ultimate poll - Page 8 - PbNation
Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Jesus
real 140 74.07%
fake 49 25.93%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

 
Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 07-04-2007, 11:01 AM #148
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
Care to post the verses where he is called a rabbi?
And Jesus answered and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he said, “Rabbi, what is it?” (Luke 7:40)

A lawyer asked him a question to test him: “Rabbi, what is the greatest commandment in the Torah?” (Matthew 22:35-36)

And behold, a [rich] man came up to him and said, “Rabbi, what good thing must I do to have eternal life?” (Matthew 19:16)

And someone in the crowd said to him, “Rabbi, order my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” (Luke 12:13)

And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, “Rabbi, rebuke your disciples.” (Luke 19:39)

Some of the Sadducees came up to him…and they asked him, saying, “Rabbi….” (Luke 20:27-28)

That is just a few of them; also note the diversity of those who called Jesus a Rabbi.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM #149
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
WTG

But just because his friends called him rabbi(in hebrew it means teacher)does not mean he was an ordained Rabbi in the religious sense. They were merely referring to him as a teacher.
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 AM #150
Zepplin1124
I am a noob
 
Zepplin1124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Knoxville
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
And Jesus answered and said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he said, “Rabbi, what is it?” (Luke 7:40)

A lawyer asked him a question to test him: “Rabbi, what is the greatest commandment in the Torah?” (Matthew 22:35-36)

And behold, a [rich] man came up to him and said, “Rabbi, what good thing must I do to have eternal life?” (Matthew 19:16)

And someone in the crowd said to him, “Rabbi, order my brother to divide the inheritance with me.” (Luke 12:13)

And some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, “Rabbi, rebuke your disciples.” (Luke 19:39)

Some of the Sadducees came up to him…and they asked him, saying, “Rabbi….” (Luke 20:27-28)

That is just a few of them; also note the diversity of those who called Jesus a Rabbi.
Rabbi is used widely to mean teacher or great one, so it would have been common to call Jesus Rabbi. This doesn't mean that Jesus was a Rabbi by today's standards. Furthermore, if Jesus was a Rabbi in the religious sense there would be writings about his work in the temple and his great sermons would have been given there. However, when we see Jesus in the temple it is more as an observer and a follower than as a religious leader, and his great sermons are given in places other than the temple.
Zepplin1124 is offline  
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 AM #151
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
WTG

But just because his friends called him rabbi(in hebrew it means teacher)does not mean he was an ordained Rabbi in the religious sense. They were merely referring to him as a teacher.
It does not mean that necessarily, but he was one. Check your sources.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline  
Old 07-05-2007, 11:17 AM #152
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah
 
cryptic.paintball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Uniontown Pa
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
It does not mean that necessarily, but he was one. Check your sources.
You made the claim that he was a jewish rabbi. Perhaps you would like to provide some proof of that, other than someone just calling him rabbi which in that time meant teacher.

Where are his works? Where is the record of him being ordained as a rabbi?
cryptic.paintball is offline  
Old 07-05-2007, 11:30 AM #153
Mastermind26
We are moons
 
Mastermind26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Although IDK that He was an ordained Rabbi, didn't He wear a TZITZIT like a Rabbi? That is what I understood from the passage of the woman (with the flow of blood for 12 years) that touched His garments.

Someone correct me plz.
__________________
†Christ † Krew†

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline  
Old 07-05-2007, 12:02 PM #154
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.
 
RamboPreacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Iowa
RamboPreacher is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post
WTG

But just because his friends called him rabbi(in hebrew it means teacher)does not mean he was an ordained Rabbi in the religious sense. They were merely referring to him as a teacher.
exactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Shaffir View Post
Maybe he was a Rebbe, perhaps Mendel Jesus Schlomo Christ?
hehehehehee - good one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
Although IDK that He was an ordained Rabbi, didn't He wear a TZITZIT like a Rabbi? That is what I understood from the passage of the woman (with the flow of blood for 12 years) that touched His garments.

Someone correct me plz.
tzitzit can refer to many things, but if you are talking about the prayer shawl (with tassels/fringes), then maybe. but this is not about being a rabbi, but an observant/orthodox? Jew.

the Jewish New Testament in all three verses mention the tzitzit of his robe (the miracle where the womans bleeding/hemorrhageing ceased) The Greek word used is kraspedou (from the root form kraspedon) - simply meaning the edge, or border of the garment (whether there was tassels or not). It COULD refer to the Jewish use of the tassels.

However, from those few references, I would not conclude that Jesus was an actual rabbi, except in the colloquial use of the word. the challenge is that they had the Temple at that time and really rabbinical developed leadership hadn't come into being en mas yet, as I understand.
__________________
Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling
Founder of the CPPA - Christian Paintball Players Association
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
RamboPreacher is offline  
Old 07-05-2007, 12:05 PM #155
Ari Shaffir (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post
Although IDK that He was an ordained Rabbi, didn't He wear a TZITZIT like a Rabbi? That is what I understood from the passage of the woman (with the flow of blood for 12 years) that touched His garments.

Someone correct me plz.

A tzitzit is not exclusive to rabbi's.
Ari Shaffir is offline  
Old 07-05-2007, 12:16 PM #156
Mastermind26
We are moons
 
Mastermind26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Thanks for the corrections. Maybe it was the significance of the TZITZIT that caught my eye to conclude the rabbinical assumption.
__________________
†Christ † Krew†

CK member #04 (???)
Mastermind26 is offline  
 




Posting Rules
Forum Jump