2002 iMac
700 & 800MHZ
Cd-RW, DVD-R
G4 Processor which is faster then Pentium 4
Flat Screen
Goto www.apple.com for more info
what do u guys think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indextop01072002.jpg (10.4 KB, 143 views)
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2002, 06:25 PM #2
chrisdafu
~The Garbage Men~

has been a member for 10 years
WOW I am a changed man. I have always hated hated macs and now this. It is soooooo tight. Im gonna try to convine my dad to buy one for the business. He might do it because it has a DVD burner and he wants one.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:41 PM #3
Chad0989

Re: New iMac

Quote:
Originally posted by matrix00

G4 Processor which is faster then Pentium 4
Well, it doesnt take much to be faster than a p4 . Im a 100% AMD fan, but in the p4s defense (never thought id say this) a G4 at 700Mhz isnt going to beat a p4 at 2 Ghz. Im sorry, but theres way too much of a difference in clock speed that the G4 would have to have more than double the instructions per clock cycle to be on par performance wise (the reason why lower clocked AMD chips perform on par with or better than p4s at higher clock speeds; they have more instructions per clock cycle, but not double).

But it does look pretty
Old 01-08-2002, 06:49 PM #4
Chemmy
Banned

Re: Re: New iMac

Quote:
Originally posted by Chad0989

Well, it doesnt take much to be faster than a p4 . Im a 100% AMD fan, but in the p4s defense (never thought id say this) a G4 at 700Mhz isnt going to beat a p4 at 2 Ghz. Im sorry, but theres way too much of a difference in clock speed that the G4 would have to have more than double the instructions per clock cycle to be on par performance wise (the reason why lower clocked AMD chips perform on par with or better than p4s at higher clock speeds; they have more instructions per clock cycle, but not double).

But it does look pretty
I think an 800mhz G4 is equivalent to a 1.4ghz ish Pentium 4.

Keep in mind that the iMac is Apple's consumer line. The upgrade to the G4 is right around the corner. There's talk of way faster G4s (In testing, Motorola had a G4 running at 2.5ghz), and the new dual core G5.

I think that the new iMacs are way cool, and I might buy the base model one for my dorm room.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:07 PM #5
Chad0989

Re: Re: Re: New iMac

Quote:
Originally posted by Chemmy

I think an 800mhz G4 is equivalent to a 1.4ghz ish Pentium 4.

Keep in mind that the iMac is Apple's consumer line. The upgrade to the G4 is right around the corner. There's talk of way faster G4s (In testing, Motorola had a G4 running at 2.5ghz), and the new dual core G5.

I think that the new iMacs are way cool, and I might buy the base model one for my dorm room.
Thats quite possible, im not against macintosh at all, especially with OSX, very nice addition. I just prefer the versitilaty of PC's as opposed to macs. Since the operating systems are different however, its hard to get accurate benchmarks. We just need people to start running a common operating system with the same benchmark on both pcs and macs to test performance. Linux would probobly be a nice choice for this. Just installing BSD on the pc might be another, but im not sure how different OSX is from BSD and how it would affect benchmarking.
Old 01-08-2002, 07:35 PM #6
dzhezKov
одиH

dzhezKov is a Supporting Member
dzhezKov is a founding member
I do not own a Mac, so I can not say if they are good or bad from personal experience, but I do know the reason I have not bought one is because of its proprietary nature and lack of support for my applications. I can say, however, that it is again one step behind, again. Intel is releasing their Northwood chip, a 13u process chip that supposedly has a 25% speed increase from the Palomino at the same clock speed. Supposedly. We'll see, if this is true, AMD and Mac alike will take a punch to the gut in terms of speed. Thats okay, I wont sell out, I'll put along in my AMD anyway.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

"I've seen much of the world... It is brutal, and cruel, and dark."
Old 01-08-2002, 07:58 PM #7
matrix00
Everyone was a Newbie!

