Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 11:53 AM #1
PDXMark
flopy head and beedy eyes

Why isn't pot legal in U.S.?

Quote:
By Gloria Baraquio -hawaiitribune-herald.com

When I first moved here, I thought marijuana was illegal. And then after living here a few years, I realized that everyone and their mom either smokes it, buys it, grows it, or sells it. So then I thought weed wasn't illegal. But then in the past few weeks, I've been hearing about these drug busts and house raids and farms getting shut down, which has made me start to think, once again, that marijuana is in fact illegal.

I grew up thinking weed was BAD. Just say no to drugs. Marijuana is a gateway drug. It's addictive, and it'll get you hooked on harder drugs like ice and cocaine. Somewhere, somehow this was ingrained in me.

But then I started going to public school, and a lot of my friends were smoking it. They made special brownies, and they ate them in class ... and they always got good grades! When I went to college in California, everyone in the dorms smoked it -- all the time. And many of them were honor students. I found the same thing happening when I studied in England. Those Brits love their pot. They actually roll their marijuana with tobacco so they don't smoke it all one time -- weed is hard to come by in those areas. But when I visited Amsterdam, I found pot on every corner. I remember walking into a coffee shop there and being absolutely astounded with their menu. Right next to their coffee list was a list of marijuana strains! They even had complementary pipes and hookahs for free samples of the herb.

When I worked as a professional on Oahu, I found that a lot of business owners and all these rich, white guys smoked weed for recreation. That was a little shocking for me.

But then I moved here, and nothing really shocked me anymore. Everyone -- young and old, rich and poor, local and haole -- was smoking it.

And it made sense to me. For one, the lifestyle here is so laid back. Everything is chill, and the marijuana high seems to complement that. And two, the farmland and weather conditions here are prime for cannabis. You don't have to do anything to the plant. Just throw it in the ground and it grows. And three, there aren't many other jobs or sources of income on this island (yet) to sustain everyone who wants to live here.

In my time here, listening to different people's stories, I've learned that marijuana is sacred and natural, that it can expand the mind and take you to higher states of consciousness. That would explain why some of the kindest and wisest people I've met are advocates of the herb. And I don't really have to say this because it's so obvious, but smokers of marijuana are way more peaceful, loving, and conscious than most alcohol drinkers out there. And yet, somehow, alcohol is totally a legal drug (and a multibillion-dollar industry in the U.S.).

I was reading the forums online regarding the pot busts on this island, and different people have their different beliefs.

Some people think weed is a danger to society and to the youth. Some people think it should be taxed and controlled. Some people think cannabis is still illegal because it's a threat to big industries like pharmaceuticals, tobacco, cotton and oil. Many believe that criminalizing it is a way to simply control the masses.

But there seems to be no disagreement about this: marijuana frees the mind.

The main reason people love the herb is the same reason other people fear it. If everyone smoked weed, this world might be happy, healthy, peaceful, and free. People might actually quit their jobs and start doing what they love. Society, as we know it, would come tumbling down.

Bob Marley once said, "The more people smoke herb, the more Babylon fall."

Babylon is falling.
One reason for it(pot) being illegal -"oil companies"

Don't believe me, I don't care!

I graduated High School with a 3.7GPA, smoked pot the hole time. I also played soccer for seven years during schooling. During high school soccer, half the team was getting high and we still came in third in state my Senior year, and there's like 30+ High Schools in my state of Oregon.

Last edited by PDXMark : 09-22-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-22-2007, 11:58 AM #2
chodeyg
sprezzatura

That "essay", i guess you would call it, is pretty ****ty.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:00 PM #3
PDXMark

It's a story about one persons experience, you re-re!
It's not an essay, ese!
Old 09-22-2007, 12:16 PM #4
PBU
E.A.P.G. #10

Just a guess........insurance companies.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:17 PM #5
He's Ebeneezer Goode

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
That "essay", i guess you would call it, is pretty ****ty.

Its just like every other pothead's story in the America who wants it to be legal save for the blaming it on oil?
Old 09-22-2007, 12:42 PM #6
apunkjunkie

Marijuana is a gateway drug and there are countless studies that show it. Why? Because you never get as high as your first high and people seek that same feeling. When they don't get that "first high" sensation, they turn to other drugs to compensate.

