PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-19-2007, 07:59 PM #1
an94
Pirate till death

how much would this cost me?

I have an black (soon to have red CCU kit.. I hope) Etek that Im putting every upgrade that is out there for it. But Im wanting something a little different also. thinking about sending it in & getting the body milled. something like a half-blocked cocker with the sleds. what do you think, should I do this & if so how much would it cost me with Parts & labor?
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 PM #2
volcomstone2262
Get it HONEY

volcomstone2262 is a Supporting Member
volcomstone2262 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
with sleds...... There is no way. The rammer only goes back so far. The only thing you could do is mill the upper tube.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM #3
an94
Pirate till death

I dont understand, why would a sled not work? is the bolt pin to far forward on the bolt?
Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 PM #4
volcomstone2262
Get it HONEY

volcomstone2262 is a Supporting Member
volcomstone2262 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I dont get what you mean by having a sled on an ego. Usually the sleds on cockers are connected to the pump arm which is connected to the ram. The sled is there so the pump arm can connect to it. Then the bolt pin connects to the sled/valve (I think)

On an ego if you made a sled it would be no different than the bolt sliding through the upper tube. I guess you could, but there would be added friction and there is really no point.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:43 AM #5
an94
Pirate till death

On cockers the bolt pin goes through the bolt then sled then goes in a slot in the hammer.
on an Ego it would just go through the bolt then the sled then connect up with the rammer. the sled would have only one purpose, to keep the back of the bolt from shifting around when its all the way back. I dont see why it would have more friction than just inside a tube.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 AM #6
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

has been a member for 10 years
You're both right. On a 'cocker, the sled attaches to the pump arm, which is moved by the ram during the recocking cycle. On a half-blocked 'cocker, the bolt pin goes through the bolt, through the sled, into a slot in the hammer. When the ram pushes the sled back, it pushes the bolt backward allowing another ball to load and simultaneously re-cocks the hammer. The sled then returns forward so that the bolt can seal off the breech. Because of the slot milled into the top of it, the hammer remains in the back position until the marker is fired, at which point it slams forward, opening the valve. After the valve has opened and the ball has been launched, the re-cocking cycle begins and the ram pushes the sled backward, allowing another ball to drop, and re-cocking the hammer once more. Putting a sled on an Etek would be pointless, as the Etek functions absolutely nothing like an autococker. Being open bolt, the Etek begins its firing cycle with the bolt as far back as it will ever go. And since it is open bolt, the ram directly controls the firing and re-cocking cycle. No need for a sled. You could put one on there for purely cosmetic purposes, but it won't function like it does on a 'cocker.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 PM #7
PaintballerFourLife
PB4LIndustries

Annual Supporting Member
PaintballerFourLife is a Supporting Member
PaintballerFourLife plays in the USPL
PaintballerFourLife plays in the PSP
PaintballerFourLife is an NCPA player
PaintballerFourLife plays in the APPA D3 division
PaintballerFourLife is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
PaintballerFourLife is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
You're both right. On a 'cocker, the sled attaches to the pump arm, which is moved by the ram during the recocking cycle. On a half-blocked 'cocker, the bolt pin goes through the bolt, through the sled, into a slot in the hammer. When the ram pushes the sled back, it pushes the bolt backward allowing another ball to load and simultaneously re-cocks the hammer. The sled then returns forward so that the bolt can seal off the breech. Because of the slot milled into the top of it, the hammer remains in the back position until the marker is fired, at which point it slams forward, opening the valve. After the valve has opened and the ball has been launched, the re-cocking cycle begins and the ram pushes the sled backward, allowing another ball to drop, and re-cocking the hammer once more. Putting a sled on an Etek would be pointless, as the Etek functions absolutely nothing like an autococker. Being open bolt, the Etek begins its firing cycle with the bolt as far back as it will ever go. And since it is open bolt, the ram directly controls the firing and re-cocking cycle. No need for a sled. You could put one on there for purely cosmetic purposes, but it won't function like it does on a 'cocker.
QFT.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:18 PM #8
sumo89

try and fit a zick kit in it, that would be beasty
Old 07-22-2007, 04:19 AM #9
an94
Pirate till death

^^^ Id have to make a whole new rammer sleeve.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:55 AM #10
paintballer50505
DONT TAKE THIS AVATAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
it would be purely cosmetic except the fact that it will be a bigger weight loss then just milling the top tube. with a delrin sled it will make the gun lighter which would be the upside to it as well as having something that no one else has...

the bad side is more dirt can get in there if you take a bad dive,(well it would be easier to clean off to that way as well)

do it.

ps. get me a measurement on the etek bolt and ill compare it to a turtle halfblock bolt and see if it can actually with little modification can be just be almost dropped on

Sponsored By:
TopGun Paintball
KEE / empire
BigEvilOnline
FloryPB

Last edited by paintballer50505 : 07-23-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:17 AM #11
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer50505 View Post
it would be purely cosmetic except the fact that it will be a bigger weight loss then just milling the top tube. with a delrin sled it will make the gun lighter which would be the upside to it as well as having something that no one else has...
So adding a chunk of delrin where none was before will result in weight reduction? I hate to break it to you, but delrin isn't an anti-gravity material. What I mean by purely cosmetic is that the sled will serve no actual mechanical purpose on the gun as it does on an autococker. Cutting off the top tube that far would make the bolt unstable and destroy performance anyway. Which will indeed give you something that no one else has: a non-functional Ego with a useless chunk of extra material hanging off of the bolt.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 AM #12
braneserjen
hmm...Collide-a-scope?

Wow. Just wow. No, seriously though, you could maybe window the upper tube and get away with it, but thats about it. Anything else may be damaging to your etek.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:25 AM #13
loopy98
My balls itch

long time no an94

Old +5 /-0New +15/-0
Old 08-06-2007, 04:36 PM #14
iwantangel
SDG

if you have the money get it milled so a star frame would fit
joy division fan #831
ICE ANGEL 1
DYNASTY NXT