Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Protecting Against Burglary

Insurance
I can't stress this one enough. Make sure your business insurance covers theft. A lot of business owners have the misconception that their paintball insurance covers theft. NSERA offers an additional policy that covers theft and fire.

Liability Document
Most paintball insurance policies will not cover customer-owned markers that are in your store. To protect yourself from the liability of a customer's gun being stolen, I recommend having the customer sign a document stating that you're not to be held liable, should their gun be stolen. This document won't prevent them from suing you, but it may be enough for you to win your case. If a customer's gun is stolen, advise them to check their homeowner's or renter's insurance policy to see if it provides coverage.

Alarm System & Signage
An alarm system is a must. Don't go cheap. Systems that report to a monitoring service are best. Be sure to post signage on your doors and windows to deter thieves. The alarm system should be loud, using both internal and external sirens. The hope is a loud system will unnerve the would-be thieves and reduce or eliminate your loss.

Video Surveillance
Video surveillance serves two purposes: It can deter thieves and may help to identify the people who steal from you. Check your state and local laws to determine if video evidence is admissible in court and what steps you might need to take to use it as such. Position your cameras so that they take good images in all lighting conditions. Once you've set up your cameras, simulate a burglary and review your video footage. Be sure to try different lighting conditions (day, night, interior lights on/off). Review the video footage. Are you getting a clear image of the thief? Can you see their face?

If possible, consider putting video cameras in the parking lot and back alley, in hopes that you might capture a license plate number or the make of the car used in the theft. Place motion activated security lights near all entry points.

Give consideration to having the video feed stored off-site. I know of one local paintball business that was burglarized and when the thieves realized they were being videotaped, they set fire to the building.

Gun Log
A gun log is simply a notebook that contains the serial numbers of all markers kept in the store. As guns are received (new, used, or repairs), their serial number is entered into the log. When a gun is sold or returned to the customer, it is noted on the log. This log is also useful to determine how frequently you're turning over your inventory. Also, many compressed air tanks have serial numbers stamped on them. Consider tracking them in a log as well.

Keep this log in a place where thieves are unlikely to find it. If the log is electronic, consider saving it on a web server rather than your store computer. You can find a sample of a gun log here.

Other Stuff
Contact your local police department and see what their average response time is. Take this into consideration when setting up your store. If you can slow would-be thieves down long enough, they may be caught red-handed. You can slow them down by storing expensive inventory in a locked area, such as a closet. Don't store your inventory in an area that would-be thieves can see. If they don't know where/how you store your inventory, it will take them longer to find it. Locked cabinets that the thieves aren't expecting may slow them down long enough to be caught or keep them from reaching expensive inventory.

Put lower-cost, bulky items near entry points. It's much more difficult for a thief to take $2500 worth of paint than it is to take $2500 worth of guns. Hopefully they'll be in a hurry to get in and out quickly and will be content with taking these items than rooting around for the more expensive stuff.

What To Do When You're Burglarized
Contact the police immediately. Wait for the police before entering the building. Use your gun log to determine what markers have been stolen. Give these serial numbers to the police for inclusion in the police report.

Get the police officer's name and phone number. Also get the non-emergency phone number for his police department. Finally, get the case/report number. This information is necessary, should the thieves attempt to sell your items to another area store or field.

Contact all the fields/stores in your area. Send them a document with the following information: Serial numbers of stolen markers, case number, and the reporting officer's name, phone number, and department phone number. Without this information, a police officer may not be able to confiscate any found items. Should a person arrive at a store with the stolen merchandise, instruct the store to contact their local police department.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf gun log.pdf (65.2 KB, 256 views)

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field

Last edited by TargetIndy : 11-05-2007 at 10:48 AM.
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2007, 07:32 PM #2
teamsynister
Yes, I do play paintball.

