Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-28-2007, 12:22 AM #1
freestyleman
pew pew pew gtfo

freestyleman plays in the PSP
freestyleman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
freestyleman plays in the APPA D4 division
vm-68 q's

ok so i was workin the field today and a guy came up to me with his gun to chrono. i could tell it was old but wasnt sure what it was. i chronod it and the thing kicked like a real gun. it scared the **** outta me. and then it would even register on the chrono because it was shooting so low, and the guy had bought it from a pawn shop and didnt know how to mess with the velocity...
so questions:
1. is this the right forum?
2. where the crap is the velocity adjustment if there is one?
3 did people actually play with those cannons?

btw it was pretty cool to hold one though and look at far we have come in just since the 80's(i think).

|+23/-0 OLD |
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2007, 07:37 PM #2
snipe21

has been a member for 10 years
Velocity is adjusted 2 ways on a VM, fine tuning is done down the barrel, you might also have to check the "clock" on the main valve.

here is a good link: vmempire
http://www.vmempire.com/htav.htm

And yes, I have used one for many years now.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:42 AM #3
EVIL11806

VM-68 velocity

agreed with above post.
the velocity can be adjusted with a hex (don't remember what size) down the barrel in increments.

if it's shooting really low, you need to take the marker apart and turn the valve position. The valve on a VM has 4 positions with different sized holes to regulate the amount of air flowing through it. Adjusting this requires a special valve tool.

yes, lots of people used to have the VM. i used to rock one through the early 90's and i guess a fair amount of guys still rock them at scenarios.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:14 AM #4
A.C. Basbas
Official VM-68 Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyleman View Post
2. where the crap is the velocity adjustment if there is one?
3 did people actually play with those cannons?
I play with one 'o those cannons.

Check eBay, some guy named "Ron-Asp" sells both the semi-rare "valve-adjustment tools", and Ventury Bolts that can drastically modify your velocity.

I personally prefer my delrin bolt, but I have a Ventury for cold-weather days, that used in conjunction with an expansion chamber can make all the difference between chopped paint and a 1 shot kill.

Last edited by A.C. Basbas : 02-06-2007 at 02:33 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:26 PM #5
freestyleman
pew pew pew gtfo

freestyleman plays in the PSP
freestyleman owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
freestyleman plays in the APPA D4 division
thanks for the help guys. i will be sure to tell the guy if he ever comes back out. ive never seen him at the field before and i work/play there for about a year.

|+23/-0 OLD |
Old 02-09-2007, 12:31 PM #6
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

You don't need a special tool to adjust the valve.
You can do it with a very long 1/4" bolt.

But, if the FPS is lower then it should be, there is lots of small things that can cause that to happen.

Like, the valve FPS adjustment needs to be set at a "click". If it is between "clicks", it will have low FPS.
If the valve screws are replaced with screws that are extra long, then you will get low FPS. If you are missing the spring guide, or bumper, or if the nubbins are bad, or if the orings are bloated, they all cause low FPS.

I wrote that massive VM FAQ at the www.vm68.com site, though the site is run by Chris Mader. He knows just about everything there is to know.

nick
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 PM #7
Mercenarycommando
Attack, Attack Attack!

Can the VM actually kick?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 PM #8
CrunchyMilk (Banned)
Fargo Levy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenarycommando View Post
absolutely
Old 02-23-2007, 10:28 AM #9
RealtorTommy
Team OnGuard

I agree with hp...the info is correct...
Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 AM #10
Badmovies
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Let me put it this way: You will never need an electronic hopper on a VM. It has enough recoil that it agitates the balls in the hopper just by firing it.

First marker that I ever bought new was an EXC-68 and it still works today. The VM and EXC are also among the few markers you could use to club a mountain lion to death if need be. It is heavy as a tank. I think it is probably heavier than an M16.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:49 PM #11
dcent (Banned)

ahhhh the vm.
I shot one in the 90s as well as my brother and dad.
the team we played with shot vms with sp barrels ( the 2 pieces that didnt come apart )
then me and brother got puma and bobcat. then mags. then quit for about 10 years and for the last 2 seasons have been playing div3 local tournys with mags (2005) and ions(2006).
just rambling......the vm is one hell of a gun. Ive got one in parts in a bag (one with the expansion chamber) I removed the expansion chamber and lost parts to it so it is now a regular vm but the bolt wont return. it shot fine but low for a day. then it just started going *click* and no air release. bolt sticking forward. I lubed then it went full auto all the time ( like its out of air )
so its in pieces again and waiting for me to get off my *** and get a stronger spring ( hitting valve harder releasing more air in my best guess) any other ideas? its been a while since ive teched one of these tanks.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:48 PM #12
crackerman
I am the revenge

Quote:
like a mother ****er you wouldnt beleive my bros has shot reballs at over 550fps
U.S.Army
Old 03-01-2007, 10:42 AM #13
Yankee Paintball
www.YankeePaintball.com

I just need to correct HP on a little point the Valve is 3/8 ths thread not 1/4 everything else is correct. I have 3 of these monsters in different configurations, fun and louder than heck.

YP
Eric
Owner-Manager Yankee Paintball
Authorized Dealer for CCM,CCI, Tippmann, Planet Eclipse, Tiberius Arms, and DYE. Distributor for Valken, KEE and GI Sportz.
203-906-9621 or 9622
Old 03-01-2007, 08:24 PM #14
Ricka4

I still have some friends that have them still in mint condition. I used to rock one with a 18inch all american.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:47 PM #15
hp_lovecraft
Resident old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Paintball View Post
I just need to correct HP on a little point the Valve is 3/8 ths thread not 1/4....
LOL... you would think I would have got that right?

I often used the "emergency" trick. Where, you gun the gun up with the internals removed, and valve screws taken off.
The valve blasts out of the gun!

Then, reinstall by pushing in the hammer.

Not the best method, but does work when you don't have the tool, or 3/8" rod handy

nick
Old 07-22-2007, 01:42 AM #16
gunblaze1
Old VM's Never Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerman View Post
like a mother ****er you wouldnt beleive my bros has shot reballs at over 550fps
Crackerman I think your on crack!! The VM's "Kick" is a kick caused by the very heavy hammer or striker moveing forward and hitting the cup seal shaft.

It doesnt matter if the gun is shooting at 200 fps or 500 fps the kick is the same. Its because the Hammer weighs 9 oz. and that much weight going back and forth causes the "kick" effect.

Not velocity!!!