Are there successful members of society that regularly smoke marijuana? Sure there are. There are doctors, lawyers, and politicians that do worse and still succeed in life. However, more crime is associated with marijuana and the sales of marijuana than any other drug. Is that because its illegal or a product of the drug itself?

Another reason the drug is illegal is that how do you measure how "stoned" a person is when they're driving a car. When you drive with alcohol in your system, there is a way to measure how approximately how much the alcohol is affecting someone right there on the side of the road. If you've had one beer, its easy to tell you've had one beer. If you've smoked half a joint or a big blunt, there's no way to tell because marijuana has the same affects to the eyes no matter how much you smoke. There's no way to tell how much is too much pot when you get behind the wheel.

I agree, however, that marijuana is the least harmful drug out there. No one has overdosed on marijuana alone and most people are laid back and mellow with minor paranoia. But as long as its illegal, you'll get in trouble if you get caught with it.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:43 PM #7
JcKa
post-Hipster

It is getting kind of annoying how strict they (the authorities) are on pot. I don't smoke anything nor drink by choice, but I have no problems with anyone doing either. Two days ago, a good friend of mine, in the month before he learns whether or not he gets into college, gets kicked out because they found a grinder in his bag.

I think the problem is that marijuana, when used by people with certain personalities, becomes addictive and leads to bigger things, and that's why people have such a negative approach to it.

Do I think it should be legalized? Don't really care as it doesn't affect me, but do I think they should lighten up on the recreational users? Yah.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:55 PM #8
SuperSupra619 (Banned)

It should obviously be legalized
Old 09-22-2007, 12:57 PM #9
apunkjunkie

I'm with you, and I'm a cop. Do I care if someone smokes a joint every once and a while in the privacy of their own home? Nope not at all. However, when you bring it out of the home and into public is when I have to start caring. Will I take someone to jail for some shake or residue? Not at all. However, if you have any of substance out in public, I really won't have much of a choice.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:27 PM #10
element34575
b r o p

element34575 is playing at Living Legends III
element34575 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
element34575 supports Team VICIOUS
element34575 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by apunkjunkie View Post
Marijuana is a gateway drug and there are countless studies that show it. Why? Because you never get as high as your first high and people seek that same feeling.
No...

You will probably get the same high the next 10 times you smoke...

True, over time you do get a tolerance to it, but a week break solves that problem...

Quit preaching what you dare officer told you...

Quote:
Another reason the drug is illegal is that how do you measure how "stoned" a person is when they're driving a car. When you drive with alcohol in your system, there is a way to measure how approximately how much the alcohol is affecting someone right there on the side of the road. If you've had one beer, its easy to tell you've had one beer. If you've smoked half a joint or a big blunt, there's no way to tell because marijuana has the same affects to the eyes no matter how much you smoke. There's no way to tell how much is too much pot when you get behind the wheel.
There is a ceiling to every high, which most people will reach after 2 or 4 bong rips..

It has been proved that after a joint, a regular marijuana user can drive better high then sober...

The true reason it's Illegal is because the government can't tax it...

Last edited by element34575 : 09-22-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM #11
apunkjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by element34575 View Post
No...

You will probably get the same high the next 10 times you smoke...

True, over time you do get a tolerance to it, but a week break solves that problem...

Quit preaching what you dare officer told you...
Okay, show me your studies and research....or is it all your personal experience with your 16 years on this planet? So you will "probably" get the same high? So you're not sure.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:32 PM #12
element34575
b r o p

element34575 is playing at Living Legends III
element34575 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
element34575 supports Team VICIOUS
element34575 is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Okay, show me your studies and research....or is it all your personal experience with your 16 years on this planet? So you will "probably" get the same high? So you're not sure.
****, I smoke...think I would know...

Edit: It's different for every person.. for me, after about a week and a half of smoking a couple bowls a day I get a little tolerance to it...

I then usually take about a week break after 2 weeks of smoking, but that's just my routine.. like I said, everyone is different...