Very nice information...im only 14 so i cant be a field owner yet but im hopeing to become one.
teamsynister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 AM #3
der51106
does it really matter.

i am a once aupon a time theif and wuold like to add my 2 cents to this.

a silent alarm would keep the theifs inside for the cops to catch red handed, IF they can respond in time, otherwise use something loud.

as for slowing the theifs down something as simple as a cable ran through the trigger guards would work great you can see this type of security measure at your local gun shop.

video will only work if the theif does not know that it is being used. place your cameras so they are not completly obvious.

use a computer to keep track of your customers. for example ask for name, phone, address when ever they make a purchase. you can then use this to give discounts to really good return customers and it gives you a instant suspect list.

for alarm trips do not depend on the door and windo sensers. people have been ripped off by the perp entering thruogh the wall or ceiling. use a motion sensor inside, or a sound activated type.

i know that either brinks or adt, maybe both have a setup that will also record sound after the alarm is triggered. this is handy for catching names that are spoken if the perp gets away.

in the end your most likely attack will be the smash and grab. the only way to protect against this is to use doors that are not all glass or use a bar/ gate system on the lower half. as for the window's either use the bar/gate idea or clutter up the path that they would take.

these are just the things that i notice when i walk into and "scope" a place out. any theif that has pulled more than a couple of jobs will see this as well.

if you have any questions that i might be able to help with pm and i will give you a .... honest answer.

der "LCC#"51106
"Originally posted by BXLNT: theives of other players guns can die in a hole sumwhere.... its just not cool. not every pball player is a spoiled rich kid. sum of us work hard for our expensive guns. enough said by me"

Last edited by der51106 : 06-29-2007 at 01:28 AM.
der51106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 AM #4
haydenisking

haydenisking is a Supporting Member
Sticky?
haydenisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:03 PM #5
devilmountainsports
NightStalkers

has been a member for 10 years
Stores should remove their paintball guns everynight and store them in a safe. This way the items are out of sight and hopefully out of mind. It is a pain to remove and put the product up every day but the extra 5 minutes may prevent a theft.

Target Indy-

Very good article much better than what we usually see around here.

I no longer own DMSPaintball.com. Call the store directly at 925-608-3319 for all your questions.
devilmountainsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:35 PM #6
selfinfliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmountainsports View Post
Stores should remove their paintball guns everynight and store them in a safe.
I don't think you would need a safe if you purchased a trunk monkey:

http://www.trunkmonkeyad.com/4wmv.htm
selfinfliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 AM #7
Iron__Man
Give me a reason...

also, as local experience goes, there was a break in in a store here where the thieves knocked in a wall mounted a/c unit to get the guns. the motion censors didnt pick them up because they were out of the arc of the thing (as the store owners explained to me), and the caera wasnt covering the high end marker case, just the door and register.

also, as a word of advice, another good anti theft policy is to keep customers happy. i cannto describe how many times ive heard players talk about breaking into a place just because the owners pissed them off that badly.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:23 PM #8
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Also, keep in mind that there is probably just as much theft is done by employees as non-employees (I know it's sad). If you have video surveillance (I would reccommend you do), then make sure it covers key areas where employees can do the most harm (i.e. cash register).
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:09 PM #9
Madpooh
1-800-mad-pooh

Annual Supporting Member
Madpooh is a Supporting Member
Madpooh plays in the USPL
Madpooh donated to help Peyton Trent
Madpooh supports our troops
Gun logs, good alarm system, surveillance system is a must. The field i work at got broken into about 5 weeks ago. The cops caught the kids that broke in, because there was a witness and also the stupid kids started shooting up the neighbor hood. But all the stuff they took are currently beheld till the trial. My friends Dye Angel was taken too. He won't be seeing that till the trial is over, and also the 10 rental markers they took
Madpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:09 AM #10
Yankee Paintball
www.YankeePaintball.com

I second the sticky. Or add it to the staarting a field thread.
YP
Eric
Owner-Manager Yankee Paintball
Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE. Distributor for Valken, KEE and GI Sportz.
203-906-9621 or 9622
Yankee Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:00 PM #11
LA MEAT

LA MEAT owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Awsome write up... another thing to think about would be to have a photo of the markers you have in stock, not every police officer knows what the marker looks like ect.. that will help him document each marker (or high dolloar items) in the report so someone that has no idea what they are talking about will be able to look at photo and also read the description. Another thing you might do from time to time is to do a video walk around of your store, so if this does happen you can later look back at the video and see if you missed items or not.
Just trying to look out for the businesses....
FOD Field of Dreams

