Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-06-2007, 08:05 PM #1
matty man

shooting a paintball gun out of a vehicle?

I've heard debates whether paintballs guns are considered weapons or not. I really can't find too much in my state (nj) on the issue. Would shooting a paintball gun out of a vehicle be considered illegal, because I know with a weapon it is.
matty man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-07-2007, 05:22 PM #2
snufferoo (Banned)
****in' Jagerbombs.

Why would you want to, whether its legal or not?

Last edited by snufferoo : 07-07-2007 at 10:42 PM.
snufferoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 PM #3
Gonzoso

illegal

Having a tank on a paintball gun in a vehicle is the same as having a loaded gun, federal law. maximum sentence is 5 years fed prison and 50,000$ fine. Don't believe me, try it. They did this because people have been killed by dumb kids shooting paintball guns out of cars. ex: 60 year old man is shot while riding bicycle, crashes, breaks neck and dies in Louisiana. Don't be dumb and disrespect the sport.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:36 PM #4
matty man

Are you serious... someone died. I'm not trying to disrespect the sport, or even want to. I respect paintballing and don't want to ruin it for other people. I didn't know what the law was, which is why I posted it here. It's just that the other day my brother hit a deer at night and there's just so many deer in my area. I was thinking about having a paintball gun in my car, so if i see a deer just pop it once and scare it off so other people don't run into one. I didn't know if that was legal or not and I'm not trying to disobey the law in any way.
matty man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 AM #5
Gonzoso

$$$$$

Nope, not a good idea to carry in your car. If you try to tell a cop that story, he will never believe you. If they are real dicks, they can take your gun as well.

As a Biology student, hunter, and outdoorsman, the only reason to shoot an animal is to kill and eat it, or to cull a diseased animal from the population. A paintball shot into the eye will most likely cause a painful infection that will slowly spread through the blood and into the brain. It would be slow, and miserably painful.

Not saying that you would intentionally do that, but we all know how innaccurate paintball guns are. If you get a dimple, or a velocity spike, or a little bubble, whatever, the *** to the eye is only a few feet.

Get an airhorn. install an aftermarket one on your car, or buy a cheap boat horn. They have tons of uses.

Besides, shooting the deer would scare it. Once they cross the road, they are going somewhere, they don't just wander, they hate roads and people too.(unless they are around idiots that feed them) If you spook them, they usually freak out and might run any way imaginable. They usually run ahead, and then circle around somewhat, depending on the topography. Best to just let them go. Or buy a compound bow and a cookbook.

Last edited by Gonzoso : 07-09-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:48 PM #6
JFBomber
Joint Fury Plank-Owner

In any case where a paintball marker is being used in a aggressive manner, outside of play with two consenting parties, could be considered assualt with a deadly weapon.

Same thing applies to anything not used correctly (IE: a Nail gun)

Better make sure the person you are shooting at is also playing.......
Charmin
Nachos
The Question Mark "?" TM
AND our Newest Sponsor.........GOO be GONE! (For when the paste-eaters take over your local paintball game)

JOINT FURY: TERRORIZING THE PAINTBALL COMMUNITY AT LARGE SINCE 1996
JFBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:41 AM #7
PLEXI
You can't drink just six!

Some kids got in huge trouble whe they were driving down the highway shooting eachother in cars. The driver happened to get distracted and hit a partition of some sort, the car flipped over and someone died.

"Originally posted by zoink: Eww he ate a homeless guy. He should have eaten someone a little cleaner. Why eat ground beef when you could have steak."
"Originally posted by pb12shooter:
If its a lady cop, ask her why she didn't offer you a sammich when she came to your window."

PMR Owners Group
PLEXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:07 AM #8
Icetre (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snufferoo View Post
Why would you want to, whether its legal or not?
even if it was legal why would you even do that?
Icetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:27 AM #9
scrounger

Ok, here is some advice to anyone who has a question on if something involving paintball is legal in their town or state.

If town, go to your local police station and respectfully ask your questions. Please don't dress like a "gang banger".

For the state go to your local state/highway police/trooper station.

As long as you are respectful and present yourself respectfully, you will be suprised how helpfull they will be. Some may even ask where you play paintball so they can play.

Scrounger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:27 PM #10
Icetre (Banned)

its illegal. cops consider paintball guns a weapon.
Icetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:15 AM #11
bnctaj

has been a member for 10 years
It also depends on your location and the knowledge of the police officers or sheriffs which you may encounter. They're computers; they cannot recall everything off their head.
For example a few years ago the local police force had to confirm with the local judge/state police barracks' computer the legality of riding a lawn mower alongside the road whilst intoxicated. Many thought it was fine, for he was on his property (albeit skirting the state highway). As it turns out he was arrested and charged with operation of a motor vehicle under the influence of a controlled substance.
bnctaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:40 AM #12
foyt20

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty man View Post
I've heard debates whether paintballs guns are considered weapons or not. I really can't find too much in my state (nj) on the issue. Would shooting a paintball gun out of a vehicle be considered illegal, because I know with a weapon it is.
Yes.
foyt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 PM #13
cockinmyhand

if you get shot in the eye, would it cause an injury?

