tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
tonybhall supports our troops
► ► ► Cinematography/Videography Thread v.drex

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nkWitaGat View Post
...i think we should have sticky for videos..
ask and you shall receive.

Put your videos here. All PBN rules apply. This is a place for people to post videos THEY have made and discuss them with others. It's not PbN's version of You Tube. Please don't go out and find a bunch of random videos to post here.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.

Last edited by tonybhall : 11-27-2007 at 03:30 PM.
tonybhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM #2
M0nkWitaGat
!! $MK !!

...i love getting what i want....

dust red 06 minion $200 shipped OBO NEED GONE ASAP
M0nkWitaGat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 03:54 PM #3
HBlack (Banned)

As much as I'd like the short I'm shooting this weekend to have it's own thread, this seems like the reasonable to do.

Actually, how about we make this the equivalent of the WDYS thread? ie, vids you just want to show off go here, but if you take the time to detail production/photos of the set they get their own thread. Just an idea.

Last edited by HBlack : 11-27-2007 at 03:56 PM.
HBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:21 PM #4
le0pard
Unforgiven

Someone needs to post all of Blazestorm's videos.
Unforgiven#20
Team Unforgiven ~ Like Us on Facebook!
Proudly Sponsored By: ANSgear ~ Captain O-Ring ~ Health Coach 7 ~ Paintball Sports Park ~ Zephyr Sports

I would rather play honest, and lose, than wipe.
le0pard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM #5
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
ha ha .... I love the pro piracy vid in your sig. that's good stuff.

I'm not saying that stupidity should be punishable by death. But I do think we should remove all the warning labels and let the problem take care of itself.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:24 PM #6
HBlack (Banned)

Thanks. If I ever need to try something like that again, I'm green screening it if at all possible. That selective colouring was a pain in the ***.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 PM #7
Primal Gnomes
Cardboard

So, can we discuss video related things here too as well as post videos? Is this the all-around video forum now?

Well, if it is, here's a quick question about capturing footage in HD: will people without a HD DVD player still be able to view your footage? Just not as high quality I believe.

Last edited by Primal Gnomes : 11-27-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Primal Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 PM #8
HBlack (Banned)

That's up to the mods.

Yes, but it will be in standard definition, ie no better than a regular dvd. If you want to show others your HD content, you can host it so they can download it at full quality. To show others when you are present, you can hook your computer up to an HDTV (with the proper connections and graphics card), or write the video back on to an HDV tape and hook your camera up to the TV.

As far as I know, HD DVD burners currently run at around $700, can only be bought with new computers, and the players are relatively rare, so it's not yet practical to make them yourself.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:18 PM #9
Primal Gnomes
Cardboard

Thanks man. I'm getting into video, but don't really have the money to drop on the DVX100b + audio. So I'm considering just going with the HV20 for a while, and soon enough upgrade.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:26 PM #10
HBlack (Banned)

That's the route I'm taking (except I already have audio covered, somwehat). Just shoot and research as much as you can, it takes a lot of work to become decent at it.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 PM #11
Primal Gnomes
Cardboard

Yep, I've been shooting shorts with friends now on my really crappy Panasonic DG-13 ... or something. It's old, and is terrible. That's all I can say.
But I'm just using it to gain experience.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 PM #12
HBlack (Banned)

Post them. Regardless of the quality of your equipment, people can always help you out with your editing and composition.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 PM #13
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal Gnomes View Post
So, can we discuss video related things here too as well as post videos? Is this the all-around video forum now?
I'm kind of in the testing phase. But yeah, that's basicaly the idea. We have started to get a lot of people posting and discussing videography here. It seems that a lot of the regulars to st photo are into that as well so it kind of seems like a natural place to host such discussions. I wanted to create a place for just that. Right now the only rules are to follow the standard PbN rules and that this is about making videos, not about random videos you've seen on you-tube. Other than that, I am open to suggestions.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:17 PM #14
Primal Gnomes
Cardboard

I think we should just see how many people are interested in this, and if we can contain all video stuff in one thread. That's just my thoughts ...
Old 11-27-2007, 08:19 PM #15
tonybhall
Mag Daddy

tonybhall is a Moderator
By the way, yes, I am aware that ST already has a video forum. But it's not really about videography. It's more of a depository of crap from around the world wide web. I hope this thread will give you guys a place to have intelligent discussion of the art of film making.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM #16
HBlack (Banned)

Maybe you guys can help me out with this. I need to figure out how to light the following scene.

