Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 03-12-2007, 10:23 AM #85
Mastermind26
We are moons

Mastermind26 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath_ltd View Post
i have seen this in some of the adults at my old church...there would be a money problem and instead of giving it up to God for him to give them an answer they abandoned sunday morning service for like four months to work...its kindof like how in the Lords prayer its says "give us this day our daily bread."...if we ask God will give...when the Isrealites were in the desert...didn't he keep them alive for 40 years? so why i ask you would you abandon someone like that....someone who will take care of you no matter what...
That is true. Sometimes people abandon God to serve Mammon TEMPORARILY. Like when they need extra cash, God goes out the window and then they seek God when they can't fix it with more money.

Personally I made a commitment to set aside Sunday's for God. Right after my graduation my current company called me in after the interview and asked why I put down as not being able to work Sundays. This is a company that runs 24/7, so saying Sundays were out was seen as kind of a bad thing. I simply told them that I had church on Sundays and that I had reserved that time for worship. I was hired over the phone and have been in my job for almost 14 years.

God honors our commitments to Him!

CK member #04 (???)
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2007, 10:27 AM #86
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is a Mega Moderator
drefish99 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
drefish99 is BST Legit
Luke 18:22-25

22When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

23When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. 24Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! 25Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
Romans 6:23
“God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them.”-Max Lucado

Well the thing I find most amazing
In amazing grace
Is the chance to give it out
Maybe that's what love is all about

The most he did was die for me, the least I can do is live for him.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 AM #87
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Originally Posted by drefish99 View Post
1 Timothy 6:10
10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
Quote:
Luke 18:18-30
18 A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
19 "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone.
20 You know the commandments: 'Do not commit adultery, do not murder, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother.
21 "All these I have kept since I was a boy," he said.
22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
23 When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth.
24 Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!
25 Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."
26 Those who heard this asked, "Who then can be saved?"
27 Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."
28 Peter said to him, "We have left all we had to follow you!"
29 "I tell you the truth," Jesus said to them, "no one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God
30 who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life."
Quite fitting that yesterday's passage flows right onto today's.

Verse 24 is the lesson learned. The wandering from the faith displayed before Jesus. On the other side of the coin, those who do choose to follow find that from God they will receive more in the form of another family (the family of God) material possessions in the form of serving others (and the rewards those things bring to the soul) and eternal in the form of the rewards God will bestow on the good and faithful servants!

God honors our commitment to Him!

CK member #04 (???)

Last edited by Mastermind26 : 03-13-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:40 AM #88
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastermind26 View Post

God honors our commitment to Him!
Amen brother!
“God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them.”-Max Lucado

In amazing grace

Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 PM #89
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is BST Legit
John 6:35
35Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.

In amazing grace

Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 PM #90
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
35Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.
So pretty much What I see here is a control technique. Even if you can't eat your food and you die, don't worry, don't fight to better yourself because when you die you will be saved and go to hevan.

I can definatly see how this verse could be used in midevil times to opress pesant people.

Fact of the matter it is the constant hunger and constant thirst that drives us through to the future. Curisoity combined with the conflict of ideas, people, and competition are what drive us to better ourselves, and improve on the past generation.
From a great height
From a great height... height...
Rain down, rain down

http://www.bestpanamacitybeachcondo.com
Old 03-14-2007, 10:36 PM #91
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Sorry if I'm late with my "add"/comments but I'm off today. LOL

Anyway, this verse is a powerful verse in that it represents Jesus as the Manna that God sent. A bread of life for the Hebrew nation in the desert. A bread that man could never earn, but because of the clamor of the people. We as sinners were clamoring for rescue for a bread that could quench our hunger. God sent the perfect bread. A bread that not only took away the hunger, but satisfies and came from Heaven from God Himself! Our Lord Jesus Christ!

It is a great picture. It is a great parallel. It is the complete work of the Law in one man. That man is perfect and fills our spirit with life/energy to come to the Father! All glory to Jesus Christ the Son and Father in One!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisjonathon View Post
So pretty much What I see here is a control technique. Even if you can't eat your food and you die, don't worry, don't fight to better yourself because when you die you will be saved and go to hevan.

I can definatly see how this verse could be used in midevil times to opress pesant people.

Fact of the matter it is the constant hunger and constant thirst that drives us through to the future. Curisoity combined with the conflict of ideas, people, and competition are what drive us to better ourselves, and improve on the past generation.
I am sorry you see a control technique, when it wasn't it at all. When Jesus came down and was called the bread of life it was clear that it was not a physical hunger He came to satisfy, but a spiritual. If you took that route, you'd need to physically eat His body (cannibalism which is against what the Bible teaches).

Quite the opposite is true, in medieval times it would be used to paint the contrast of Jesus being the SPIRITUAL BREAD that satisfied the SPIRITUAL HUNGER that is eternal vs. the physical that was temporary.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 PM #92
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
Sorry if I'm late with my "add"/comments but I'm off today. LOL

Anyway, this verse is a powerful verse in that it represents Jesus as the Manna that God sent. A bread of life for the Hebrew nation in the desert. A bread that man could never earn, but because of the clamor of the people. We as sinners were clamoring for rescue for a bread that could quench our hunger. God sent the perfect bread. A bread that not only took away the hunger, but satisfies and came from Heaven from God Himself! Our Lord Jesus Christ!

