CALLmeSANCHEZ
MW

has been a member for 10 years
CALLmeSANCHEZ plays in the PSP
CALLmeSANCHEZ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CALLmeSANCHEZ has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
need enlightenment on investmenting

well where to start.......

i start by asking about investment type careers. how would one go about becoming a stock broker or getting in that type of career field? is there some sort of college education you have to get? how many different types of jobs are there? what kind of money can be made there?

whats an average amount/percentage made off of stocks?

i sound like a retard so if flaming is necessary please feel free to. any help will be very much appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2007, 02:38 AM #2
t_mo (Banned)

http://www.investopedia.com/universi...dingblocks.asp

This should get your feet wet. Try and come back with some more specific questions.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:18 PM #3
CALLmeSANCHEZ
MW

thanx. anyone know anything about schooling?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:31 PM #4
nappy headed hoe
R.I.P. ODB

flaming is welcome?
well theres a first

just about any school will have business classes that provide a necessary bachelors degree in business

i dont know much about it tho, its just common knowledge(no, im not flaming)

46% of teens engage in pre-marital sex. 89% drink before the age of 21. Put this in ur sig if you think that pandas are the chillest animal alive
Old 08-17-2007, 09:55 PM #5
SoMich_Tom
Retired

SoMich_Tom is a Supporting Member
You don't need a college degree. It helps, but is not absolutely needed to break into this industry. Where you get hurt without one is trying to move up within a company.

I would venture to say that most guys in the wirehouses on the floor taking stock orders (Anyone seen Boiler Room?) do not have a degree.

That is, of course, just a guess based on my experience with those type of places.

There is much more to an investment career than just being a stock broker. Any 'stock broker' these days is mostly just a telemarketer.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:33 AM #6
Stupid2k5ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMich_Tom View Post
You don't need a college degree. It helps, but is not absolutely needed to break into this industry. Where you get hurt without one is trying to move up within a company.

I would venture to say that most guys in the wirehouses on the floor taking stock orders (Anyone seen Boiler Room?) do not have a degree.

That is, of course, just a guess based on my experience with those type of places.

There is much more to an investment career than just being a stock broker. Any 'stock broker' these days is mostly just a telemarketer.
While you may have found success without a degree, I do not think that it is a wise decision to take that gamble. Given two candidates with similar qualifications, one with a degree and one without, the one with the degree will get the job 10 times out of 10.

I would go to any business school or college and major in either finance or economics. There is so much you can do with an economics degree its not funny.

-Ephesians 6:11
Old 08-18-2007, 04:42 AM #7
CALLmeSANCHEZ
MW

thanks guys. yes flaming is welcome because i know i sound like a douche. but only if advice comes with it.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 AM #8
t_mo (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMich_Tom View Post
I don't work with a single person that does not have a college degree. I do not have a single client that does not have their CFA, or is working towards it (junior analyst kind of stuff).

If you want to go into the buy side of the financial world a degree is a must. The sell side (working with consumers) is a lot of times commission based so they don't care who you are because if you don't produce you don't make money.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 PM #9
canadadryy

go get some business degrees to get set - to become a stockbroker you don't need to go to college for...your success is determined by yourself