therealmr is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
C&C another movie for a good cause?

WARNING, THIS MOVIE CONTAINS UNDESERVED BLOODY VIOLENCE,
WARNING, THIS MOVIE CONTAINS UNDESERVED BLOODY VIOLENCE, as well as an implied blowjob

This was written in a week, and shot in a day. Time limit was 5 minutes (hence the really short credits). It was a group project I took over for a class I took in the beginning of last year. I shot it, wrote it, edited it, got the costumes, did the soundtrack, the sounds, and the effects. I didn't do the lighting, though...

I always thought it was horrible, so I want to think what you guys think of it.

http://www.therealmr.com/filmography...rn/FP%20HQ.wmv

This is a 5 minute, 70 megabite file. Please save target as.

----------------------------------------------------------

before you post:

As said before, I CAN NOT RE-SHOOT anything. I am not planning on CHANGING ANYTHING. If you have comments regarding the storyline, I don't want to hear it. This movie was not made to tell an amazing story. It was an excuse to kill people in interesting ways.

Other than that, I'd like to hear what you thing about

*lighting
*composition
*soundtrack
*effects
*blood appearance
*sound
*style

Thanks guys, I know you'll do me proud tearing this apart

-Therealmr

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.

Last edited by therealmr : 09-23-2007 at 10:25 PM.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 PM #2
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I think I'll fall asleep by the time it downloads.

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 PM #3
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
I once exported the movie at medium quality, but watching it 320x240 made me want to shoot myself in the face. Thanks for the intention of watching it, though, haha

Old 09-23-2007, 10:54 PM #4
HBlack (Banned)

I didn't like the introduction of the killer. The amount of emphasis put on him made him look slightly ridiculous. I think a better way of introducing him would be to have him lingering in the background subtly for a while, while giving off an unsettling presence. I thought the pacing should have sped up right when he started killing people.

I liked how it opened, naturally and very non-stereotypically of a horror. However that zoom out shot was screaming "this is a bad guy, he's going to start screwing **** up". It took away the shock value of it, because you knew what was going to happen.

Good camera work at the beginning. How did you get that many people together, and what was it shot on?

I'm still watching, btw.

EDIT: After the killer started doing his thing, that's what really redeemed it. The pacing and shot styles worked well with it. The blood was great. Did you make it yourself or buy it?

One thing that bugged me was the selective sound. It seemed that some things that should have had sound, didn't (like various hits, and lack of vocal noise coming from the characters).

Last edited by HBlack : 09-23-2007 at 10:58 PM.
HBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:58 PM #5
Potz4Prez
I am a thinking thing oo~

Potz4Prez is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
In the first scene, I don't think the camera and character movements flow well enough to go along with the music.

The second scene, I think that the lighting could be improved. I realize that you were just using available light, but the faces seemed too dark and flat.

With the chase scene, I know what you were going for with the quick and edgy camera movements and cuts. It held my interest, but it needs some work.

I think that the stabbing scene of the guy in the hall needs to be dramatized even more and the still, afar shots shortened (They're boring)

You need to do something about the lighting outside.

I liked the blood splatter effect.. in fact, most of the blood work was good except the smeared blood on the door - it looked pink and fake.

That's my tired 2 cents. I'm disappointed that I can't comment on the storyline. That's what I usually look for and appreciate in films.

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: Potz is the GDT.."

"Originally Posted by gentimmy: potz ur my hero"

"Originally Posted by AndyAllen019: By far the funniest post I have seen in quite some time[...] Well played, good sir, well played."
Potz4Prez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 AM #6
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potz4Prez View Post
With the chase scene, I know what you were going for with the quick and edgy camera movements and cuts. It held my interest, but it needs some work.
I agree. During the shoot it was pretty much working against the clock and I didn't think too hard about how what I was shooting would look all cut together. A lot of my storyboards were scrapped the moment we got everyone in there, since it became evident that my 'idea' of the scene was unnatural for our 'actors'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potz4Prez View Post
You need to do something about the lighting outside.
I know =( It was unfortunate, and I thought that that scene, as well as the 'lunch' scene really suffered from boring light. It kindof made me sad to see those scenes basically go to waste. If it makes you feel better, we did try to use our little light setup, but we had no extension cords.... DURRRR. I felt so stupid =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBlack View Post
Good camera work at the beginning. How did you get that many people together, and what was it shot on?

The blood was great. Did you make it yourself or buy it?

One thing that bugged me was the selective sound. It seemed that some things that should have had sound, didn't
Answers to questions

1) This was the first shot of the day, and I got all the people from my dorm that I could to fill the classroom. I shot this scene on the DVX100a. This was my favorite scene.

2) I made the blood myself. I made a quarter gallon of thick blood, which was 100% karo syrup. For color, a lot of red food coloring, some yellow, and green. The trick was the addition of zinc oxide and milkshake thickener. I also made 'tube blood' for when we needed blood to flow under clothing. That was 1/2 karo and 1/2 water, same coloring.

3) Selective sound was my choice. We had nothing but the onboard mic from the DVX... which isn't all that great. I made the decision to try it without dialog... especially since nobody was an official actor. I wanted the sound to kick in with the first scream, but unfortunately the sound didn't record correctly, and thus I had to settle for adding all the sounds in post.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 PM #7
Bendel0240 (Banned)

Guy standing by the wall on the far right at 2:48 is completely taking away the suspense for me...

Other than that I liked it. Good job.
Bendel0240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 06:56 PM #8
chris_arnet
V-Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendel0240 View Post
Guy standing by the wall on the far right at 2:48 is completely taking away the suspense for me...

Other than that I liked it. Good job.
qft, was he supposed to be there? cause i didnt see him at all during the rest of the movie. the sound effects were brutal, but i dont think you should have used that "crunching" sound when only his leg gets cut. lol at the bj.

oh, and the guy in the yellow shirt looked alot like Eric from "That 70s Show".
Old 09-28-2007, 10:24 AM #9
OrbitalDeath127
whitewashed

OrbitalDeath127 is playing at Living Legends V
OrbitalDeath127 is an NCPA player
OrbitalDeath127 plays in the APPA D5 division
What a cock block. The dude was getting a bj and he got his throat slit . Other than that, it was pretty good. The camera seemed a bit shaky at times when I'm pretty sure it shouldn't have been shaking. The blood looked a bit too runny. I also lol'd when the guy's leg got cut .
OrbitalDeath127 is offline   Reply With Quote