PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-13-2007, 10:30 PM #1
PBallaCJ
your ad here

has been a member for 10 years
Adobe After Effects: What is it and Why is it needed?

Can anyone provide a general simplified explanation of what Adobe After Effects does? Why does one need it over Sony Vegas or Final Cut Pro? I see videos that are created with it but im not seeing exactly how it contributes? Ive searched but I havent come up with anything simple and informative. I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Stiffi 14"
Evil ASA/Rail
Reloader B
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2007, 10:39 PM #2
satanisanerd734
Steve Jobs is My Hero

"Animate your ideas. Adobe® After Effects® 7.0 software helps you create compelling motion graphics and blockbuster visual effects with efficiency, precision, and infinite variety. Take advantage of unmatched integration with other Adobe software, flexible 2D and 3D compositing, and hundreds of effects and Animation Presets to bring a new dimension to your film, video, DVD, and Macromedia® Flash® productions."

it is what you use to make things looked polished and spiffy once you have edited them in final cut or premiere or vegas or whatever... its a very nifty program, that comes with a lot of useful pre-sets.

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name."
- Charles H. Spurgeon
Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 PM #3
PBallaCJ
your ad here

What visual effects are needed after using an editing program with so many effects? it seems like thats all it offers then? making things look polished and spiffy? i don't understand that...and i hate most of the presets in Vegas, i almost always need to customize things so hows does after fx have useful presets? I don't want to use a bunch of different programs in post production if i could do it all on vegas unless the other programs boost the video quality substantially. also, doesnt after effects require a lot of plugins to function professionally?
Stiffi 14"
Evil ASA/Rail
Reloader B
Old 03-14-2007, 11:28 AM #4
ozzmosisx
Till the day we die.....

Aftereffects is a great Vfx program, mainly because its easy to use and it integrates well with all other adobe programs. but there is no be all end all post production program, while it is great for animation, compositing, masking and keying, its major weakness is rotoscoping. it only has a paint and clone option with no spline settings, meaning that it would be easier to roto in photoshop than in AE, which is a very long and tedious process. Combustion is a program id recommend for Rotoscoping/morphing. while combustion can do most of the stuff AE can do it has a bit steeper of a learning curve. so it comes down to what you are planning to do. and your best bet would be to use more than one program in post production.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:00 PM #5
JRX proto 05

I've played with it at school a little. it's pretty nice for adding extra stuff.
PRS 20th ann. custom 24 in santana yellow
Cherry Sunburst Gibson Les Paul
Black American Tele
Martin acoustic