PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 04-03-2007, 12:50 PM #1
Nubster

New to Cockers....

I am looking for a new gun. I have always been interested in cockers but shyed away due to how difficult people say they are to maintain. Is this true? Also, this is going to be used for woodsball duty so I am looking for accuracy more than speed. I am trying to sell an r/c truck so when it sells I should have about $200 to spend plus maybe an extra $100 when my taxes come back. So what could I expect to see in the $200-300 range? Sorry for the extremely newb questions and I will be researching tonight after work. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Nerve Fan Club Member #4

FEEDBACK - pbnation

FEEDBACK - pbreview
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2007, 12:55 PM #2
Fakename76

TRILOGY TACTICAL CAMO would be my recommandation
Old 04-03-2007, 01:26 PM #3
Paintballer667
Original ehh?^^^

In the $200-300 range you could buy a decently upped ebladed 'Cocker. And know they really aren't that hard to maintain. Most people say this because they messed with somthing on their 'Cocker and didn't know what they were doing and in turn screwed up their guns. One you learn what your doing teching a 'Cocker is a breeze.

Edit- I hunt up in romney all the time...
Old 04-03-2007, 01:47 PM #4
SupaSupraBOB
CCSU Paintball

SupaSupraBOB is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
the only problem you might have with a cocker will be timing, and if you go the electronic route, even that wont be a problem. i have had my cocker for a few years now, i moved to an ion, and then a PM5 i was recently going to go to an EGO, but then i decided to finish my cocker instead, if you decide to go the cocker route, you will love it. And you shouldnt have much trouble maintaining it either. For your price range, you shouldnt have much trouble finding a mid range E-cocker.
05 Nexus G4H Ego
2k2 YAKUZA halfblock
Gen X Cocker
Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 PM #5
WorrPro

No! Cockers are not hard to maintain. I hate that rumor so much, they require a little more fine tuning than a spyder but are not at all difficult. Most view that as a good thing since it allows the user to time the gun to their own preference: where the gun fires, recocks, and how short the trigger pull is.

They way I see it you have two options.

Option 1: Buy a used partly upgraded cocker from these forums. Since you don't need/want speed you can grab one without an eblade and use your change to get a barrel kit. Cockers rely heavily on a good paint to barrel match in order to stop balls from rolling out of the barrel, the detent only prevents double feeds. Not to mention that a good barrel is key for accuracy. Look for one that has an after market inline regulator and lpr, as those will help the most with consistency and thus promote accuracy.

Option 2: Buy something new. You've got a lot of good choices here, from WGP the trilogy comp and pro series are great for the money and a 2004 prostock is a good choice as well. I'm not sure how big into upgrading you are, but the prostock is a little easier to do that to, out of the box all three guns perform identically. Whichever one you choose I would still advise getting a barrel kit for the same reasons as stated in option 1. From there you can customize the way you like with whatever parts you like.

For both options a good high flowing delrin bolt is a good thing to have, along with a comfortable drop forward.

As long as the gun is not E-bladed you can run either option on Co2 if you're not using compressed air already.

-------> 21 <-------
Old 04-03-2007, 02:21 PM #6
D4Disorder
dont shoot cats!

you could get a pretty good cocker for 200-300 used.
used is usually the way to go if youre looking for more for your money
Old 04-03-2007, 02:44 PM #7
Nubster

Thanks guys. I run hpa so that isn't an issue. I have had a number of highend guns before so I am not afraid of maintaining and upgrading. That is part of the fun I think. I am pretty sure I am going to make the plunge, just need to decide which one will suit my needs most.

Also, I have a set of stainless Freak inserts on hand from previous setups, how does that barrel system match up with the cockers? Are there other barrel kits that would better in you opinion/experience?
Nerve Fan Club Member #4

FEEDBACK - pbnation

FEEDBACK - pbreview
Old 04-03-2007, 03:08 PM #8
WorrPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post

Also, I have a set of stainless Freak inserts on hand from previous setups, how does that barrel system match up with the cockers? Are there other barrel kits that would better in you opinion/experience?
well...I personally hate the freak system, but if you already have it on hand and just need a new back it is certainly better than nothing. Systems with locking inserts are the way to go. Powerlyte and Empire both make nice barrel kits with that feature. I've always found one piece barrels and non-insert kits to be better yet though...my J&J edge kit is on the way, can't wait.

-------> 21 <-------
Old 04-03-2007, 06:09 PM #9
dhosinski
&amp;quot;HOZER&amp;quot;

Try to find a Prostock 05' or later. You should be able to find one for around $300 new if they are still available. Ahh, $289 at www.paintballgateway.com and $369 for a new Superstock. The Superstock is electronic and should have the Select fire board. It's very easy to use and the only maintenance is regular autococker adjustments.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 PM #10
euRasian32
Verbal Kint

Are you mechanically inclined? If you're the least bit and you can atleast understand a basic semi and/or pump, it's not hard to work on a cocker at all.

With all the help on the forums, the great tech articles, the stickies, and such... it's easy to time with all this help, especially with an eBlade. I got my first cocker in Jan and I took it apart and timed it myself. Played with it twice and it shoots flawlessly.

I got an E1Orracle for less than 300. I've found better prices here on PBN so check the F/S section.