Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-15-2002, 06:20 PM #1
chrisdafu
~The Garbage Men~

has been a member for 10 years
Compatibility Q

I have an ECS K7SEM mobo that has a duron 1gig in it now. I was wondering if I could buy one of the new athlon xp's (1600+) and wanted to know if it would work with my mobo. I looked them both up and they both say socket A so Im thinking it will work but Im just starting to get into computers and overclocking. Also when I was changing the stuff in the BIOS to make it faster when I tried to to go higher than 1.12 my computer wouldnt do anything. It wouldnt even bring up a picture on the screen. At first I thought I fried my chip but when I took the battery out of the mobo and set it to 1.12 again everything worked fine. I was wondering what this blank screen ment.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2002, 06:53 PM #2
dzhezKov
одиH

dzhezKov is a Supporting Member
dzhezKov is a founding member
I have never built a system with the K7SEM board but I have built several with the K7S5A board, and unfortunately I had very little luck using an XP1700 in one of those boards, it kept freezing even with the lastest BIOS flash. There is no mention of the site about Palomino support, even though the socket says 'XP' on it.

I would buy a Thunderbird instead, I know those work well. Keep an eye out in the 'Other' for sale forum, I'm selling a new computer and maybe some processors soon.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

"I've seen much of the world... It is brutal, and cruel, and dark."
Old 01-15-2002, 08:56 PM #3
chrisdafu
~The Garbage Men~

Do you have any idea about the not turning on thing? I tried it again and now it wont work even after I did the battery thing. I think I fried it
Old 01-15-2002, 09:20 PM #4
dzhezKov
одиH

dzhezKov is a Supporting Member
dzhezKov is a founding member
Oh yeah, forgot about that. That just your inability to post due to a high FSB, when you exceed the limits of your processor and/or Motherboard, it will do that. Dont mess with the battery, check the motherboard manual and see which jumper is the "BIOS" or "CMOS" reset jumper. There should be three pins and the jumper is a little plastic thing with metal inside that shorts two of those pins, pull that off and make it short the other pin, along with the middle pin, leave it like that for a few seconds, then move it back. Don't turn it on while its clearing the BIOS. After you move the jumper back to its original position, plug the comp back in and start it up, it should post.

"I've seen much of the world... It is brutal, and cruel, and dark."
Old 01-16-2002, 04:04 PM #5
Chad0989

Yeah, dzhezkov is right about the not being able to post because of FSB thing, to get any higher your going to need either, a new power supply, better RAM, and/or a new heatsink and fan. As for the processor you might want to check around on the net for the latest BIOS revision. Many motherboard manufacturors have release updates to support the XP chips.