Last edited by element34575 : 09-22-2007 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:35 PM #13
Rebel Soldier
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Don't even worry about smoking weed. Just go get some SALVIA.
Old 09-22-2007, 01:49 PM #14
Furious S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Soldier View Post
Don't even worry about smoking weed. Just go get some SALVIA.
You've obviously never smoked anything like 20x salvia if you think the effect is even close to the effect of weed. And for weaker amounts, the effects only last for 10-20 minutes.

"Originally posted by p8ntgurl
I only have 1 screwed up kid out of 4. That's not bad. "
Old 09-22-2007, 02:06 PM #15
Adema3412
Give me fiction

Stop posting every ****ing article you read on digg
on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.
--Murray Rothbard
Old 09-22-2007, 04:14 PM #16
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post
I graduated High School with a 3.7GPA, smoked pot the hole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adema3412 View Post
Stop posting every ****ing article you read on digg
Done, done and done.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:34 PM #17
PDXMark

Quote:
I'm with you, and I'm a cop. Do I care if someone smokes a joint every once and a while in the privacy of their own home? Nope not at all. However, when you bring it out of the home and into public is when I have to start caring. Will I take someone to jail for some shake or residue? Not at all. However, if you have any of substance out in public, I really won't have much of a choice.
I understand to, because the laws are how they are.

Hypothetical-
If you pulled a person over and they were forth-coming to you about a small bag of pot they have in their possessions(say a $20) and they tell you that they are taking it straight home, because of their honesty with you would you give them safe passage?
Old 09-22-2007, 05:10 PM #18
Wenuliveudie
100% Organic

Wenuliveudie plays in the PSP
Wenuliveudie donated to help Peyton Trent
Wenuliveudie helped look for balloons
Wenuliveudie plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMark View Post
One reason for it(pot) being illegal -"oil companies"
Ehh, has more to do with the alcohol, cotton and tobacco lobbies than oil.

If I didn't want an internship at J&J next summer, then I'd smoke.

Old Feedback +16
Don't lose touch.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:14 PM #19
Gold_Eagle (Banned)

Because William Randolph Hearst, who owned paper mills, wanted paper to replace industrial hemp, even though you can't get high off industrial hemp. He essentially started a "war" on all cannabis genera that continues to this day.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:15 PM #20
PDXMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenuliveudie View Post
Ehh, has more to do with the alcohol, cotton and tobacco lobbies than oil.

If I didn't want an internship at J&J next summer, then I'd smoke.
Well, ya, that is the present day, but this hole marijuana prohibition started with oil lobbyist in the early 1920's.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:29 PM #21
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Marijuana is a gateway drug and there are countless studies that show it. Why? Because you never get as high as your first high and people seek that same feeling. When they don't get that "first high" sensation, they turn to other drugs to compensate.
I argue that on the basis of personal experience. I've been a marijuana smoker for years now, and I have never tried anything else (well, I did mushrooms about 5 years ago, but not willingly). Sure, marijuana could be viewed as a gateway drug for some people because it is the first "drug" they experience. If we're going to rely on the slippery slope argument, however, couldn't we just as easily argue that alcohol is more of a gateway than marijuana, because people typically try alcohol before marijuana? I guess the question I'm asking is whether the physical means (marijuana) is being scapegoated in lieu the actual problem: human responsibility?

Quote:
Are there successful members of society that regularly smoke marijuana? Sure there are. There are doctors, lawyers, and politicians that do worse and still succeed in life. However, more crime is associated with marijuana and the sales of marijuana than any other drug. Is that because its illegal or a product of the drug itself?
Of course the crime rate surrounding marijuana is due to it being illegal, nothing more. Think about this: total legalization is a drug dealers worst nightmare. Why? Because they can't compete with corporate interests. We would elevate the "drug trade" of marijuana to a "commercial trade", thereby eliminating the under-the-radar and criminal activities which are happening right now.

Quote:
I totally and wholly agree with this. Seeing that marijuana is a mind-altering substance, it should be regulated and controlled much in the same manor as alcohol.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
Closed Thread