Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM #64
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)
Ex-2k5'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippmann playa View Post
I do not like the thought, but I like the people.
This is what skpaintball said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skpaintball View Post
Love and hate are two different things my friend.
Yes, I dislike the belief of Christianity, but Most Christians also dislike the belief of Atheism. I said nothing about disliking Christians.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:03 PM #65
Tippmann playa
Workin' dat insulin spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEaglev2 View Post
This is what skpaintball said:

Yes, I dislike the belief of Christianity, but Most Christians also dislike the belief of Atheism. I said nothing about disliking Christians.
I didnt say you did....... Just commenting on one of your posts

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
Old 04-11-2007, 06:12 PM #66
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

"True Christian->True Atheist->True Christian" is almost unheard of"

I suppose you'd have to define "true atheist" - but that is the path I took, and I don't think it's anywhere near as uncommon as you think. I also have a friend who was a Catholic (probably not "true" in this case) who then became a very strong atheist and a well known member of atheism.net, but later became a true Christian.

It happens both ways, but unless you can prove that one way happens more than the other, don't say so. It reveals your bias. Not to mention the insulting quote in your signature. Again I'm sure it doesn't apply to many atheists including most in here, but a lot that I come across are more interested in spouting rhetoric and insults than they are in a reasoned discussion. It doesn't help their case.

Last edited by vijil : 04-11-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 PM #67
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)
Ex-2k5'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
"True Christian->True Atheist->True Christian" is almost unheard of"

I suppose you'd have to define "true atheist" - but that is the path I took, and I don't think it's anywhere near as uncommon as you think. I also have a friend who was a Catholic (probably not "true" in this case) who then became a very strong atheist and a well known member of atheism.net, but later became a true Christian.
True Christian: One who knows the Bible well and accepts Jesus Christ. Should not apply to anyone under 13 because they have hardly come of age
True Atheist: One who knows the Bible has numerous faults, studies those faults, can argue his point
True Christian v2: One who turns back to Christ not out of fear and rejects those many, many biblical passages that he once used to show the Bible as something evil

Is that you?

Quote:
It happens both ways, but unless you can prove that one way happens more than the other, don't say so. It reveals your bias.
I'm using common sense on this one. If you already know the obvious and numerous faults of something, why would you go back to it? It's like buying a car, but you hate the car because it breaks down once a month, the radio sucks, and the windows don't roll up, then 5 years later buying the exact same car.

Quote:
Not to mention the insulting quote in your signature. Again I'm sure it doesn't apply to many atheists including most in here, but a lot that I come across are more interested in spouting rhetoric and insults than they are in a reasoned discussion. It doesn't help their case.
I try to use common sense, rationalizations, and evidence when showing the Bible's faults. I'm sorry it's insulting, but the Bible is extremely insulting to me (See Lev 24:16; 1 Tim 2:10-11), so could you just stop making Bibles? Thanks.

Last edited by GoldEaglev2 : 04-11-2007 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:26 PM #68
or2d2
www.lupaintball.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldEaglev2 View Post
Yet how many people started out as pastors and are now Atheists. I used to be a Christian and posted in forums like these that all Atheists were wrong and even tried proving Jesus. But after reading the Bible a lot, I am now an Atheist.
i believe that once you are truly saved, you can not lose your salvation, there, but thats another topic and a huuuuuge thread worth of information...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM #69
FuzzyFish

has been a member for 10 years
needs numbers and details to be more comprehensive as well as information about which countries the subjects were from. I think some countries have better education systems and that variable could DEFINITLY screw up your results. Or this study could of had a bias, maybe the rounded up a bunch of religious people with brain damage.
Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —George W Bush Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM #70
alex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFish View Post
needs numbers and details to be more comprehensive as well as information about which countries the subjects were from. I think some countries have better education systems and that variable could DEFINITLY screw up your results. Or this study could of had a bias, maybe the rounded up a bunch of religious people with brain damage.
Look at the source, it has a list of the countries.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:53 PM #71
calebh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex06 View Post
I got it off some science blog, cant remeber the site.

i got it off some science blog.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 PM #72
alex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebh View Post
[imghttp://darkdiamond.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/pacman_chart_tn.jpg[/img]
i got it off some science blog.
Thanks for being useless.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 PM #73
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

Quote:
I got a laugh at the chart. A laugh is the most useful thing in the world.
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
Old 04-11-2007, 11:00 PM #74
calebh

Quote:
i do what i can
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 PM #75
Derr
•THE EDITOR•

In all honesty, that was very funny. And a surprisingly accurate chart.

:shrimponatreadmill:
ssgaR:I genuinely dislike this derr guy. •• GE: Derr gets laid more often than you masturbate. *Nevar Forget*
TheMahone2491: Dont worry no matter what you say almighty Derr knows what YOU are thinking when you write your posts.
corporationpaintball: Derr has high standards, but to meet those standards should be a goal that you move towards because it will not only better your life in the long run, but the lives of those you are in contact with on an intellectual level.
DJ.Barman.helicopter[Pilot].sportbike[Rider].lineservice[Man]
Old 04-12-2007, 12:49 AM #76
or2d2
www.lupaintball.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derr View Post
In all honesty, that was very funny. And a surprisingly accurate chart.
and you would know...
Old 04-12-2007, 08:35 AM #77
GoldEaglev2 (Banned)
Ex-2k5'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by or2d2 View Post
i believe that once you are truly saved, you can not lose your salvation, there, but thats another topic and a huuuuuge thread worth of information...
I was truly saved. I was originally a Catholic, then, after going to my mom's church, I was amazed and loved it so much, and accepted Jesus as my lord and saviour. I even had a "spiritual experience" when I saw people praying where I felt close to God which proved to me that he was real. This turns out to be nothing more than the placebo effect, and can occur in many areas of life. It's whatever you trick your brain into thinking.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42 AM #78
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

has been a member for 10 years
You guys do know that IQ is not an environmentaly affected trait right? Being poor and thus having bad education has nothing to do with IQ. IQ is a person's academic aptitude. Their natural ability to intake, process, and understand knowledge. Some people have a higher thresh-hold and some have a lower one. I for instance could never be a rocket scientist no matter how hard I try. I don't have the aptitude.
#12 Italian Baller
“The real test of a man is not how well he plays the role he has invented for himself, but how well he plays the role that destiny assigned to him.”
-Václav Havel
Old 04-12-2007, 12:46 PM #79
Caduceus

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
You guys do know that IQ is not an environmentaly affected trait right? Being poor and thus having bad education has nothing to do with IQ. IQ is a person's academic aptitude. Their natural ability to intake, process, and understand knowledge. Some people have a higher thresh-hold and some have a lower one. I for instance could never be a rocket scientist no matter how hard I try. I don't have the aptitude.
This is totally incorrect. One's IQ score is environmentally affected.

What you described would be what an ideal "intelligence" test would measure.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:46 PM #80
Lehk
<3 Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbeak2099 View Post
in theory a perfect IQ test would be that way.

in practice IQ tests are influenced significantly by environmental factors.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 PM #81
Caduceus

^^ haha! That's a good joke about the mathematician!