It is a great picture. It is a great parallel. It is the complete work of the Law in one man. That man is perfect and fills our spirit with life/energy to come to the Father! All glory to Jesus Christ the Son and Father in One!

I am sorry you see a control technique, when it wasn't it at all. When Jesus came down and was called the bread of life it was clear that it was not a physical hunger He came to satisfy, but a spiritual. If you took that route, you'd need to physically eat His body (cannibalism which is against what the Bible teaches).

Quite the opposite is true, in medieval times it would be used to paint the contrast of Jesus being the SPIRITUAL BREAD that satisfied the SPIRITUAL HUNGER that is eternal vs. the physical that was temporary.
I guess that all depends on if you view religion during the 1300's as repressive or not. Your life sucks but dont worry, your spirtiual life will be good.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 PM #93
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
I guess that all depends on if you view religion during the 1300's as repressive or not.
And the original intent of the verse vs. the application during the time in question.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:39 PM #94
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:
And the original intent of the verse vs. the application during the time in question.
And if the majority of Christians today accually care what the original intention of the religion was or not.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 03-14-2007, 10:40 PM #95
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
And if the majority of Christians today accually care what the original intention of the religion was or not.
Intent of the original verse, not intent of the original religion (which is a whole other topic, but this is not the thread for it [read the OP]).

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-14-2007, 10:42 PM #96
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Does the intenet really matter if no one acknowledges it correctly? I mean I might as well post how I see it being used in society as it was.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 03-14-2007, 10:48 PM #97
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Does the intenet really matter if no one acknowledges it correctly? I mean I might as well post how I see it being used in society as it was.
You did post just that. This thread's intent is to discuss and I believe we have ended the verse's discussion. The topic can be addressed in it's own thread, but for now, we agree to disagree on the verse (it's application, the time, the audience, etc.).

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-15-2007, 09:36 AM #98
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is BST Legit
Great conversation. Seems that verse sparked some interest.

This is not at all directed to Jonathan. This was just so happened to be the verse of the day that I read today. Please don't take offense.

Proverbs 18:2 - 2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding
but delights in airing his own opinions.

In amazing grace

Old 03-15-2007, 11:10 AM #99
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:

This is not at all directed to Jonathan. This was just so happened to be the verse of the day that I read today. Please don't take offense.

I can't help but chuckle a little, sorry.

Anyway, the connection of this verse with yesterday's is somewhat frightening since a fool can be described as willingly turning a blind eye. In this case a fool by that passage is one who does not want to understand God, but is still opinionated on the subject.

A fool is also one who turns away from God and the passage from Psalms talks about this:

Psalms 14:1-3
1 To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David. The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, They have done abominable works, There is none who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
3 They have all turned aside, They have together become corrupt; There is none who does good, No, not one.

It is interesting that it is a prophetic psalm as well:
Rom. 3:10-12
10 As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;
11 There is none who understands; There is none who seeks after God.
12 They have all turned aside; They have together become unprofitable; There is none who does good, no, not one."

Basically everyone becomes a fool when God is rejected (in God's eyes).

It also paints a contrast to the wise:
Psalm 19:7 - The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple;
And here we see how wisdom from above changes or converts the soul and we actually find delight in God's Word.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-15-2007, 03:22 PM #100
mynameisjonathon
This is the new sound..

Quote:

I would take the time to point out that every christian on this forum takes pleasure in sharing their own opnions. I guess were all fools for expressing our belifes. Only the bible would have you beleive so. Oh wait the verse it self is an opinion. Go figure.
From a great height
Rain down, rain down

Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM #101
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
I would take the time to point out that every christian on this forum takes pleasure in sharing their own opnions. I guess were all fools for expressing our belifes. Only the bible would have you beleive so. Oh wait the verse it self is an opinion. Go figure.
Take the Christian out and insert atheist and the paragraph holds true.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-15-2007, 04:03 PM #102
KyPaintBawler (Banned)
**** Off!

Quote:
Take the Christian out and insert atheist and the paragraph holds true.
or islam or hindu or pagan or every breathing human being, and some not breathing.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:10 AM #103
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is BST Legit
Romans 16:17-18
17I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.

In amazing grace

Old 03-16-2007, 10:24 AM #104
Mastermind26
We are moons

Quote:
Romans 16:17-18
17I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people.
I'd just like to say that I know people are gonna chime in with at the fact that it says to not listen other people with different beliefs and that naive will be used towards us.

However we know what the passage was about, false teachers or those that use the TRUE gospel for personal gain (read as $$$ or fame, power, or an combination thereof). Jesus Himself warned of these people that are looking out for number 1, themselves.

Matt. 7:15 - Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

I like the way Colossians explains it. A warning, a definition and a comparison:
Col 2:8 - Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.

IIRC philosophy is from 2 Greek words: Phileo = a type of love (brotherly love, from where Philadelphia comes from) and Sophia = goddess of wisdom. So basically a warning about loving man's wisdom over God's.

Also, Peter gives a clear warning of the end result for those that teach and those that follow it.

2 Pet. 2:1 - But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.

CK member #04 (???)
Old 03-19-2007, 08:45 AM #105
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

Annual Supporting Member
drefish99 is BST Legit
1 Timothy 3:16
16Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:
He appeared in a body,
was vindicated by the Spirit,
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.

In amazing grace