Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-11-2006, 07:56 PM #43
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
Commonly accepted by who? I checked the definition online and so did casey, so what exactly do you mean by "commonly accepted".

Also, no being on a diet or a vegetarian could not be religions. They tell you nothing of why you are on this earth, what you are meant to do with yourself, what happens after you die or answer any other religions questions, which taoism assumedly does. The comparison is so bad I hope you only made it for argument's sake.
Fair enough, you win I just think Taoism seems to be more of a lifestyle than anything.

My comparison was used because I didn't understand your definition fully.
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2006, 09:16 PM #44
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

My friend and I are talking about whether Taoists are anarchists.

This is in the purest form, though. Nothing logistically speaking. I say they aren't ,because it seems to be against their principles.

But I'm unsure.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:22 PM #45
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlausen View Post
My friend and I are talking about whether Taoists are anarchists.

This is in the purest form, though. Nothing logistically speaking. I say they aren't ,because it seems to be against their principles.

But I'm unsure.
Actually there is a specific quote in the Daodejing that kinda points to anarchism, something about "I let go of government and people govern themselves". That isn't the exact quote but it is something to the effect of that. So I would have to say they ARE anarchists.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:27 PM #46
Jlausen
synthetic like rayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Actually there is a specific quote in the Daodejing that kinda points to anarchism, something about "I let go of government and people govern themselves". That isn't the exact quote but it is something to the effect of that. So I would have to say they ARE anarchists.
I found this, and this is what I was leaning towards.

Quote:
Although philosophical Taoist appear to be anarchist, it is clearly an over statement. Mitigated Anarchism would better categorize the philosophical Taoists, they tend to believe in the idea that the government should act in a 'non acting' or 'wu wei' manner.
The government can operate, but it shouldn't greatly influence the people's lives.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:31 AM #47
Topazbullet
Don't hate. Dominate.

Whoa, I forgot about this thread.

Anyways, the issue on Gods:
There is not Taoist temple around WNY. We go to a Buddhist temple near Niagra every once in a while, and we pray to some of their gods. To us, they are all legitimate, as manifestations of Tao.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:44 PM #48
kmarriner (Banned)

I am somewhat of a Taoist. But I only know what I have read, I am looking for a temple near me where I can receive some guidance on my way to learning more and becoming more of a Taoist.