Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2007, 03:13 PM #1
Robin van Persie

Debit Card/Bank question

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I doubt I'd get help from ST.

I am 15, turning 16 on November 8th, and I got a job this past summer. I'm starting to have bigger and bigger amounts of money on me and I have recently discussed with my mom the possibility of me starting a bank account and getting a debit card.

My mom was at the bank today taking some money out and ran into a problem, they denied me because I was too young.

Does anyone know of a nationwide bank or a bank in the NY-NJ area that allows minors to have a debit card with their own name on it with parent's consent?

The bank that we were turned down from was Atlantic Stewardship Bank. Some others in my area include Commerce Bank, Washington Mutual, and a few others I cannot think of right now.
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM #2
splatman720v2 (Banned)

What I do is use paypal for my debit card. Use your bank account(savings account, in my state I can have a checking account but no debit card) as a backup funding source.
splatman720v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM #3
FiresofSirius
Let the Galaxy Burn

FiresofSirius donated to help Peyton Trent
FiresofSirius owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FiresofSirius is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Almost all financial institutions require you to be 18 to have a Checking Account. In some cases you can be 17 but you still need a parent on the account. Sorry.
FiresofSirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:27 AM #4
-lopez-

has been a member for 10 years
Im 17, and wierly enough turn 18 on nov 8th... but i got a debit/atm card about 3 months ago for college, walked into M and T and set up a cheking/savings account by myself no parent consent was needed, try M and T. the only trouble i had was because i was 18 i was denied overdrafting for my avount, but thats not nessesarly a bad thing
Old 10-04-2007, 03:22 PM #5
debo08080

has been a member for 10 years
Where in Jersey? try TD Banknorth. Most will let you have one if your parent's name is on the account at that age.
debo08080 is offline   Reply With Quote