Old Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=56242
LA MEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:04 PM #12
W.K.S.631

Pull down gates work well . A internet based camera system that emails you when you have the cameras set to motion on a schedule for times when closed. Been installing security systems for awhile. Try Everfocus or Digimerge D.V.Rs . Good Luck
W.K.S.631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM #13
agdstorminnorman

agdstorminnorman posts videos on PbNation
agdstorminnorman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
agdstorminnorman has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
No one has mentioned dogs. I would come to believe that any one would think before stepping in a small contained area with a 100 plus pound dog for paintball equipment. It might be worth getting caught by the law(cause there is a good chance you can get away with it), but losing your arm or even your life makes think twice. So many shelters are full of dogs you require. The cost would be close to less of that of a security system, and you would be doing a great deed in getting a dog from the shelter. Thanks for reading.

Please pm for information on
T2 and S6.5 Slot blockers.
agdstorminnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 AM #14
pedrofb19
Sweet stroller ***

Annual Supporting Member
pedrofb19 plays in the PSP
pedrofb19 donated to help Peyton Trent
pedrofb19 plays in the APPA D3 division
well they have these at almost all carryouts is a panic button that locks the doors so they are impossible to unlock so ud need one of those and even if u r not protected by a security system always make sure that it looks secure even just bARS on the window can help drematically
pedrofb19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM #15
trumpdabeast
better kids through drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdstorminnorman View Post
No one has mentioned dogs. I would come to believe that any one would think before stepping in a small contained area with a 100 plus pound dog for paintball equipment. It might be worth getting caught by the law(cause there is a good chance you can get away with it), but losing your arm or even your life makes think twice. So many shelters are full of dogs you require. The cost would be close to less of that of a security system, and you would be doing a great deed in getting a dog from the shelter. Thanks for reading.
A dog isn't something you get to guard a place at night. If you're getting a dog for the purpose of guarding a shop, that means you're leaving the dog unattended for the night.... which is not only a bad idea but is pretty much neglect towards the dog. If you're going to be at the store with the dog during the night then you wouldn't need the dog in the first place...

That idea = fail
trumpdabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 PM #16
agdstorminnorman

agdstorminnorman posts videos on PbNation
agdstorminnorman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
agdstorminnorman has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpdabeast View Post
A dog isn't something you get to guard a place at night. If you're getting a dog for the purpose of guarding a shop, that means you're leaving the dog unattended for the night.... which is not only a bad idea but is pretty much neglect towards the dog. If you're going to be at the store with the dog during the night then you wouldn't need the dog in the first place...

That idea = fail
So I guess the millions of people that use dogs today and there use throughout history(From Before Biblical Times To The Present) was a failure because you have decided so? You sir need some facts before you decide to argue. Dogs have unlimited uses and it all depends how smart the owner is and how much time they are willing to devote to training. Here is some more facts for you,
Burglars said they don't like dogs. 44% said a barking dog would prevent them from breaking into a house or business. Another 56% suggested homeowners get a dog in order to prevent break-ins. The only deterrent that rated higher was "having people around."
Its not like the dog is living in paradise at a shelter, it would at least have a job and a home, instead of death by injection(thats neglect). Its not hard to make sure the dog wont destroy things. Thanks for reading the facts.

Please pm for information on
T2 and S6.5 Slot blockers.
agdstorminnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:29 PM #17
thekid11