there maybe faster Pcs at 2.0Ghz
but can u get one with a flat screen for $1299
i highly doubt it
it may not be the fastest but it is fast, small, includes a flat screen, cd burner
for 1799 u can get a superdrive( DVD-R and CD-RW) at 800Mhz
thats a pretty good deal
pro speakers are included too
was anyone at MacWorld, where it was released
any more opinions
keith
Old 01-08-2002, 08:08 PM #8
AutoMaggot

AutoMaggot is a Moderator
My eyes burn just looking at that thing... aaaahhhhhh!!!! Can they look any more lame and 70s?!?
Old 01-08-2002, 08:43 PM #9
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally posted by matrix00

pro speakers are included too
yes, well, are they "pro" speakers that cost 5.99 by any chance?
Old 01-08-2002, 11:12 PM #10
Dead_Head
Looking beyond...

seems like a big pain to upgrade, if even possible...

"Do not trust a swimming dolphin without his fins"
Old 01-09-2002, 06:11 AM #11
Chad0989

Quote:
Originally posted by dzhezKov
I do not own a Mac, so I can not say if they are good or bad from personal experience, but I do know the reason I have not bought one is because of its proprietary nature and lack of support for my applications. I can say, however, that it is again one step behind, again. Intel is releasing their Northwood chip, a 13u process chip that supposedly has a 25% speed increase from the Palomino at the same clock speed. Supposedly. We'll see, if this is true, AMD and Mac alike will take a punch to the gut in terms of speed. Thats okay, I wont sell out, I'll put along in my AMD anyway.
AMD has plans for .13 process soon, so I dont think that the processor performance war is going to be over anytime soon. Right now AMD is setting the standard with .18 chips. One edges out the other for awhile, then the other pulls ahead and so on. Also the Northwood just barely edges out the fastest Athlon XPs for only $670. I dont know, but i never plan on spending $670 for any processor, let alone one that just marginally edges out the competition.
Old 01-09-2002, 02:33 PM #12
NitroDucky
Banned

Looks like my mom is going to pickup the super drive one for the graphics work that she does....I can't wait.

Even though I'm more of a PC person.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:14 PM #13
matrix00
Everyone was a Newbie!

pro speakers cost 60 bucks buddy
Old 01-09-2002, 04:41 PM #14
dzhezKov
одиH

dzhezKov is a Supporting Member
dzhezKov is a founding member
Quote:
Originally posted by Chad0989

AMD has plans for .13 process soon, so I dont think that the processor performance war is going to be over anytime soon. Right now AMD is setting the standard with .18 chips. One edges out the other for awhile, then the other pulls ahead and so on. Also the Northwood just barely edges out the fastest Athlon XPs for only $670. I dont know, but i never plan on spending $670 for any processor, let alone one that just marginally edges out the competition.
There is talk of AMD rushing out the Thouroughbred and the .13u chip because of this Northwood. Who knows, seems all rumors at this point. I never incorporated price into the comparison, just Manufacturing size and expected speed increases, too early for prices just yet. If you remember Intel slashed prices big when the Thunderbird came out and started beating Intel at less than half the cost. Keep in mind this Northwood is an introductory speed, as in, the slowest to be released most likely. The slowest new style Intel edges out the fastest current AMD chip, if that is the case, I would be kicking my R&D into overdrive if I were AMD.

"I've seen much of the world... It is brutal, and cruel, and dark."
Old 01-09-2002, 07:39 PM #15
pr0kch0p
Fat Boys Are Back

i dunno, i just couldn't bring myself to buy a $1000+ lamp

Blue Fade Intimidator, 68/4500 Max-Attack, Blue 12v Revvy w/ X-Board and BallWhacker Mod, Chrome Drop Zone II, Lightweight Blue Mtn. Delrin Bolt, and More

Intimidator Owners Group Member #019

"As My Ideas Grow, You Shrink", Spongebob Squarepants To His Pencil
Old 01-09-2002, 08:21 PM #16
Chemmy
Banned

I used one today at the local Apple store. The base is less obtrusive than it seems in pictures. When using it, it's basically just a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, the bottom part seems just like the base of the monitor.