illegal to shoot out of a car. you can get charged with a "drive-by" real charge is "shooting at an inhabited dwelling" and carrying a weapon charge. if you hit someone, assault with a deadly weapon.

still wanna shoot out of a car?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 AM #14
dablue
The Entire Cavalry

Quote:
short answer:
DUH! its illegal

in depth answer:
Shooting paintballs at anyone who is not currently in a game when you shoot them is considered assault (w/ a weapon , etc etc etc)

A paintball marker is considered a weapon outside of games when used just as a bat is a weapon when used to hit someone or something besides in a game.
J.S.O.C. - Joint-Special-Operations-Command
dablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:54 PM #15
cykarr

Quote:
If you have a loaded paintball marker inside of your car it is considered a firearm. So it will fall under the same rules as a wepaon...yes it is illegal.

Also if you get caught shooting at a deer you will most likely get in trouble.
cykarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:33 PM #16
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
A paintball gun would never legally be considered a firearm... that is absurd. Read the legal definitions of a firearm in the ATF regs they specifically mention that an airgun can never be a firearm. Therefore they would be unable to apply legal firearm statutes to an improper paintball gun usage. They would probably charge you with aggravated battery or reckless endangerment.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM #17
dablue
The Entire Cavalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
A paintball gun would never legally be considered a firearm... that is absurd. Read the legal definitions of a firearm in the ATF regs they specifically mention that an airgun can never be a firearm. Therefore they would be unable to apply legal firearm statutes to an improper paintball gun usage. They would probably charge you with aggravated battery or reckless endangerment.
i was gonna post this just before scrolling down. I dont know why there is this much confusion.
J.S.O.C. - Joint-Special-Operations-Command
dablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 PM #18
crazyboarder9999

crazyboarder9999 plays in the PSP
crazyboarder9999 supports Team VICIOUS
crazyboarder9999 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Are you serious... someone died. I'm not trying to disrespect the sport, or even want to. I respect paintballing and don't want to ruin it for other people. I didn't know what the law was, which is why I posted it here. It's just that the other day my brother hit a deer at night and there's just so many deer in my area. I was thinking about having a paintball gun in my car, so if i see a deer just pop it once and scare it off so other people don't run into one. I didn't know if that was legal or not and I'm not trying to disobey the law in any way.
bro just honk ur horn thats wut i do it works fine

Contact me for more information
crazyboarder9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 02:45 PM #19
crazyboarder9999

crazyboarder9999 plays in the PSP
crazyboarder9999 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
and to that yea it is. read the law its a projectile its illegal just cops dont mind if your not being stupid

Contact me for more information
crazyboarder9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 AM #20
berserker19

berserker19 is an NCPA player
Just because there is a projectile does not make it a firearm. I am not only a paintballer but also an avid shooter and I have the ATF regulations book. So I have read the law. A paintball gun is classified as an "airgun" not a firearm. If the firearms laws applied to paintball guns then you would not be able to shoot it at a paintball field or even own one without a license in some states (like mine). And they would be considered handguns because of their size which means someone under 21 wouldn't be able to own one. Please do not confuse the term "weapon" with "firearm". The law hinges on very minute, highly defined words so there is no ambiguity.

Last edited by berserker19 : 11-29-2007 at 09:34 AM.
berserker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 PM #21
scrounger

Quote:
Just because there is a projectile does not make it a firearm. I am not only a paintballer but also an avid shooter and I have the ATF regulations book. So I have read the law. A paintball gun is classified as an "airgun" not a firearm. If the firearms laws applied to paintball guns then you would not be able to shoot it at a paintball field or even own one without a license in some states (like mine). And they would be considered handguns because of their size which means someone under 21 wouldn't be able to own one. Please do not confuse the term "weapon" with "firearm". The law hinges on very minute, highly defined words so there is no ambiguity.
THUD THUD THUD THUD "hitting head against the wall"

Depending on the law in your area, "technically" it may not be considered a firearm, but that is not the issue here.

The issue is the USE OF THE PAINTBALL GUN. This is where the "its not a firearm argument" crowd looses credibility.

If you use your paintball gun by fireing it out of a moving vehicle it can be considered as an assault with a deady weapon. The legal issue is if it could be reasonably considered to cause bodily harm (which it can) and/or be considered at the time to look/act/threatened/used like a real gun, then you will be charged and (if found guilty) sentenced as one.

Example, you rob a bank or store with a bb or paintball gun that looks like a real gun, then you are charged as such. This "look alike" law was passed over 10 years ago.

So if someone sees you shooting a paintball gun (IMO increadably stupid in and of itself) outside a vehicle, you can face big trouble. If a law enforcement officer sees this, and does not realize it is paintball gun, you can face being legally shot.

I wish people would get off this kick "its not a gun and can't hurt you that much".

Overall look at it this way. I work for a sheriff department as an officer, and I also have a family. When there are sick people out there that mean to do harm to the public and myself with weapons...I do not have the "crystal ball" to see if that gun pointed at me is a marker or rifle. I am going home to my family and protect the public at large.

So in short, don't be a stupid jerk. If you do don't cry about it if you get hurt because of it.

Sorry to vent.

Scorunger
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote