PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-25-2007, 11:52 AM #1
DylanTB

New to photography...

I have been getting into photography and my dad has a Canon Power Shot S80 I was wondering if this is good to start photography with and if not he said i could sell it for a better one I'm wondering what's a good camera to start off with and how much do you think this could go for. It's has no scratches or anything my dad barely uses it.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2007, 12:08 PM #2
Crises of Perception
Always Question

I think as long as the camera allows you to shoot in manual it's a fine place to start. Get used to what the different settings do and when you're ready you can look into spending the big bucks. It doesn't sound like you've done all that much research so google the camera...or check out this site http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/ and find your camera and read the reviews and such.
No need for greed or hunger
Nothing to kill or die for

...A brotherhood of man, sharing all the world
Old 03-25-2007, 12:12 PM #3
AntiHero47
ultionis unus

That should do fine for a beginner to be honest. The elements are the same, its a camera and can take pictures. Some of the features lack a bit but its still ideal to work on something cheaper then a DSLR to work on composition and your style. If it has a manual mode make sure you use that, start to learn what the ISO, White Balance, Shutter speed, and if you have it, Focal Range. You can learn a lot about the elementary beginnings what you need to know about it with a Point and Shoot.

I believe its better to work on that, as it doesn't cost you anything and you can work on your stuff. Then when you start posting some nice pictures and you have the income, go ahead and upgrade to a DSLR. If you find out photography isn't your thing as you thought before, you havn't payed $1500 on photography equipment and have to sell it all.

Black and Gold stuck in the world of Blue and White

Go Steelers!