PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 PM #1
Ynnekdude
Carpe Diem

What to do with 3000$...

Ok well basically over the past few years when I was in highschool I worked my *** of at a bank. Now, I have 3000$ in my account at that bank and then a seperate account at another bank with much more money (I do not want to touch that stuff until I'm done with college). It's pretty worthless for me to get a CD or money market for only $3000...so I'm curious. What would be a good way to get good returns on $3000 in oh say 6-10 (maybe more if someone has an unbelievable idea) years? I'm willing to be risky because this is money that I don't really "need" though I'd prefer to gain rather than lose on this investment
"This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

Russian Legion Fanclub #16
Ynnekdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2007, 05:21 PM #2
x Lastoutlaw X

x Lastoutlaw X supports Cereal Killerz 2
x Lastoutlaw X owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
x Lastoutlaw X supports Team VICIOUS
x Lastoutlaw X has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
legal or illegal?

blv
x Lastoutlaw X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM #3
Scootscr15
Pay attention boy

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by x Lastoutlaw X View Post
legal or illegal?
lol

Legal: anything that promotes the environment (with that big "go green" gay thing that everyone is jumping on)

Illegal: Sling Some Rock.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 PM #4
SoMich_Tom
Retired

SoMich_Tom is a Supporting Member
Worked at a bank and didn't pick up anything about money management? I find that odd. I do regular coaching sessions with my tellers not only for sales opportunities but for their own knowledge as well.

Is there an investment person at either of your banks whom you trust? He/she should be your first contact.

Nobody here can recommend an investment based on the info we have, you really need to speak to someone about it.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:46 PM #5
grindnutkick
pfft im a baller

scoot is right put it into anything about going green, because seems like more and more people are trying to prevent global warming.

CHRIST KREW

"There is no fear in love, But perfect love drives out fear , because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made in perfect love." 1 John 4:18 (NIV)
grindnutkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:20 PM #6
Ynnekdude
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMich_Tom View Post
Worked at a bank and didn't pick up anything about money management? I find that odd. I do regular coaching sessions with my tellers not only for sales opportunities but for their own knowledge as well.

Is there an investment person at either of your banks whom you trust? He/she should be your first contact.

Nobody here can recommend an investment based on the info we have, you really need to speak to someone about it.
Basically the bank I worked at got bought out by another bank and it really screwed everything over. We lost a lot of good customers along with loads of great employees...many of them people whom I would have trusted helping me invest my money. The new bank basically treated everyone like **** until they could no longer take it and decided to quit. Then they would send in their own employees to take the positions because they are *******s like that.
"This is a hard job, and I'm not just saying this to win favour with lorry drivers. It's a hard job - change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

Russian Legion Fanclub #16
Ynnekdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:49 PM #7
splatman720v2 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindnutkick View Post
scoot is right put it into anything about going green, because seems like more and more people are trying to prevent global warming.
NONONONONONO! That is not smart at all. You have to first determine how well the company is doing(cash flow, debt, etc....). Then you can make a decision with some more research. Even if everyone bought a product from a company that did not have a good business model; it would fail.
splatman720v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 AM #8
Chief Rocka
Banned x1.

well i'd build computers and sell them here or locally.. it's an easy $300 per computer for an hours worth of work

Quest fs
Chief Rocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 AM #9
Dude5779597
Freelance Mod

well etrade's complete savings could get you a decent amount per year for 3000. I think its 5.05% APY.
Dude5779597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:14 AM #10
satamusic
ɔısnɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rocka View Post
well i'd build computers and sell them here or locally.. it's an easy $300 per computer for an hours worth of work
maybe two hours, maybe less, clone them, $300 per computer for 10 computers in under a day= $3000 a day

.alien.interceptor. bob.long.reg. hammer.head.freak. pulse. lp.crossfire.

satamusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:00 PM #11
CtownBaller96

Open a portfolio with a higher percentage of stocks, maybe 70/30. More risk can equal higher returns but it just depends how you want to invest and if you feel safe doing it.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:56 PM #12
Gagarin II

alternative fuel sources and companies that produce them, are sound investments at this time
Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 PM #13
JeremyCo103

buy some vlccf, over 10 percent in dividends a year, more than you will get with most mutual funds, and it's got a pe of 9 so there's room for the price to incease as well
Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 AM #14
FalconMan281

FalconMan281 is a Supporting Member
FalconMan281 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Mutual Funds. I love them. Just find the right one for what you are looking to do.
FalconMan281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:46 PM #15
sportstm1227
Timmy member #21

Ok, Personally this is my story. I bought a CD with $5000 at age 13. At age 16 now I only have $5800. It was a waste of my time. Then I thought if there was a way to buy my neighbors house. He is 95 so his time is about done. He is a good friend of my parents. I talked it over with my dad and he said he will buy me the house. It needs alot of work since a 95 yr old man was living in it. For example drywalled, new kitchen, bathroom, and everything had to be gutted. It is in the city where the houses go for about $190,000. We payed $75,000. Surprisingly I am very handy at most things but not all. Luckly my cousins boyfriend was a great carpenter, so he helped with the kitchen and bathrooms. I put in the house about $85,000. I managed to sell the house for $205,000 since we renivated it. So I payed my dad back the money. That was the easiest money I think I have made.

What I am trying to say is, Find something you enjoy and make money off of it. Take the opprotunity and look at it. Look at all aspects of the product. Personally I would not like to build computers like the guy above said. but if you like it go for it.

If you need any help investing, let me know.
Thanks!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:40 PM #16
t_mo (Banned)
Baller Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagarin II View Post
alternative fuel sources and companies that produce them, are sound investments at this time
I wouldn't say that. Maybe renewable energy plays for the very long term, but how do you distinguish best of breed for the long term in a market that is so infantile? If you consider ethanol to be alternative then that is one of the worst plays out there.

When making a suggestion please try to adds some meat to it.
t_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 12:11 AM #17
iTrader
03 Lexus IS300

iTrader is a Supporting Member
Defiantly invest in CLWR. WiMax is the way of the future for internet services and the stock will start to move a lot within the next year. I am putting it at $80 a share (no considering splits) by December 08'. Its a solid buy anywhere from $25 and below if you want a long term stock that will treat you well. And they are financed by Sprint and Bank of America.
iTrader is offline   Reply With Quote