Very similar to fight club. Dingy looking garage, two people standing on either side, with one in the center telling them the rules. It's daytime, with light coming in through the garage windows, and from a single lightbulb on the ceiling. Starts with slow dolly shots, and static shots. They go to the center, shake hands, and have a violent fistfight.

I have three 1k redheads, 4 c stands, and any lamps I can find around my house at my disposal. I can probably find some gels/diffusion at my school. Don't have the funds to buy anything else, so any reflectors will have to be made from cardboard/foil and whatnot.

I'm mostly having trouble figuring out how to make this look natural. For example, if someone's standing close to the wall with their back to it, wouldn't a three point light setup with a rim light look out of place if the light is supposed to be coming from the center and side of the room? I think it might be best to get the lights on the ceiling, but I can't think of a safe way of doing this. Any ideas?

Also, lighting people standing and talking is easy enough, but how would you suggest I light the fighting bits? I was planning on just keeping the light sources far off and soft so it's bright and evenly lit, but is there a more interesting way of doing it?

Here are some pictures of the garage. The car and trash bags won't be there, and I'll be taking down the unicycles as well (they don't make it look very menacing).
http://i8.tinypic.com/8g8oza1.jpg
http://i18.tinypic.com/6qc7mrk.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/6ydp34x.jpg
http://i13.tinypic.com/7w8c104.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:03 AM #17
Fatty
Super Pimp

Fatty is a Supporting Member
Fatty is a founding member
Alright:
1. setup a redhead outside of window, like a good 10-15 feet back at least, and spot it into the room, towards the area they'll be fighting.
2. put a readhead above that light in the garage, but have it pointing down, and use the flaps (name evades me, thanks film school!) to spot it on the ground. This should give you some fill off the concrete floor (providing its grey).

Also, you want this to look like night or day?? Hard lighting, high contrast. Your biggest fault is your lighting. Don't **** this up! Light it with hard lights, you'll get a bright image, and when you get into colour correction, you'll have something to work with.

Finally, **** "natural" look. If the audience doesnt notice, its natural. Watch 98% of hollywood films night shots. There are huge *** lights, its colour corrected blue, voila, you have hollywood's night. Make the lighting look good, and make sure its something the audience won't notice, cause joe public doesn't give a **** about your lighting, he wants to see finished products.

Does that help? I'm high.

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr
Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:35 AM #18
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Can I propose a thread title change? something more official like "Cinematography/Videography Thread"
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 AM #19
HBlack (Banned)

From this input and what people have said on dvxuser, here's what I'm thinking.

All three redheads through the windows with blue gels, for strong beams of "sunlight". Replace the lightbulb in the ceiling with a 100watt flood, and get a regular, soft lamp on every shot to bring up the ambient level. Thoughts?

Oh, and you were thinking of barn doors.

Last edited by HBlack : 11-28-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 PM #20
Fatty
Super Pimp

Fatty is a Supporting Member
Fatty is a founding member
I don't think the 100watt will look as good as a redhead up there. Also, gel the lights yellow, and get a dusk look, since you're got light comnig in sideways.

Thats just me, I'm a goober.

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr
Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:41 PM #21
HBlack (Banned)

Turns out I have access to a few fresnels as well. I think I'm going to get three or four of those up on the ceiling, one as a primary central light and the rest directional with some diffusion to increase the overall brightness of the room.

I was considering the blue gel, because that's supposed to change the colour temperature to something more similar to daylight. I only have 2 CTB gels though and they're pretty blue, so I'm going to disperse those evenly so the blue light combines with the unfiltered light to make it loko more natural.

I'll try the orange filters though.

Also, turns out I have a fog machine. I'm going to try to create a consistent light fog throughout so that the beams of light coming through the window are visible. I hope that works out.