The chrome bar thingy adjusted smoothly, and didn't move once you let go of it. I liked it alot.

Dez: Motorola has their G5 coming out, and if the P4 is any sort of Intel standard, I'll wait for someone to do the speed increase right. Besides, right now processors are way ahead of applications, in terms of power available vs. power used. The only reason we buy fast computers is because we're guys, we need the fastest stuff.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:21 PM #17
FooSheezee

God! Can Apple get any gayer? That is the biggest piece of sh** i have every seen! Come on, apple is still at 800 mhz?! It doesn't matter if they are supposidly designed for video editing, almost all pc's can beat the crap out of it in any application with shear speed! In my expiriances with Apple computers (i.e. Imacs, and the brand new daul processor G somethings, they all suck big time! They are slow, unresponsive, crappy features (no floppy drive) crappy mouses, crapy speakers, very small keyboards make it hard to type, and they can barely run even netscape without freezeing! I say, stick to pc's, simoly because they are not designed to work, and are not manufactured to appeal to fairies and fruit cakes!
nmpb
Feed Back
Old 01-09-2002, 08:27 PM #18
Chemmy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by FooSheezee
God! Can Apple get any gayer? That is the biggest piece of sh** i have every seen! Come on, apple is still at 800 mhz?! It doesn't matter if they are supposidly designed for video editing, almost all pc's can beat the crap out of it in any application with shear speed! In my expiriances with Apple computers (i.e. Imacs, and the brand new daul processor G somethings, they all suck big time! They are slow, unresponsive, crappy features (no floppy drive) crappy mouses, crapy speakers, very small keyboards make it hard to type, and they can barely run even netscape without freezeing! I say, stick to pc's, simoly because they are not designed to work, and are not manufactured to appeal to fairies and fruit cakes!
On behalf of everyone at PBNation.com, I'd like to thank you for your intellegent post.
Old 01-09-2002, 08:50 PM #19
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
as much as i hate to, im afraid im going to have to defend apple here. foosheez, shut up. you dont know what youre talking about and it shows. ive said it a thousand times, MHZ IS NOT PROCESSING SPEED. MHZ IS SIMPLY HOW FAST THE CLOCK CYCLES. when you are dealing with chips with the same architecture, clock speed makes a difference. when you are dealing with chips with such a vastly different architecture, the clock speed cannot be used as a basis for comparison, at all. put your computer up against a dual 800 mhz g4 and see how you do. thats right, youll get owned. i dont care if you have a 2.2 ghz p4. you will get your *** handed to you hands down. why? because apple processors are able to do a hell of a lot more calculations per clock cycle than intel.

and as for everything else, i think we need to cut back on the macho here and realize that there are people in the world that dont think every computer should be large, rectangular, and beige. i will agree with you that the mice that came with the imac were sinful. i hate them and their circular design so much. but macs have their place in the world. i myself am not a mac person, but i know people who are. whatever works for you, as long as youre happy and youre not bothering me (acutally, just dont bother me, i dont care if youre happy). the design, well, i kinda like the macs look.

mods, edit this if you want, just dont close the thread. he needed to hear this, though.
Old 01-09-2002, 09:04 PM #20
Chad0989

Im pretty sure i already mentioned that, but yeah the guy above is a complete moron Foosheezie or whatever his name is one of those undereducated minions that doesnt realize that clock speed isnt as big of a factor as it used to be.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:05 PM #21
Chemmy
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Bagel
i will agree with you that the mice that came with the imac were sinful. i hate them and their circular design so much.
If it makes your day, apple is including their pro mouse with the iMacs. Instead of being black with clear plastic, they're white with clear plastic.

I use a Microsoft Intellemouse Optical when I use a mouse on my iBook. Go figure.