I'll be in Vegas with my two best friends. Epic.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Derr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:56 AM #8
ncbbh88
Dont hate the truth

ncbbh88 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
a thread on this needs to be stickied because there is atleast one per month.. what i can say is that the sites preaching the end of the world far outnumber logical sites explaining the science behind the claims. additionally the sites that proclaim the end varry so greatly on details that they are almost obsurd. by comparison the sites that explain the science behind the events do it in a credible and rock solid fasion. Believe what you want but i think that the science behind these events will hold true

What's going to happen on December 21st 2012?
Will the world end on 21st December 2012 because of the end of the Mayan calendar or because the winter solstice is "aligned" with the Milky Way?

It appears that Mayan ideas about time keeping and calendars were very cyclical. This is actually easy to understand because it's quite like our calendar which has cycles of various sizes very familiar to us. For example there is a:

1 Jan every year
day 1 every month
Monday every week
1am every day

The Mayan cycles were a bit more complex, such that every day in a 52 year period had a unique name from a combination of various different cycles (similar to the idea that there is a Monday 1st January only every 7 years or so). This 52 year cycle has is called a Calendar Round. To keep track of dates on longer time scales the Mayans then had what's known as the Long Count, which provides a unique numerical indicator for each day. Mayans did not count in base ten like we did, but usually instead in base 20 (although not always). The Mayan long count can be summarized as:

#days Mayan count
1 1 kin
20 20 kin 1 uinal
360 360 kin 18 uinal 1 tun
7200 7200 kin 360 uinal 20 tun 1 kactun
144000 144000 kin 8000 uinal 400 tun 20 kactun 1 bactun

The name for a Mayan epoch apparently translates as 13 bactuns, which you can see is 13*144000 days or 5125.26 years (roughly). There is actually some minor disagreement over when the current Mayan long cycle started, but it was probably either August 11th or 13th 3114 BC, which means it comes to an end on either Dec 21st or 23rd 2012.

As I mentioned above the Mayan calendar was designed to be cyclical, so the fact that the long count comes to an end in Dec 2012, while having some significance for the Maya as the end of a great cycle (much like we celebrated the millennium (incorrectly as it happens) on Dec 31st 1999), does not mean that the "world will come to an end". It's actually true that there are Mayan names for periods of time longer than 13 bactuns, so that their calendar doesn't even end then, and even if it did there is no evidence to suggest that they (or anyone for that matter) have any special knowledge about the end of the world.

There are however a lot of theories knocking around the Internet which use the end of this calendar cycle to predict the end of the world. They often also mention the fact that Dec 21st is the winter solstice, and that the Sun on the solstice that year is "aligned" with the plane of the galaxy. On the winter solstice, the Sun always has a Declination of -23.5 degrees, and a Right Ascension of 18 hours, but exactly where this is on the sky relative to more distant stars changes very slowly due to the "precession of the equinoxes". We have a posted answer explaining this effect but how it's important in this answer (and how it was first noticed) is by the fact that it moves the position of the equinoxes, and solstices with a period of 26,000 years in a complete circle around the sky westward along the ecliptic. So the position of the winter solstice moves 360 degrees in 26,000 years. That means that it moves 360/26000 = 0.01 degrees a year. Defining an exact boundary for the plane of the Milky Way is tough, but it's at least 10-20 degrees wide across much of the sky, meaning that the solstice can be described as being "in the plane of the Milky Way" for 700-1400 years! To put it another way, the winter solstice that just past (2005) was only 0.1 degrees away from where it will be in 2012, a distance smaller than the size of the Sun itself (which is about 0.5 degrees in diameter). In any case the Sun crosses the plane of the Galaxy twice every year as we orbit around it, with no ill effect on Earth.

To conclude:

The Mayan calendar does not predict the end of the world on Dec 12th 2012.
The exact date of the end of the current Mayan Long Count is still a matter of debate amongst Mayan scholars, although it is likely to be around Dec 21 2012.
The Mayan calendar is cyclical, and there are names for cycles longer than 13 bactuns of the Long Count which are coming to an end in 2012.
Even if the Mayans did believe that the world would come to an end at the end of the Long Count (which I don't believe is true), there is no reason to assume that they have any special knowledge which would allow them to make this prediction correctly. You are free to believe the Sun won't come up tomorrow, but it will anyway....

The fact that the winter solstice on 2012 is "aligned" with the plane of the Galaxy has no significance.
It takes the winter solstice 700-1400 years to cross the plane of the Galaxy.
The solstice last year (2005) was within 0.1 degrees (or 1/5th the size of the Sun) of where it will be on 2012.
The Sun crosses the plane of the Milky Way twice every year with no ill effect

NC
ncbbh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:00 AM #9
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Not another one!

/thread

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:04 AM #10
markcheb
surrender...don't move

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbbh88 View Post
a thread on this needs to be stickied because there is atleast one per month.....edited for space....The Sun crosses the plane of the Milky Way twice every year with no ill effect

NC
cool.
ChristKrew #185
Anointing foreheads with the paintball for a while now.
Where's God? - Read Luke 15:11-32
markcheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:34 AM #11
Furious_J
bockbock velcrowrapper

I always thought maybe the guy died that was making the calender.
CK I kneel for Jesus
RL#594

Please support the March of Dimes!
http://www.marchforbabies.org/s_team_page.asp?seid=620728
Furious_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 PM #12
Treasure Slaughter
Walrus

Hopefully it will soon enough, I've always wondered what experiencing death will be like.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 PM #13
kazz
squeegee king

nc: you have calmed me. thank your that great report!
kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM #14
icp1327

Has anyone tried the egg standing on end trick on the day of winter solstice???
icp1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:03 PM #15
CharlesM.
cwatididthar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by icp1327 View Post
Has anyone tried the egg standing on end trick on the day of winter solstice???
What?
Old 12-05-2007, 07:11 PM #16
icp1327

When I was in high school they talked about standing an egg on end during the winter solstice...I was curious if it actually worked.....that was a while back in my life and I don't remeber the details.....maybe it will definately work on 12/21/2012...
icp1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:47 PM #17
JayWalking

itll be my 23rd bday

o lord 23

23 that number haunts me

Christ Krew
JayWalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:29 PM #18
Nalayah

If there was a noticeable enough gravitational shift to counteract the basic gravitational force of the earth, you'd most likely feel it and experience it much more.

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Nalayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 AM #19
OA paintball
Matt Ragsdale

sorry to butt in, but ive seen the chart thing that says we are going to be on the bottom of the milky waythat Nayalah refrenced to. What excactly does that mean? anything serious? Or is it just like "oh hey, were on the bottom the milky way now... im going to go about my life like nothing ever happened!"?
PJ's and no shirt; smoke weed eat yogurt.
OA paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:54 AM #20
PuppyEater321

stfu about these threads already.
PuppyEater321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 AM #21
Systemshockkidz
Kill. Submission.

Everyone dies.