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdstorminnorman View Post
So I guess the millions of people that use dogs today and there use throughout history(From Before Biblical Times To The Present) was a failure because you have decided so? You sir need some facts before you decide to argue. Dogs have unlimited uses and it all depends how smart the owner is and how much time they are willing to devote to training. Here is some more facts for you,
Burglars said they don't like dogs. 44% said a barking dog would prevent them from breaking into a house or business. Another 56% suggested homeowners get a dog in order to prevent break-ins. The only deterrent that rated higher was "having people around."
Its not like the dog is living in paradise at a shelter, it would at least have a job and a home, instead of death by injection(thats neglect). Its not hard to make sure the dog wont destroy things. Thanks for reading the facts.
No I'm ganna have to disagree with you on this. What you say about dogs being successful in the present and in the past is true, But to an extent. You argue with information about how burglers don't like dogs (which I believe) and that burglers suggested Homeowners to get a dog as it would act as deterrent. Notice how homeowners stated this. One could also say "well many of these homeowners are storeowners", this is true but it still does not go into any information about having a dog, protect your store. And more specifically have a dog protect your store owner while no one is around. What seems like a perfectly logical idea, in my opinion, would seem to turn out to be a disaster. Training a dog to not destroy things, is one part of the battle, but what about all the other things? Some basics, Food, Water, Bathroom... I don't have a dog so this is just what I'm thinking. But even more importantly, something that can't be fixed by leaving out a bowl of food and water is, what if something happened to the dog. This could go in two ways. First if like something happened to the dog *naturally*, the dog might be able to bark and warn its owners, or would be able to show some signs around humans, but when not around people, what if it got really sick, or needed some sort of treatment. Your probably thinking, that would never happen, I have a dog and *blah blah blah*. I wouldn't know, im just pointing it out. Second part is what about the burglers. The benefit of having a dog in a home to prevent burglers is, the dog acts as a "warning system", the people find out, call the police and all is well. If a family is not there, you are around local houses who would either hear the dog, or the burglers would think the family is there and would hear the dog. But at a store, if the people knew no one was there, as obviously no one sleeps there, the burglers could go in and know that no neighbors would hear them, or they could do something to the dog to "shut it up".

I know I wrote a lot but you have to think more then just "well dogs have proved to be useful", but in what surrondings are they in, why are they useful, all that stuff. Also I agree with Trump that it would be neglent to leave a dog unattended in a store overnight, and ur excuse of "death by lethal injection, aka putting down the dog" is a lame reason to describe neglect, TO ME mind you.
Great article indy, Old thread, im going to bed....

TheKid

Edit: just thought of one other thing. What about paintball fields/stores that open on certain days and don't run all week? Good luck keeping a dog stay alive for 2-3 days alone, and/or not destroying somethings.
thekid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 AM #18
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

There is nothing wrong with leaving a dog unatended for the night. I'm pretty sure a dog could make it through on it's own without someone holding it's paw. As far as only being open during the week It's easy enough to check in every day and feed and water, take the dog for a walk, etc.

There is nothing you can do to make your place burglar proof. The trick is to put enough deterrents in place to make it not worth the thiefs effort.
Of course a dog is a great deterrent to burglary. It's one thing to break into an empty building and search at your leasure. Add a dog and you add a lot of bad possabilities to the would be thief. It could be vicious. It could alert more people. Burglars are not necessarily brave and a snarling dog will keep most away.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:04 PM #19
bryceeden

Good thread. Should definatly be a sticky.
bryceeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:45 PM #20
gnomepunk
The cake is a lie!

Locks are for honest people. Burglars will get your stuff if they want it.

There are much better and safer deterrents than locking a dog up inside your paintball store. It's not the point of if it would work or not, I just feel that you are asking for trouble if you plan on keeping a guard dog in your shop. What happens when you have a birthday party one saturday afternoon and some 12 year old gets bitten? Do you just keep the dog caged all day and only let him out at night to do his "Job"? That is neglect. Spend some time and money implementing the other options presented in this thread.
Linux Action Show
gnomepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 PM #21
linkthesink (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetIndy View Post

Liability Document
Most paintball insurance policies will not cover customer-owned markers that are in your store. To protect yourself from the liability of a customer's gun being stolen, I recommend having the customer sign a document stating that you're not to be held liable, should their gun be stolen. This document won't prevent them from suing you, but it may be enough for you to win your case. If a customer's gun is stolen, advise them to check their homeowner's or renter's insurance policy to see if it provides coverage.
Im not signing anything that says if someone at the store steals it they are not liable... As soon as you take control of the gun to fix or repair or whatever your liable... good luck finding people that will just sign their guns away

Last edited by linkthesink : 11-11-2007 at 04:42 PM.
linkthesink is offline   Reply With Quote