PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-10-2007, 02:16 PM #1
LlamaRama

has been a member for 10 years
A milled Impulse ram sleeve? WHAT'S STOPPING ME!!!?!?!?

Externally, the only differences between the crummy stock Imp ram, and the much touted NDZ ram, are the "air channels" that run the length of the sleeve.

But what good is this? Looking at where the air input actually is, it seems more likely that these channels will be gummed up with dow33 and not even pick up that little spritz of air from the solenoid.

So... I got bored and am considering doing this to my imp.

Mill it just a little bit deep. I figure a dremel or drill press might do the trick. I figure the hurricane looking grooves at the top would pick up the spritz of air. After all, you can guess within an 1/16th of an inch where the hole from the noid will actually line up. These grooves assure the air is properly channeled.

Thoughts, critiques, ideas on what would be better used than a drill press or dremel?
I knew I was dead
After that first step
I knew I would fall
After that first breath
Was the end of it all.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2007, 02:52 PM #2
Malystryx
A G D

I would use a drill press, should be more stable and easier to use.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:13 PM #3
MVPBRENT
*Certified with most guns

be very careful though, Sometimes those small holes are small for a reason, If the holes are larger then that actually increases the amount of volume needed to make the ram cycle. Which might mean you need either a.) higher pressures, or b.)higher dwell...

choose your poison.

However it really depends, i don't know what year impulse you have so it all could be a moot point because older impulses have a ram cap which makes the amount of air needed huge.

unless I'm not understanding what it is your talking about.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:19 PM #4
outkast kid

outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Yea I have no idea what I'm looking at there and I know my way around imps.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 PM #5
LlamaRama

Pictured is the stock ram assembly, the larger section is the "out" section, and the smaller one is the "in" section.

Yes MVPBrent, you are correct. However, I figure that the air is already expanding around the assembly before it finds the holes and enters them. I feel like these channels would direct the air so it doesn't have to expand that much. Path of least resistance and all that. My other concern is that on an impulse (mine is a ton ton) the air from the noid is released at the very front of the assembly, while the "out" hole is all the way in the back. I'm just trying to get the air down there.
I knew I was dead
After that first step
I knew I would fall
After that first breath
Was the end of it all.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:49 PM #6
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Moderator
Ydna is a Supporting Member
Ydna is BST Trusted
Well, it's true that there are air channels milled into the side of the housing, but that's not really something you could do to an elready existing housing. They're already reduced in diameter so air can pass around them, so milling channels into them won't do anything except increase the air volume used per shot. What you'd ideally want to do is produce a new piston housing from scratch then put your own channels into it. That way you'd miss all the slack space and life wouldbe good.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".