PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 PM #1
PoisonMushroom
Paintball? What?

Crazy air usage...

Okay guys, my NME LE is messed up. This last time of using it, it started making an unusual noise when shooting. Compared to the normal "pop" of a paintball being fired from the gun, the new noise was more like a "pop-kuhsss". It does it VERY frequently (like 75% of the time), but it does fire "normally" at random. The weird thing is that it was using air like crazy. After 2 games using maybe 2 hoppers and 2 pods total, I had 300 psi left in my Crossfire 68/45 tank (HP BTW). When I chrono'd the gun, it was shooting okay. Not great, but within about 8fps of what I wanted. The gun shot just as fast as it normally did, with shots going the correct distance each time, but it was eating air like crazy. I reset the board to factory settings because I thought I had accidently messed something up, but to no avail; the gun still made the noise and still ate crazy amounts of air. The sound is ONLY heard with a paintball being fired. Without a paintball, the sound is not there, but it still eats up the air.

Some of the guys at the field said to tear it apart and check the ram and poppet o-rings. I did, and they ALL looked good. I also checked the hoses and nothing was wrong with them either. I gave it a good lubing, and put it back together. The noise was still there along with the bad efficiency. I've taken the gun to a shop, and their airsmith is gonna look at it. However, in the meantime I'm asking here to see what it might be. Any ideas?

TL;DR: Gun eats air like crazy, "pop-kuhss" sound made when shooting, lubed up and checked hoses-still does it, gun at airsmith right now
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 PM #2
Nikilwig
Double Up

Nikilwig plays in the PSP
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Dwell??? And some of the o-rings could be bad or really worn on the under side. What's your pressure reading?

Have you shot a Vangaurd Demon yet?
Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA
Old 07-14-2007, 11:19 PM #3
PoisonMushroom
Paintball? What?

No offense, but reread my post about the dwell. The day it started, I reset the board to factory settings (turn on menu mode, hold trigger for 6 seconds). Dwell wasn't the problem.

I checked the orings, and they all seemed to be okay. Little to no wear on them. I did not replace any orings.

I assume you are asking about the LPR pressure. I originally had it at about 80ish. I raised it to 100psi, and still the same thing. I did not lower it.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:13 AM #4
SEAL 6
The Anti-Hype

SEAL 6 is playing at Living Legends VI
SEAL 6 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
replace your ram o-rings. i don't care if you say that they look fine, just replace them. THEN, put less lube on your ram. THEM set your dwell to 9, HPR to 220 and LPR to 90. tell me how it shoots (not worrying about the high FPS), then lower the LPR until it shoots smooth enough and at the right speed.
System X NME LE Black/Silver
(but everyone still loves the minimag)
Old 07-15-2007, 03:26 AM #5
loser555

300 psi isnt that much could be why but im guessing that you just need to lube or change your o-rings
Old 07-15-2007, 12:21 PM #6
rking11319
TCSO B#60

Yeah I agree, change the orings it sounds like you getting blow by when your gun is trying to recock.
RUSSIAN LEGION FAN #946
Feedback +4/-0 (old system)
Feedback +17/-0 (new system)
Old 07-15-2007, 12:33 PM #7
PoisonMushroom
Paintball? What?

Okay, then. Right now the gun is at a local shop being looked at by their tech. If he can't fix it (I'm pretty sure he can), then I'll change the orings when I get it back after vacation.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:20 AM #8
Brute06

If it's not the o-rings, then my guess would be that the LPR is too high. Sometimes that can actually freak out the gun. The NME is supposed to operate at around 60 psi.

I had this problem when I got my first NME, it turned out to be a bad noid. What might have happened is that you got a dirty air fill (not entirely uncommon) and a small piece of dirt is clogging up the exhaust port on your noid. If that's the case, I guess you could try to unclog it yourself, but be very very careful and make sure you know what you're doing. Either way you might find yourself buying a new noid.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:03 PM #9
Loony

Loony owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAL 6 View Post
replace your ram o-rings. i don't care if you say that they look fine, just replace them. THEN, put less lube on your ram. THEM set your dwell to 9, HPR to 220 and LPR to 90. tell me how it shoots (not worrying about the high FPS), then lower the LPR until it shoots smooth enough and at the right speed.

Sorry to do a mini-hijack, but how do you set the HPR to 220 with only a gauge for the LPR?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:25 PM #10
SEAL 6
The Anti-Hype

SEAL 6 is playing at Living Legends VI
SEAL 6 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
It's more of an approximation but it should be at about1-2 threads showing. however, if someone you knmow has a junction that goes between the body and the reg that has a guage attached, you could use that.

setting the pressures between the HPR and LPR is a balance because it is the pressure of the HPR that actually seals the poppet. If that pressure is too high, it will require more force from the LPR to open it. If it is too low, then there won't be enough pressure to fire the ball. 220 HPR and 80 LPR is a good setting. (from the timmy and macdev forums)
System X NME LE Black/Silver
(but everyone still loves the minimag)
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 PM #11
loser555

if you have an extra guage and asa you can take the elbow out of the nme asa and put the guage in and hook up a macro line from another asa to the reg and have the reg skrewed into the asa with the guage on it and plug the tank in to the extra asa