Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 AM #1
uqpimp
www.paintballreport.com

uqpimp is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Broken Sony HDR-FX1!!!! HELP

So I had my fx1 on my tripod and the tripod of course fell over when my back was turned.

This is the end result

The body broke where the tripod clip mounts. Where the clip screws onto is completely fine and the camera still works perfect. Unfortunately the body broke. The body is not made from metal but a ceramic and metal shaving mix of some sort.

I have taken it to many stores and all they tell me is send it to sony or they can have some technician look at it. Most of the stores seem like they do not want to work on this camera which is understandable. One store suggested JB weld which I have started to consider. I do not want to send it to Sony and was wondering if it was possible to just buy another skeleton of the body and attach all the parts back to it, of course having a technician do that part.

Any ideas or previous experiences?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2007, 12:13 AM #2
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Drex17 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Send it back to sony.

Advice for the future:
-Never turn your back on hardware resting upon a tripod.
-Don't buy sony
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Old 03-28-2007, 12:42 AM #3
uqpimp
www.paintballreport.com

Seriously. Follow up question I guess, anyone know of a METAL bodied camera that has around the same price and specs as a fx1?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 AM #4
Fatty
Super Pimp

Fatty is a Supporting Member
Fatty is a founding member
I believe Canon's $1300 HD has a metal base to it. You could always go Panasonic (much better). The DVX100, while not HD, has full manual controls of iris, shutter speed, frame rate, plus a ton of excellent tweaks (chroma, master pedestal, detail, etc). If you spend $2000 on top of the DVX, you get the HVX, which is the bigger, HD version of the DVX. It can record on DV as well as 1080i. It also has frame rates from 12-60fps. THe 60fps records some ****ing badass slowmotion.

$4000-6000 roughly for either camera. They're what I use in film school.

Dave

My Feedback
Fatty's Facebook
Fatty's Flickr
Old 03-31-2007, 08:42 AM #5
MdkSniper
Nice Guy

off-topic, but do you have any clips online filmed with an HD handheld camera? I'm very curious about the quality, because i'm in the market for a new video-camera.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:09 PM #6
beachjunkie1015
Stoked User

lol the same thing happened to the fx-1 in my media tech class, some kid left it on a desk and knocked it over. repairs are going to cost us $800. hopefully itll be cheaper, or free for you. good luck
Spartan #33
Old 04-01-2007, 08:06 PM #7
uqpimp
www.paintballreport.com

Ya I called sony and received the worst customer service in my life, on the phone or in person. They said I only needed the tripod bracket which costs 30 bucks but unfortunately its not and they don't understand the problem. I will probly just take it to my local store and have them send it out to the nearest repair center on my behalf.